Drakir67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

F***arounditis for over a year / Need your help Guys / Program selection

Hello all,

Hope you guys and girls are all doing great!

This is my first post on this forum but OH How Important It Is To Me!

I believe this type of question has been addressed multiple multiple times on this forum, but as each answer seems to be relatively personal, with regards to age, background and sporting history, I thought I would ask anyway.

Here is a bit of a background. I'm a 34 years old, 5'9 male and I weigh 152 pounds (bear with me with my English, I'm French (no one is perfect!) and I'm doing my best for this post to be readable). I lost a lot of weight over the last 8 months. Beginning of November, I used to weigh 191 pounds. So I lost about 40 odd pounds over this periode, mainly through changing my eating habits (intermittent fasting mainly). I'm happy at weight I'm currently on, but I still have some fat I'd like to shred (my scales tell me I'm about 18% body fat). I'm not a big fan of cardio (whether that be slow, fast, HIIT,...). And I often read that dieting and weight training is equally as efficient when one wishes to lose weight.

I have also been hitting the gym for over a year now but seem to be suffereing from a terrible disease, F***arounditis. I have been going, on and off, switching programs and never really being able to stick to one (obvisouly, that is the main issue).

Over the last year, I've made a lot of research, read many articles end seen many videos on weightlifting and exercising:

- Fitness Wiki (seems to be more powerlifting driven than bodybuilding).
    - Reddit.
    - French websites.
    - JCD Fitness
    - Athlean X
    - Jeremy Ethier
    - Buff dudes (must admit that I enjoy their videos)
    - Shredded sport science (before he started bashing other people)
    - Bodybuilding.com
    - Etc.

I've spent more time reading up than actually putting into practive what I've learned from all the info that was thrown at me.

I’ve tried and tested many programs and every time I walked out the gym after doing them, I’m all pumped up and hyped up but then nah….Gotta change me program mate! I don’t know why; I just cannot stick to one damn program!!! (this is not a personality thing, I’m fine with taking decisions and sticking to them in other areas of my life), should ask my wife just to make sure….

I’ve tried:

- SL, but was too lower body driven for me.
    - Athlean X full body workout (free on youtube, not paid!) (some movements were awkward: hip thrust, BB back lunges,…).
    - Ethier’s full body workout (boring)
    - And a S*** load of other programs found across the French Internet.

And then the holy grail, bodybuilding.com! Well kind of, because again, there are such goods programs in the stickies that I just cannot pick one. And this is where I hope you can come into play and give me a hand. Of course, hundreds if not millions of people ask “what is the perfect beginner program for me” etc etc etc and I know that this is always very biased and based on personal experience, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, here is my question………. What is the perfect beginner program for me???.....

OK, let me explain, I’m not asking for a program from all the ones that exist on the internet.

Only between three which I find very attractive (!) and seem to fit my goals.
    OK so to start of with, I’m week, when I mean week I mean proper week.

Here are some of my 1RM on given lifts:
    - Deadlift: 180 pounds
    - BB Bench press: 120 pounds
    - Squat: 110 pounds
    - OHP: 110 pounds

Yeah, I know, don’t burn me…Legs and shoulders….

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anything you will stick with.

I'd say greyskull lp will do fine
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

UP

I’ve tried and tested many programs and every time I walked out the gym after doing them, I’m all pumped up and hyped up but then nah….Gotta change me program mate! I don’t know why; I just cannot stick to one damn program!!! (this is not a personality thing, I’m fine with taking decisions and sticking to them in other areas of my life), should ask my wife just to make sure….

I’ve tried:

- SL, but was too lower body driven for me.
    - Athlean X full body workout (free on youtube, not paid!) (some movements were awkward: hip thrust, BB back lunges,…).
    - Ethier’s full body workout (boring)
    - And a S*** load of other programs found across the French Internet.

And then the holy grail, bodybuilding.com! Well kind of, because again, there are such goods programs in the stickies that I just cannot pick one. And this is where I hope you can come into play and give me a hand. Of course, hundreds if not millions of people ask “what is the perfect beginner program for me” etc etc etc and I know that this is always very biased and based on personal experience, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, here is my question………. What is the perfect beginner program for me???.....

UP

OK, let me explain, I’m not asking for a program from all the ones that exist on the internet.

From what I understand, the important part of a beginner’s program, is to include the big compounds lifts and progressive overload. And that is should be some sort of Full Body workout, before eventually going to a PPL of Half body.

My time schedule for working out is as follows. I could potentially go every weekday, on my lunch break. I have two hours lunch break max (but I need to include my meal + working out), this is doable if the workout itself does not last 2 hours(!).

Here are the three workouts I have been looking at (read all the thread for the first one, didn’t have the courage for the second one):

- The Viking’s The Bare Bones Series: I would be looking at the full body workout version of this workout. It looks great. Good exercise variety and I love the progression method. Which is unusual. You don’t fall in the classic bracket of x 8 / x10 or even x3 / x5. It’s pretty much Amrap and then see if you’ve reached your rep goals and if so then add weight. But the only problem is that it seems loooooooooooooong to do. I mean over 75-90 minutes, counting the warm-up sets & rest (BB/50%/60%/85%/95%).

- Allpro’s beginner workout. Seems good aswell, but less appealing to me. First because of exercise selection. It looks like it would be repetitive on the long run. Not a big fan of the SLDL either (much prefer Romanian Deadlift or just DL). And the progression seems slow. Even though at the end of the cycle you would still break your 10 rep max record and then add 10%. That’s almost 120% in a year. And not too sure about the calves work either.

- And then finally the JCD Fitness beginner workout. I’ve only just discovered this website and I must admit, I love it. I find it full of great info, especially for beginners. The routine looks appealing to me: progressive overload, AMRAPS, bodyweight exercises, supersets, etc. It seems to be well rounded (maybe a lack of shoulder work) and seems fun to carry out.

Considering my background and the info I’ve given you (background + time constraints), what are your thoughts on the programs I should try out?

Or should I go for a completely different program (strength before hypertrophy) such as 5x5’s to gain strength before wanting to cut (or get shredded)?

I know this is all very personal and subjective, but I often find that people tend to give a helping hand on this Website, and all opinions can be helpful if correctly used.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long a** post, well, if you’ve actually made it so far!

And thank you all for your help.

Drakir.

UP

Oh and one more thing, I was not able to post all of this in a single post, so sorry for the multiple posts....

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Drakir67 View Post

What exactly are you asking for? One of 3 programs which you don't name?
    What are your goals? Strength, aesthetics, ...?

Edit: Now I see your updated posts.

Viking's is great but long. Several people like AllPros. I don't know JCD. 5x5 would fit your timeframe.
    Currently cutting: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1616872851&viewfull=1#post1616872851

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Sounds like you are a program hopping - which is a guaranteed way of achieving nothing.

You have to stick with a program even when it started getting hard and becoming a grind - and persist with the progression imposed upon you.

If you'd done this, you would have blown past those 1RMs in a couple of months easily. I know you were dieting but still should have made better neural progress than that. Now presumably you are able to eat more to fuel workouts?

Also realise that you aren't yet qualified to judge if this or that program is not suited to you. Novice programs might seem too simple or too "low body driven" - but that's because experienced people who've designed them know what makes a novice progress. Pick one and stick with it is the best advice I can give you at this stage.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Drakir67 View Post
    OK, let me explain, I’m not asking for a program from all the ones that exist on the internet. Only between three which I find very attractive (!) and seem to fit my goals.
    If you like all 3, pick any one of them randomly and stick to it. The problem isn't finding the perfect program, it's you constantly finding reasons why you need to switch. Someone telling you which program to do isn't going to fix that.

Until you get serious about sticking with a program until you make progress on lifts and see results, it doesn't matter which one you do. And you're many years or never away from needing to do a PPL, so focus on what you need to do right now.

Registered User goalClean300lbs's Avatar
    goalClean300lbs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well, I suggest you do these as follows, i think it would can be useful in at least half year.
    4 days a week.
    Each day you should do 3 exercises, The routine will be like:
    Day1: squat,OHP,Rows(Pandly or one-arm-row or every pulling exercise you like ).
    Day2: Bench, Deadlift, chins.
    Day3 Rest.
    Day4: OHP, Squat, Rows.
    Day5: Deadlift, Bench, chins. Weekends: rest
    The 1st exercise should be: 8reps, add 15lbs 5reps, again add 15lbs do at least 3reps. For example, Your squat is 110lbs, and your work scheme will be like 60lbs*8,75lbs*5,90lbs*3+,when you last rep reaching 5reps and more, add 5 or 10lbs(depend on yourself) in every set next time. Rest in sets should be 3 mins.
    The 2nd exercise: chose a weight you can do only about 12 reps one set and try to do 50 reps in 15~20 minutes. when you do squat and deadlift as the 2nd exercise, chose the weight you can do 8~10 reps and do 35~40 reps.
    The 3rd: chose a weight neither too heavy nor too easy for you, 3~5 sets, every set do as much reps as you can.
    These will be finished in 1hours, and if you have time you can do some abs exercise or face pull as you like to keep your core and shoulder healthy.