Sam248 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

how accurate are smart scales?

how accurate are smart scales?

Just a quick question about the accuracy of smart scales, I am trying to calculate my maintenance and most formulas put me around the 2125 calorie mark. However, my scales suggest that my maintenance is around 2445 calories. Thus this has got me wandering how accurate are smart scales?

Stats;
    Height 5ft8inches
    Weight 62kg
    Activity Level: Light activity (4x a week in the gym plus a little sports)

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is no electronic device in existence that is accurate with regards to measuring things like daily calories, bodyfat, etc. The only thing they're good for is your actual weight, other than that they're just expensive gimmicks.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    There is no electronic device in existence that is accurate with regards to measuring things like daily calories, bodyfat, etc. The only thing they're good for is your actual weight, other than that they're just expensive gimmicks.
    Yup. This.

My scale claims I’m like under 6%... yeah right
    The power of carbs compels me!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Just for fun OP, step on to your smart scale holding a 5kg weight in your hands. It will probably tell you you've gotten a lot fatter...

Even if they could predict your BMR with great accuracy, they don't know your daily activity levels. The only practical answer to finding your TDEE is to eat a consistent calorie intake and weigh yourself everyday for at least 2 weeks. If your weight stays the same, that is your TDEE. If you lose a lb a week, you are 500 under. etc.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So inaccurate as to be completely meaningless.with a margin of error so broad that your own wild guesses are just as valid. Same with callipers.

Once I Had a calliper measurement of 13%, a smart scale measurement of 17% and in reality I was around 25%.

If you want a rough idea of your actual bodyfat post a picture in the bodyfat estimate thread in the losing fat forum (this is still just an estimate but likely to be much closer)

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by alisaweaver View Post
    There is no device that can absolutely tell you this information. You can try some different ways to identify and choose the middle one. Try to analyse also. My scales tells truth really.
    Scales can tell the truth of your actual bodyweight within a fairly small margin of error

Your bodyfat scales are only telling you the truth (if they even are) by coincidence, not because they are accurate.

EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EliKoehn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    So inaccurate as to be completely meaningless.with a margin of error so broad that your own wild guesses are just as valid. Same with callipers.

Once I Had a calliper measurement of 13%, a smart scale measurement of 17% and in reality I was around 25%.

If you want a rough idea of your actual bodyfat post a picture in the bodyfat estimate thread in the losing fat forum (this is still just an estimate but likely to be much closer)
    How could you have actually been 25% with a caliper measurement of 13%?

Just kind of surprised because the difference between 25% and 13% is huge. At the former, you'd likely have a gut, a second chin, and very little definition, but 13% is getting close to competition shape and you'd probably be vascular with striations and no conspicuous fat. How could there be that kind of margin of error?
    Bench: 315
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 475

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"