HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unhappy Lost 40lbs, Now I'm Stuck!

Hey all, this is my first post in the forum and I'm really needing some help.

I am: 5'7", Male, 26, BF %: 17.1. 162lbs.

Started my weight loss journey almost a year ago, started at 198lbs and over the course of 6-ish months with Noom, I lost 40lbs. Noom basically had me eat 1,400 calories a day. This was close to the start of the pandemic, so I didn't go to the gym, just added walking to my day. After I pushed out of the 160s, I upped it to 1,500 calories per day.

Fast forward, I fluctuated around 155lbs to 157lbs for about two months while still eating only 1,500. The gyms opened back up here in Oklahoma, so I started adding 5 minutes of cardio at the start, I'm doing Arnold's Level 1 Bodybuilding Plan, and finish with a quick 4 minute hit on the fan bike at the end. I'd ideally like to get around 15% body fat, and as near to 150 as I can. I assumed that my metabolism had adapted, so I attempted reverse dieting and went up to 1,700 calories for about 2 weeks, and then 1,900 calories for another two. After about a month, I decided to go back on my cut. This was about a week ago, but I feel like my metabolism has snapped right back to the 1,400-1,500 range. Also, I drink about 2 to 3 liters of water per day.

I'll be honest y'all, I do not eat the best, and feel like my nutritional knowledge is sub-par at best. I used the TDEE calculator to try and get my proper cutting macros, and moved them around so I have a higher protein intake. I feel like I'm missing something, and the depression is starting to make me want to eat my feelings and I can see that I'm already creeping up on gaining 10 pounds! I've been on the overweight side my whole life, and I'm really wanting to get to my goal body and I feel so close, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel discouraged after making so much progress and seeing myself just absolutely plateau.

Any help is definitely appreciated!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Reverse dieting is not going to help - it's only for people coming out of contest prep scenarios where they get to very low BF% and stop producing certain hormones (leptin). It's not going to do squat for the average person.

It's likely you simply need to take a break from dieting and build some lean tissue for a good while. It's either that or live with a low maintenance. Those are the only real options.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eating more calories doesn't make you lose more weight. I mean seriously, would you eat less if you were trying to gain weight? If you have hit a point where the calories you are eating at no longer move the scale then you need to either eat less or move more (probably both).

However, at your size, your "metabolism" hasn't "snapped to the 1400-1500 cal/day range". You are eating more than you think that you are. Weigh and log literally everything going into your mouth and you will find that you are probably taking in 300+ more calories each day than you think you are.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/#result

BMR 1749.36

https://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-c...dict-equation/

TDEE 2405.37

At 162lbs your macros should be something like:

0.72g/lb Protein minimum = 118g (Some evidence suggests slightly higher values but this level is good for sure)
    0.4g/lb Fat minimum = 65g (lower levels are possible for some people but can adversely affect hormone status in others)
    100g + 25g Carb minimum = 125g (for glycogen replenishment and brain function if you're not doing keto)

That means even if you did everything perfectly you'd need to eat at least 1557 calories which would predict a weight loss of 1.7lb per week or so. If you're saying you are weight stable at 1500 calories there is a really high chance that you're not counting correctly.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    https://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/#result

BMR 1749.36

https://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-c...dict-equation/

TDEE 2405.37

At 162lbs your macros should be something like:

0.72g/lb Protein minimum = 118g (Some evidence suggests slightly higher values but this level is good for sure)
    0.4g/lb Fat minimum = 65g (lower levels are possible for some people but can adversely affect hormone status in others)
    100g + 25g Carb minimum = 125g (for glycogen replenishment and brain function if you're not doing keto)

That means even if you did everything perfectly you'd need to eat at least 1557 calories which would predict a weight loss of 1.7lb per week or so. If you're saying you are weight stable at 1500 calories there is a really high chance that you're not counting correctly.
    Obviously those calculators are only ever estimates but I came to post this.

It is very unlikely your genuinely eating 1500 calories and stalling. I would say either just reduce what youre eating or actually do a strict track (Inc cooking oil, sauce, drinks, spreads, snacks, any 'cheat' meals or days) with a food scale and make sure you're still on target.

deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000) deaglebrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's time to weigh your food for a week and accurately measure your caloric consumption per day. It sounds like you're not factoring in oil, drinks, condiments, etc. There's no way an adult man was maintaining his weight at 155 while intaking 1500 calories a day unless you literally have zero muscle and are bedridden. Once you figure out how many calories you are actually eating, reassess and go from there.

HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) HaydenPS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Reverse dieting is not going to help - it's only for people coming out of contest prep scenarios where they get to very low BF% and stop producing certain hormones (leptin). It's not going to do squat for the average person.

It's likely you simply need to take a break from dieting and build some lean tissue for a good while. It's either that or live with a low maintenance. Those are the only real options.
    So I should just go into maintenance and then do a bit of a bulk?

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Eating more calories doesn't make you lose more weight. I mean seriously, would you eat less if you were trying to gain weight? If you have hit a point where the calories you are eating at no longer move the scale then you need to either eat less or move more (probably both).

However, at your size, your "metabolism" hasn't "snapped to the 1400-1500 cal/day range". You are eating more than you think that you are. Weigh and log literally everything going into your mouth and you will find that you are probably taking in 300+ more calories each day than you think you are.
    My line of thinking is that over the 6+ months, my metabolism may have adapted to the lower caloric intake.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm probably not counting everything, but if we're being honest, I'm mentally exhausted from constant tracking and weighing. I'm going to take the week off to reset my mind and just transition to maintenance for a few months, and possibly a clean bulk.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HaydenPS View Post
    My line of thinking is that over the 6+ months, my metabolism may have adapted to the lower caloric intake.
    Metabolic adaption to this extent is largely a myth. In reality you're talking 1-300 calories (max) adaption for a 40lb loss, I can almost guarantee that just your BMR alone is likely still higher than 1500 calories. It is probably a tracking issue

Tracking can become extremely draining, I no longer do it but that is only because I can confidently eyeball food and know how much is enough/too much. It is all born of having tracked for a long time previously and being extremely honest and extremely conservative in your estimates and given the issue that you're having here I don't think you're quite there yet.

A short break may be a good idea but you still need to remain disciplined. A break very easily becomes a binge, which very easily becomes regain of fat, which very easily becomes a lifestyle revert.

I would recommend that if you're taking a break from tracking try to eat as moderately as possible. Who knows if you're sensible you might even continue to lose!

snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snailsrus has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

probably closer to 2,200 but this is exactly right. Counting calories wrong, one guy on here was thinking he was tracking right yet he realized he drank hundreds of calories of creamer.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No.. That is completely illogical.

If people's "metabolisms" could adapt to lower calories than physiologically required for life, then no one would ever starve to death.

And the actual effect on a person's "metabolism" from losing weight is really not that large of a factor.

Studies show* that a pound of muscle only burns 6-7 calories per day, while each pound of fat requires roughly just 2.1 calories. Meaning that if a person loses 10 pounds (and we assume that this loss is at an 80/20 ratio of fat to muscle) that person's metabolic requirements will have only dropped by approximately 30-35 calories per day.

https://journals.lww.com/co-clinical...e_body.11.aspx

So after a 40 pound drop, your "metabolism" will likely have only lowered by 120-140 calories/day.

What has altered is your activity level.

Being in a prolonged deficit can tend to induce "diet fatigue" which is basically the person will tend to be less active overall than when they began they diet. This is usually a combination of conscious and subconscious choices throughout the day where the individual will tend to become more sedentary.

Choosing to spend more time sedentary after being in a prolonged deficit consciously or unconsciously however is still a choice. One which can be compensated for by simply realizing that you are moving less and need to get yourself up and resume your previous degree of daily activity.

This as opposed to a metabolic change which is purely physiological and outside of decision based factors.

And with all that said, you are probably still not tracking your calories accurately.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm probably not counting everything, but if we're being honest, I'm mentally exhausted from constant tracking and weighing. I'm going to take the week off to reset my mind and just transition to maintenance for a few months, and possibly a clean bulk.
    Taking a week off from counting calories is probably just going to cause you to overeat past maintenance and regain some fat.

Especially if your counting was off in the first place (as most people here have already told you it has been) indicating that your ideas of portion sizes and calorie values for the foods that you have been eating is probably off by a fair bit to start with.

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Metabolic adaption to this extent is largely a myth. In reality you're talking 1-300 calories (max) adaption for a 40lb loss, I can almost guarantee that just your BMR alone is likely still higher than 1500 calories. It is probably a tracking issue

Tracking can become extremely draining, I no longer do it but that is only because I can confidently eyeball food and know how much is enough/too much. It is all born of having tracked for a long time previously and being extremely honest and extremely conservative in your estimates and given the issue that you're having here I don't think you're quite there yet.

A short break may be a good idea but you still need to remain disciplined. A break very easily becomes a binge, which very easily becomes regain of fat, which very easily becomes a lifestyle revert.

I would recommend that if you're taking a break from tracking try to eat as moderately as possible. Who knows if you're sensible you might even continue to lose!
    Thank you! I'll try that out.

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    probably closer to 2,200 but this is exactly right. Counting calories wrong, one guy on here was thinking he was tracking right yet he realized he drank hundreds of calories of creamer.
    That could definitely be it, because I'm a huge coffee drinker. I think I'm going to eat mindfully this week, and try to track accurately after that to eat at maintenance.

Taking a week off from counting calories is probably just going to cause you to overeat past maintenance and regain some fat.

Especially if your counting was off in the first place (as most people here have already told you it has been) indicating that your ideas of portion sizes and calorie values for the foods that you have been eating is probably off by a fair bit to start with.
    I'm going to just try to get in a better place psychologically this week, get into maintenance next week, and then try to put on some muscle before I cut again.

MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get a good workout plan and schedule going that you can implement after COVID. Nice changes! There's some interesting ones on here.
    Marcus Morgan M.Ed, Exercise Science, Physiology

Owner of Home Fitness Galore
    Fitness Equipment , CHEAP Custom Workout Plans , & Fitness Supplements

Website: https://homefitnessgalore.wixsite.com/personalworkoutplans
    E-mail: homefitnessgalore@gmail.com

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MarcusFitPro View Post
    Get a good workout plan and schedule going that you can implement after COVID. Nice changes! There's some interesting ones on here.
    You have a bad habit of appearing every few months, commenting useless or irrelevant one liners across multiple threads and disappearing. I assume its in order to advertise your sig but its not helpful for anyone.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535