tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

DIY Rackable 5ft ez-curl bar

Thought I would share this quick hack. I recently bought a used 5ft (59" actual measurement) ez-curl bar. Its not rackable but I rest the sleeves of the bar on my power rack safeties to do inclined skull crushers (and of course curls in the rack). It works but the weights on the bar end up being inside the rack so I have to lift one end of the bar off the safeties to load and unload the weights which can get awkward.

So I ended up buying a 2" ABS pipe (typically used for plumbing) which has an inner diameter of just over 2" and outer diameter of 2.38". I cut two 5.5" sections and slide each one over the ez-curl bar sleeves. Now my ez-curl bar is "rackable" as the ABS pipe spaces out the weight plates to be greater than the width of my rack. It does only leave 4.5" of space on each sleeve to put weights (including the collar) but that is still enough for a 45lb plate (and likely another plate) on each side.

There is just a slight bit of play on the ABS pipe over the bar sleeves but it works pretty well actually.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tytw00 View Post
    Thought I would share this quick hack. I recently bought a used 5ft (59" actual measurement) ez-curl bar. Its not rackable but I rest the sleeves of the bar on my power rack safeties to do inclined skull crushers (and of course curls in the rack). It works but the weights on the bar end up being inside the rack so I have to lift one end of the bar off the safeties to load and unload the weights which can get awkward.

So I ended up buying a 2" ABS pipe (typically used for plumbing) which has an inner diameter of just over 2" and outer diameter of 2.38". I cut two 5.5" sections and slide each one over the ez-curl bar sleeves. Now my ez-curl bar is "rackable" as the ABS pipe spaces out the weight plates to be greater than the width of my rack. It does only leave 4.5" of space on each sleeve to put weights (including the collar) but that is still enough for a 45lb plate (and likely another plate) on each side.

There is just a slight bit of play on the ABS pipe over the bar sleeves but it works pretty well actually.
    Nice solution..

I have the same Northern Lights rack. Did you make that plate holder out of the regular plate tree they had?

tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tytw00 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Nice solution..

I have the same Northern Lights rack. Did you make that plate holder out of the regular plate tree they had?
    That's correct. The old Northern Lights line used the same triangle support plates with same hole spacing for a lot of their products so I just installed the plate holder upright on the corner of the rack (rather than use the base it came with) to save some space. No drilling of holes needed.

The uprights are 2"x3" just like the Fitness Depot Crossbox line so I also drilled some 5/8" holes and installed the Crossbox plate holder pins at the bottom of the uprights.

Since I'm on the subject and you have the same rack, I also installed some bar holders on the top of the uprights and got custom j-hooks for the front of the rack (the standard Crossbox j-hooks wouldn't work cause of the welded hook facing inside the rack).

Last edited by tytw00; 08-13-2020 at 10:58 AM.