BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Question Would You Take This Role? Worth or Not?

Software Engineering opportunities are chit right now, get ghosted over anything good. Technically I can NEET until January 1st before student loans kick in (unless whatever president defers further), but I don't know how much longer I can remain sane. Do I keep waiting out the storm or bite the bullet?

Location/Distance: 0 (remote) until 2021 and then a solid 30-45 minute commute (can live with mommy for cheap and gas won't be too bad, maybe a couple gallons a day).
    Salary: $47k (state median income per capita is ~$37k and median income for entry level dev is supposed to be ~60k-70k). In other words, it's a bit better than average, but chit considering my peer average.
    Contract Length: 12 months (although could be as short as 6 months, can't count on that though)

My logic is that living at home is basically saving 20k on cost of living (fuk living with roommates). So my salary is technically around 70k, but I still have to deal with bullchit like almost an hour commute and long azz contract length. I wouldn't mind some extra cash and experience, but the fact that I could hypothetically be tied down for an entire year while COVID blows over and work gets better really puts me off. I'm kinda inclined to say no and just wait another month or two... or four, and see how things look.

Edit: In the past the company had a pay back agreement for early termination, I inquired further and it turns out there isn't anymore.
    Last edited by BulkingIsHard; 08-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_decline
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Societal_collapse#By_absorption

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I would take it. It may not be what you want, but it's what you can get. In another month or four, there could be nothing at all available. It's just my prediction that the economic effects of the pandemic have not reached their apex yet. Around my town, there are furlows and layoffs still going on.

lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lockdev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Where do you live?

Software jobs are plentiful here on the east coast, up, down, left, and right.

No way I'm taking a chit wage like that as a developer and then tying myself to a company for 6 months. Have to pay back training? Chit sounds like a scam.

Do you have a degree or are you a bootcamp grad?
    Misc Entrepreneur Crew

Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miked1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take it until something better comes along. Heck it might lead to something more permanent if they like you.
    LOL @ people who follow politics

BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BulkingIsHard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I would take it. It may not be what you want, but it's what you can get. In another month or four, there could be nothing at all available. It's just my prediction that the economic effects of the pandemic have not reached their apex yet. Around my town, there are furlows and layoffs still going on.
    What makes you think this will get worse? I know these Influenza strains and Influenza type viruses have greater virulence during the winter, but I think all these lockdowns could be politically motivated, and restrictions will easy up after elections or inauguration.

Originally Posted by lockdev View Post
    Where do you live?

Software jobs are plentiful here on the east coast, up, down, left, and right.

No way I'm taking a chit wage like that as a developer and then tying myself to a company for 6 months. Have to pay back training? Chit sounds like a scam.

Do you have a degree or are you a bootcamp grad?
    I have a BS in CS and live in CA. I inquired a little further and it turns out there is no pay back, but I just don't know if being tied down for so many months with a relatively poverty wage is worth it, especially if it turns out that the job is miserable or incredibly boring. On the other hand it may be worth it if I just sit around for the next 4 months while the economy locks down further, because that's 4 months I could have been doing something productive, then the next year comes around and student loans start hitting while I'm still not working.

Originally Posted by TugOfPeace View Post
    Can't imagine it's that difficult to get a decent paying software job these days. Even with no experience. The entire world is moving towards tech, that industry is booming
    I thought the same too but that's really not the case. Companies are looking for software engineers, but competent ones. You can't just get a degree and get hired immediately. I thought I could do this and rushed through school, getting out in 3 years, but having very mediocre side projects, no hackathon experience, internships, and networking. On top of this the hiring freeze from lockdowns has added another filter on candidates, so it's really difficult for me to get any responses.

Originally Posted by Miked1978 View Post
    Take it until something better comes along. Heck it might lead to something more permanent if they like you.
    I'm fine with this idea, but the issue is that the contract could be as long as 12 months. I'm not a quitter but I certainly don't want this level of commitment. I'd like to get a little bit of experience and cash, then get a better job out of state (or in state if the money entices me enough).
    Last edited by BulkingIsHard; 08-13-2020 at 01:09 PM.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would take it.

The reality is this covid thing is going to get worse this winter and any improvement isn't going to happen until spring at the earliest.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    I would take it.

The reality is this covid thing is going to get worse this winter and any improvement isn't going to happen until spring at the earliest.
    You think so? I always assumed that it could have been political and we'll get looser restrictions after elections.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BulkingIsHard View Post
    What makes you think this will get worse? I know these Influenza strains and Influenza type viruses have greater virulence during the winter, but I think all these lockdowns could be politically motivated, and restrictions will easy up after elections or inauguration.
    I meant the economic aspects of the pandemic will get worse, not the spread of the virus itself. I see it every week in my town. A big refinery eliminated about 40 jobs permanently, those people took an early retirement. There is a John Deere facility here too. They eliminated about 60 jobs. There is another factory here, they make airplane parts. They didn't eliminated any jobs, but they've cut everyones hours to working 2-3 days a week instead of 5. I know a guy that teaches the linesman program at a local college. He has a few rental houses that students in his program rent from him. It's a 2 year program. He rents his houses to the students that get a scholarship (academic and housing) to attend his program. He has now moved into one of his students rental houses, it's next door to one of mine. I normally have 30-40 refinery contractors in all my rental houses. The last 4 months it's been more like 15-20. I'm not making as much money as I used to. There are fewer contractors working now when compared to 12 months ago.

Hawaiian shirt hoarder FAPhaggot's Avatar
    FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FAPhaggot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    $47K no bennies is a pathetic wage for a software developer, but since you don't have to relocate for it, I'd take the contract just for the work experience.

Read the termination clause carefully, cause you'll be jumping ship as soon as anything better comes along.
    FA Crew
    Always Pick 1 Crew

"Experience is something you get right after you need it."