bert267 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Need help deciphering a nutritionist meal plan.

I currently weigh 193 LB standing at 6’0 (27M).

My BF% is between 17-20%.i train usually 4-5x a week doing HIIT training. Due to covid, I do not have access to any weights for strength training at the moment.

I’ve been doing a lot research and I keep running into advice that says you should lose weight before adding on muscle. Ideally one should try to drop to 12% BF by being in a calorie deficit. Only then, you should get in an anabolic state and eat at a surplus to put on lean mass with some unavoidable fat.

I spoke with a nutritionist and this is the meal plan he suggested I start off with this nutrition program. Now I don’t really know how to count but this looks like it would be a calorie surplus.

Can someone help me break this meal plan down to calories and macros???

To clear any confusion, I would be consuming one of the options for each bullet point if there is more than one.

Meal 1
    - 2 Large Whole Eggs.
    - 1 Cup Liquid Egg Whites.
    - 1 Large Serving (Handful) of Spinach or Spring Mix.
    - 1 Piece of Fruit (Banana, Apple, Orange, Peach, Pear, etc.)

Meal 2
    - 6 oz. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Tilapia, Cod, Tuna, or Shrimp (Weighed Cooked).
    - 1 Cup Brown Rice, Quinoa, or Lentils (Measured Cooked).
    - 1 Small Avocado, 1⁄3 Cup Raw Almonds/Walnuts, or 2 Tablespoons of Organic Salad Dressing.
    - 1 Cup Broccoli, Green Beans, Asparagus, Spinach, Zucchini, Cauliflower, or Spring Mix.

Meal 3
    - 6 oz. 93/7 Lean Ground Beef, 93/7 Lean Ground Turkey, Sirloin Steak, Filet Mignon, or Salmon.
    - 100 grams of Sweet Potato (Weighed Cooked).
    - 1 Small Avocado, 1⁄3 Cup Raw Almonds/Walnuts, or 2 Tablespoons of Organic Salad Dressing.
    - 1 Cup Broccoli, Green Beans, Asparagus, Spinach, Zucchini, Cauliflower, or Spring Mix.

Post-Workout (Immediately after training. On non-training days, drink this shake as an extra meal):
    - 2 Scoops of Whey Protein Isolate.
    - 5 grams of Creatine Monohydrate.

What does the body building community suggest ? My ultimate goal is to weigh 165~ with a very lean physique.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If they didn't give you macros, then don't go back to that "nutritionist". You can plug this in to an app like myfitnesspal if you really want to.

Or you can just do the same with foods you prefer - and adjust as needed, that's what we do. We don't have fixed meal plans or 'special bodybuilding foods' - just the right number of calories and protein and dietary fat - plus sensible choices to ensure plenty of vitamins and minerals etc.

Also, you don't have to reach 12% before building muscle, this is a bit of a myth based on the fact that overweight people tend to have poor insulin sensitivity - but that may not be the case with everyone, particularly not those who exercise regularly, even if they are a bit overweight.

As a counter example, consider how much muscle rugby players or professional strongmen build without ever being lean - definitely not 12%

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The fact that your 'nutritionist' (not the same as a dietician at all) didn't even recommend calories or macros, nor did they tell you the content of THIS plan, says a lot about their credibility.

Nobody should just eat the same stuff every day.

Learn about the basics of nutrition and eat a variety of things every day.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post

Also, you don't have to reach 12% before building muscle, this is a bit of a myth based on the fact that overweight people tend to have poor insulin sensitivity - but that may not be the case with everyone, particularly not those who exercise regularly, even if they are a bit overweight.

As a counter example, consider how much muscle rugby players or professional strongmen build without ever being lean - definitely not 12%
    Using my Nokia scale ( I know very unreliable), I have about 150-155 lbs of lean mass. This is probably the amount of lean mass I need to reach my goal of a lean body at 165 lbs.

I’m just not sure my body is going to let me lose 30 lbs. I’m probably going to lose a lot of lean mass while trying to cut this weight right?

What kind of diet is best for cutting while trying to keep as much as lean mass as possible ?

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hit the minimum protein .7 to .8 grams of protein a day per pound of weight. For fats, hit .4 grams per pound a day. (No carb mins.) Lift weights consistently following a good routine. Keep a reasonable deficit - don't run a high defect, trying to speed things up. Prosper.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bert267 View Post
    Using my Nokia scale ( I know very unreliable), I have about 150-155 lbs of lean mass. This is probably the amount of lean mass I need to reach my goal of a lean body at 165 lbs.

I’m just not sure my body is going to let me lose 30 lbs. I’m probably going to lose a lot of lean mass while trying to cut this weight right?

What kind of diet is best for cutting while trying to keep as much as lean mass as possible ?
    Did, you're 6 foot and 193... and who said you need to lose 30lb?

If you're new to the gym, AND you're golding enough extra fat, you can 100% gain lots of muscle while leaning out. It's not an issue.

And yeah, those scales are no where even CLOSE to accurate. My analyzer scale says I'm 5.5% bodyfat when in fact I am about 10%.

The best diet is one wherein you slowly lose weight while getting enough protein (.7g or more per pound of bodyweight) and enough fat (.4g or more per pound of bodyweight), while keeping total calories high enough to support training and recovery..

Eat mainly whole foods, plenty of produce, lean proteins, etc...

You need to figure out your calorie needs on your own, though... nobody here can estimate without more information on your overall lifestyle
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Did, you're 6 foot and 193... and who said you need to lose 30lb?

If you're new to the gym, AND you're golding enough extra fat, you can 100% gain lots of muscle while leaning out. It's not an issue.

And yeah, those scales are no where even CLOSE to accurate. My analyzer scale says I'm 5.5% bodyfat when in fact I am about 10%.

The best diet is one wherein you slowly lose weight while getting enough protein (.7g or more per pound of bodyweight) and enough fat (.4g or more per pound of bodyweight), while keeping total calories high enough to support training and recovery..

Eat mainly whole foods, plenty of produce, lean proteins, etc...

You need to figure out your calorie needs on your own, though... nobody here can estimate without more information on your overall lifestyle

Thanks for all the advice! It really does mean a lot.

I guess that’s just where I need help. I can’t figure out how much I should be eating.

I’m going to try out doing about 2,800 calories for a month and see where it takes me.