ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So does the VMO affect patellar tracking or what?

All over the internet is conflicting advice regarding this topic, it makes me wonder what to believe.

Ive been having patellar tracking problems lately... in fact my right knee has always been pretty 'clicky' for as long as I can remember, but has been a bit worse in recent months. I can feel the patellar is sometimes struggling to slot into the groove properly when I extend my knee, and sometimes it'll just click back into place.

I don't get any pain however.

The physio told me I need to foam roll & stretch my IT band and lateral quads aswell as strengthening my VMO and adductors.

For a while I focussed mainly on my adductors and lateral quad and noticed improvement, but lately I've noticed that strengthening my VMO definitely helps with my tracking too.

But I've read countless opinions online saying that strengthening your VMO is a 'waste of time' and that instead you need to focus on hip strength and your ankles etc.

Whilst I do find that my hips play a part in my knee problems too, I am pretty certain that I need to work on my VMO to properly improve my situation, despite what so many experts on the internet say in contradiction.

What does everyone else thing?