Thread: Pull Up Rows?

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Pull Up Rows?

Just tried doing augmented pull ups to hit back as a row substitute (gym still closed). Really felt like I was hitting mid-upper back well and seemed to be a great row substitute...anyone tried this or have any tips? This was way more intense than what I had been doing, table bodyweight rows with feet on the floor.
    Last edited by sunsean; 08-10-2020 at 02:12 PM.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you mean inverted rows?

Aussie pull ups?

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Do you mean inverted rows?

Aussie pull ups?
    Yes except on a pull up bar and without supporting yourself on the ground. Not planked, but knees tucked and I angle my body so my back is more or less parallel with floor/bars so it's more of a row than a pull up.
    Last edited by sunsean; 08-10-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000) Ironface is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At the moment I'm restricted to using a lat pulldown bar for pull-ups that prevents me from doing this, but I like the idea of these. Like rows with less lower back fatigue.

Hoping to eventually buy a proper hybrid pull-up/dip stand, which will then also allow me to do weighted pull-ups (getting tired of being restricted to b/w). I feel like they'd also be good for decompressing the spine in much the same way pull-ups are.
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    Yes except on a pull up bar and without supporting yourself on the ground. Not planked, but knees tucked and I angle my body so my back is more or less parallel with floor/bars so it's more of a row than a pull up.
    I think you're talking about a tucked front lever. You should make sure you are strong at retraction so you don't end up with a shoulder impingement.

Do active arch hangs to get stronger at scapula retraction

Progression to a full front lever starts with what I think you discribed....tucked front lever (this is after making sure you can retract strong). Also, instead of tucked, you can go legs up to get a better range of motion if you pull up like that.

Then one leg tucked, one leg out. Then straddle ...both legs out and spread. Then both legs out straight and together.

Search youtube for "front lever progression".
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Warrior

No period....eternal

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆WHAT IS THE POINT OF DOING A BUNCH OF REPS IF EVERY REP YOU DO IS CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

Originally Posted by Ironface View Post
    At the moment I'm restricted to using a lat pulldown bar for pull-ups that prevents me from doing this, but I like the idea of these. Like rows with less lower back fatigue.

Hoping to eventually buy a proper hybrid pull-up/dip stand, which will then also allow me to do weighted pull-ups (getting tired of being restricted to b/w). I feel like they'd also be good for decompressing the spine in much the same way pull-ups are.
    It's reverse for me - my gym is closed so I'm limited to a power tower (dip/pull up station).

Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    I think you're talking about a tucked front lever. You should make sure you are strong at retraction so you don't end up with a shoulder impingement.

Do active arch hangs to get stronger at scapula retraction

Progression to a full front lever starts with what I think you discribed....tucked front lever (this is after making sure you can retract strong). Also, instead of tucked, you can go legs up to get a better range of motion if you pull up like that.

Then one leg tucked, one leg out. Then straddle ...both legs out and spread. Then both legs out straight and together.

Search youtube for "front lever progression".
    Yes that's very close to what I mean - except the front lever is a static position that you hold, correct? What I do is a tucked front lever - but pull myself up to the bar for a "row" - and not as strictly parallel as a front lever.

I recorded myself doing some:

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's reverse for me - my gym is closed so I'm limited to a power tower (dip/pull up station).

Yes that's very close to what I mean - except the front lever is a static position that you hold, correct? What I do is a tucked front lever - but pull myself up to the bar for a "row" - and not as strictly parallel as a front lever.

IDK what the name for those are, but that was pretty cool.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    IDK what the name for those are, but that was pretty cool.
    Thanks lol - yeah that's why I posted...never seen anyone do them and not sure what they're called but I just tried it for the first time a few days ago and it is hands down the best bodyweight "row" move I've found.

Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Silvercock is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah also known as sternum pullups, great variation.

Apparently they’re called tuck front lever pullups, but since you’re more horizontal it is basically a BW row, albeit a hard one.

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

[YouTube]u_GqiyEaLls[/youtube
    Front lever is a static hold....front lever pull up is a where you pull up from a front lever.

☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Warrior

No period....eternal

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆WHAT IS THE POINT OF DOING A BUNCH OF REPS IF EVERY REP YOU DO IS CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

Originally Posted by Silvercock View Post
    Yeah also known as sternum pullups, great variation.
    Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Front lever is a static hold....front lever pull up is a where you pull up from a front lever.

Goes by many names I guess lol.

I think 'tucked front lever pull up' is probably the most accurate.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Good idea. I might try these instead of DB rows in Calgary Barbell. I hate loading my olympic DB handle with all my odd sized 5kg plates...

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Good idea. I might try these instead of DB rows in Calgary Barbell. I hate loading my olympic DB handle with all my odd sized 5kg plates...
    If I had normal gym access I’d be doing BB rows or seated cable rows - but this has turned out to be an excellent substitute in the meantime.