JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinSmith52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many exercises per muscle group?

I’m wondering how many exercises is best for building muscle. For example for biceps I usually try to do 3 exercises for biceps with 3 reps of around 10-15 each. I normally do this with every muscle group except for chest because I usually do more. Should I be doing more exercises per muscle group? I do chest, shoulders, triceps as one day. Then biceps and back another day. Then legs the final day.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Novices - 1 main compound and maybe 1 isolation. Look at the structure of routines like Fierce 5. Maybe they look like they don't contain enough but they were written that way for good reasons.

Volume requirements increase as you get more experienced and so can the number of exercises but I would still keep the same basic template of 1-2 main compounds and adding isolations where necessary to complete training of the muscle.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think 1 main, 1 assitance, 1 accessory is probably fine for most.

Rank novices I might just do 1 main, 1 acc
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do usually one or two compounds (one major, one assistance) and occasionally might do some accessory. Can't imagine spending the time to do 3 separate bicep exercises, I often don't even do one.

For example shoulders:

Major: OHP
    Assistance: Upright row
    Accessory: Lat raises

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JustinSmith52 View Post
    I’m wondering how many exercises is best for building muscle. For example for biceps I usually try to do 3 exercises for biceps with 3 reps of around 10-15 each. I normally do this with every muscle group except for chest because I usually do more. Should I be doing more exercises per muscle group? I do chest, shoulders, triceps as one day. Then biceps and back another day. Then legs the final day.
    Your entire program works together so you shouldn't think of it specifically as the number of "exercises per muscle group". Start with your compounds, and then fill in other exercises taking into consideration the muscles your compounds are already hitting. Manage volume across the week.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Your entire program works together so you shouldn't think of it specifically as the number of "exercises per muscle group". Start with your compounds, and then fill in other exercises taking into consideration the muscles your compounds are already hitting. Manage volume across the week.
    ^This, plus you also have to think about how much you're currently prioritizing a particular muscle. For example a routine designed to maximize bicep growth is going to have a lot more work for biceps than one that is designed to increase your quads. You'll never be able to have the optimum per muscle volume for all muscles at the same time.

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    ^This, plus you also have to think about how much you're currently prioritizing a particular muscle. For example a routine designed to maximize bicep growth is going to have a lot more work for biceps than one that is designed to increase your quads. You'll never be able to have the optimum per muscle volume for all muscles at the same time.
    This too.

It’s all a balancing act between muscle priority, fatigue and recovery when it comes to the program. That’s why advanced lifters tend to use more periodization within blocks to focus on specific targets moreso than others.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All good answers above to take into consideration.
    The number of movements isn't a main concern it's the intensity and what you get out of each set of each exercise that counts.
    Enough so your stimulating the muscle to grow.
    Long endurance training with lots of exercises and sets is not the most efficient way to go about it.
    You also need to determine which exercises work/feel the best on the target muscle itself.
    Everyone will be different for the most part in whats the best.
    Other things to consider are the protocols you use on sets themselves.
    So if you say do a drop set on barbell curls say (8x100-5x80-5x60) thats way more intensity in a set than 1x10 reps.
    So three sets of drop its would be plenty for that specie exercise.
    The rule is usually smaller the body part the less amount of sets needed.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like to go with one compound one isolation supersetted to failure per muscle group. Since it's failure I usually I do 1 or 2 sets an exercise, 3 each if i'm feeling brave. Always found that a pretty effective formula. Short and sweet but full of intensity.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261