burning27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

struggling to progress

diet

eat TDEE + 200 calories (2800)
    1 gram protein per lb of bodyweight (160)

routine

I've been doing the r/fitness reddit PPL for 3 months, but do split squats instead of barbell squats with a rack.
    I have incorporated some running into the routine, but its on separate days from the weight training.
    8 days with 30-40 min jogs: pull/push/legs/run/pull/push/legs/run

I haven't been able to increase weight between sessions or even weekly, even after deloading weight.

what im thinking of doing:

eat a larger caloric surplus, or more minimum grams of protein
    run less distance but more often
    try a full body routine

thanks for any advice

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Not familiar with the routine but I'm guessing it doesn't have a structured progression plan? What instructions does it give you? At what point do you fail to progress?

Could be too much volume and not enough exertion in each set (pacing yourself). This is when programs like Fierce 5 excel - small handful of focused exercises. The ramp up ensures you don't just tread water for too long but don't rush into doing too much too soon.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Not familiar with the routine but I'm guessing it doesn't have a structured progression plan? What instructions does it give you? At what point do you fail to progress?

Could be too much volume and not enough exertion in each set (pacing yourself). This is when programs like Fierce 5 excel - small handful of focused exercises. The ramp up ensures you don't just tread water for too long but don't rush into doing too much too soon.
    [reddit url]/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Following this routine, i cant add weight in between sessions because then i physically cant reach the rep range with it.

I didn't think the high volume would be a problem for a younger person, and read ppl would lead to the fastest progress.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You are probably already too close to your max weight for those reps/sets - so leaving no room to ramp the weight up. This is the kind of implicit assumptions that some programs will make - but if you don't know about it then you fall into this trap of hitting a wall.

It's not possible to make universally true statements like "ppl gives the best progress" because it depends a lot on the individual. There is no magic about PPL, it's just a convenient way of breaking up training load through the week, you could rearrange it in another way and achieve almost exactly the same results.

But the planned progression aspect sounds like it will be more important to you at this stage...

You are probably already too close to your max weight for those reps/sets - so leaving no room to ramp the weight up. This is the kind of implicit assumptions that some programs will make - but if you don't know about it then you fall into this trap of hitting a wall.

It's not possible to make universally true statements like "ppl gives the best progress" because it depends a lot on the individual. There is no magic about PPL, it's just a convenient way of breaking up training load through the week, you could rearrange it in another way and achieve almost exactly the same results.

But the planned progression aspect sounds like it will be more important to you at this stage...
    So the current progression for accessories is lift 8 to 12 reps and when you get to 12 increase weight.

Should i make sure i can get to 12 reps without lifting to failure before i increase the weight? So there is some room.

Or do i need to use 1rep max calculator and work to 70-90% of a ORM? Or anouther measure of effort.

It's more important to apply progressive overload to main lifts than accessories.

You were saying that you can't achieve this progression. What I'm trying to say is that this might not be an appropriate program for you, it may be better to switch to a routine with a stronger focus on a smaller number of lifts with lower overall volume.

It's more important to apply progressive overload to main lifts than accessories.

You were saying that you can't achieve this progression. What I'm trying to say is that this might not be an appropriate program for you, it may be better to switch to a routine with a stronger focus on a smaller number of lifts with lower overall volume.
    Alright, i'll look for another program. Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by burning27 View Post
    Alright, i'll look for another program. Thanks for your advice.
    If it helps, we recommend the routines which are mentioned in the sticky threads at the top of the page in the Workout Programs forum.

KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100) KroKTer is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think you have to try other excerises those surprises your muscles or just take a 2 week off without working out and then also try other exercises and the sequence of your exercises.