Grappleweight is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New here: need to lose weight, NOT a bodybuilder

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and just experimenting with starting a thread. I'm not going to write a whole lot right now but basically, my main motivation for working out and weight loss in general is that I'm a martial artist, brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and cross train in some other arts but i can't right now because of covid, and at 40 I struggle with my weight and might need advice.

I'm about 5'7, 196lbs and want to get to 167lbs but my ultimate goal would be 155lbs which might not be possible.

I've yo-yo dieted for a while and i'm using Noom but have yet to really adapt any of their advice to the point that it's led to real results so I'm doing intermittent fasting which has worked in the past where i used my fitbit to walk and do physical therapy and weight/kettlebell/band resistance training and burn about 500 calories before breakfast and 400 or so after dinner about 5 days a week to lose weight.

It sure is exhausting and should be unnecessary, but it seems to be the only way i ever get quick results and see weight loss because I suck at counting calories.

That's all for now, but i'll be back to check on this at some point later.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Control your net calorie balance by reducing what you eat - get myfitnesspal and use that to track your intake.

More detail is in the "don't look past the basics" sticky thread at the top of the page.

It doesn't matter that you don't consider yourself a bodybuilder although you should still train your entire body with resistance training to avoid muscle loss when in a calorie deficit.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Generic losing weight advice:

1) You have to control your calories, that's what moves your bodyweight up or down (Anything up to 1% of bodyweight per week is reasonable when losing weight)
    2) You need to eat enough protein and perform hypertrophy based exercise in order to reduce losses of lean tissue when in a deficit
    3) You need to eat sufficient fat or you'll have problems with your hormones

That's the most important bits, most everything else is just details.

calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calumscotland is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    as said above be consistant stick to your cals dont have crazy cheat days maybe a cheat meal once a month im same height as you i used to be 230lbs
    Ⱳ⨊ ΔR⨊ ΔT TH⨊ ⨊DG⨊ ØF ΔN ΔɃɎSS ΔND Ⱳ⨊'R⨊ CLØS⨊ TØ Ƀ⨊ING IRR⨊VØCΔɃLɎ LØST

Degenerate Crew
    HTC
    banned crew
    Mullet crew

5'7 @ 160lbs
    bench 260lbs
    squat 300lbs
    DL 405lbs

TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Im over 40 and have just lost 21 pounds in 14 weeks (starting at 191), im nearly 6ft 5 and trying to fix skinny fat!

My advice is purely based on my experience, ive lost 20 ish pounds more than twice using different methods (cycling, insanity dvd, weights) but the key for all was being a real geek with counting calories...if in doubt over estimate food and under estimate exercise.

Ive been easily at net cals of around 1600 and not that hungry, had a few days holiday and didnt go mad but tracked what I ate, was over 3,000 cals and was hungrier than normal! Its crazy how those cals add up when not clean food.

Also anything any fitness tracker says for calorie expenditure i take 70% as they all on high side in my opinion.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Agree with above advice

Just another two points:

1) do not rely on exercise to make you lose weight. Control your calories. Eating one fewer cupcake makes pretty much the same difference as 30 full minutes of steady state cardio or lifting. And vice versa, eating one cupcake will undo that same amount of exercise (just an example, not saying I have accurately calculated this lol). You need to focus on your diet

2) whatever calories you think you're burning (whether this is calculated through machines, fitbits, heartrate monitors etc) is wrong. There is no accurate way to determine how many calories you are burning and most sources that I just mentioned dramatically overestimate how much you are burning. This brings you back to point 1. The only true way to effectively lose weight and measure that loss is through controlling what you eat.