needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Grandpa Newbie Weight lifter Needs Help With Questions

Hi my name is Edwin, I refuse to start training till i get some advice on how to proceed.

Little about me:
    I am diabetic so I can not use those supplements weight lifter use to bulk up because they will raise my sugar levels fast and no good for me
    I weigh 115lbs , 5'7 wish to gain weight goal 30lbs by Dec 2020, I have not exercised in years i don't exercise at all i drive a cab.

Goals:
    > Within 6 months I would like to weigh 145lbs and would like to see a noticeable gain in muscle mass around my chest around, arms and back ( Also what has prompted me to start weight training is that my right side clavicle bone sticks out more than my left side and i hope by building muscle mass around chest will help cover it up a little more

> I am only interested in building muscle mass, I want to buff up my chest arms back and legs not like some professional body builder but just to feel good about myself I am one of those small very skinny men and self conscious about well no more i am here for help to reach my goals

Questions & Concerns:

1) Concerned about hurting myself so what warms up exercises should i do before i start bench pressing, can i do jumping jacks, or leg squats to warm and how many reps and sets

2) I have a barbell with weights up to 120lbs, the weights are made up of plastic and nothing else, oh i have bench too, what barbells and dumbells do you recommend for me buy as a newbie

3) What type of protein should i be eating, how much of it that will help my body building goals, what should i eat before i start lifting weights or can I lift weights with an empty stomach when i get out of bed.

4) What would be a good workout plan to build my chest, arms, back for now for a newbie weight lifter that is a 65 year old grandpa

5) Can i accomplish this with a 30 minute workout or require more time i am short on time right now

6) What other question i should be asking myself before i start training in my home

wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by needhelp65 View Post
    Hi my name is Edwin, I refuse to start training till i get some advice on how to proceed.

Little about me:
    I am diabetic so I can not use those supplements weight lifter use to bulk up because they will raise my sugar levels fast and no good for me
    I weigh 115lbs , 5'7 wish to gain weight goal 30lbs by Dec 2020, I have not exercised in years i don't exercise at all i drive a cab.

Goals:
    > Within 6 months I would like to weigh 145lbs and would like to see a noticeable gain in muscle mass around my chest around, arms and back ( Also what has prompted me to start weight training is that my right side clavicle bone sticks out more than my left side and i hope by building muscle mass around chest will help cover it up a little more

> I am only interested in building muscle mass, I want to buff up my chest arms back and legs not like some professional body builder but just to feel good about myself I am one of those small very skinny men and self conscious about well no more i am here for help to reach my goals

Questions & Concerns:

1) Concerned about hurting myself so what warms up exercises should i do before i start bench pressing, can i do jumping jacks, or leg squats to warm and how many reps and sets

2) I have a barbell with weights up to 120lbs, the weights are made up of plastic and nothing else, oh i have bench too, what barbells and dumbells do you recommend for me buy as a newbie

3) What type of protein should i be eating, how much of it that will help my body building goals, what should i eat before i start lifting weights or can I lift weights with an empty stomach when i get out of bed.

4) What would be a good workout plan to build my chest, arms, back for now for a newbie weight lifter that is a 65 year old grandpa

5) Can i accomplish this with a 30 minute workout or require more time i am short on time right now

6) What other question i should be asking myself before i start training in my home
    Putting on 30 pounds of MUSCLE is not a realistic expectation for 6 months. I would start by reading the stickies in the nutrition section. It will show you how to figure your TDEE (maintenance calories) and also advise you on gaining/losing weight. As far as a workout plan, there are several stickies in this section (workout programs) that would be good for you as a new lifter; Allpro's, Vikings, Feirce 5, etc. There is a ton of good information in the stickies in every section of the website.

needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needhelp65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi thanks Wilkinkc... my aim it gain weight I meant to say, I am skinny around 115lbs as far as muscle not sure how much muscle to put on in 6 months my goal for muscle is not to look skinny anymore and with just a bigger firmer chest that does not sag like tities and bigger arms then they are now nothing exaggerated just want to look firmer and a little bigger chest and arms then they are now thanks will follow your advice and check the things out you told me to check out

Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gdjjcrn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How old are you ? If you are over 40 you should get you testosterone levels checked it would help you a lot.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by needhelp65 View Post

Little about me:

Goals:

Questions & Concerns:

Just start with a lighter version of the movement you are doing, the empty bar is standard, if the bar is heavy for say bench then you could do a few sets of push ups first.

An olympic bar with weights, Ideally a rack either half or full for this to go in. Dumbbells are silly money at the momenet so I wouldn't bother.

Any really, 3-4 meals with a protein serving (30g ish) a day would be decent. Fish, eggs, steak, tofu etc all fine

the same as a 18 year old new lifter really, training age is a bigger variable than actual age, any base novice program like Fierce 5 is or Greyskull lp is fine, if a movement is too hard find an easier regression Barbell squats - goblet squats, deadlifts - Romanian deadlifts etc

That will be tricky, you will need some technique practice and I would avoid rushing any beginners as a rule.. an hour might be doable

Answers in bold
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In addition to advice above:

- Given your age, you may find light dynamic stretching useful in warming up your muscles and joints before your warmup sets. But if you don't feel it's helpful, no need to do it. In general, take things gradually and don't overdo it.

- A barbell with 120 lbs weights is a good start, but you'll need to upgrade per above at some point if you stick with it. You can get 100 lb spinlock dbs sold directly by big online retailers at affordable prices if you keep checking often, but they sell out quick once they come in stock.

- Don't put a time limit on when you want to see significant gains, otherwise you might give up if things aren't working according to your pre-determined timeline. Just try to make progress and get in better shape.

- 30 lbs in 4 months isn't a good rate of weight gain for anyone at any age, as you won't be happy with the results of your lifting. Bulking even when you get into your 40s can get tricky for many people, and even on a lean bulk people sometimes find more seems to be fat and go to the wrong places than it used to. So try to eat at a smaller cal surplus so a good portion of your weight gain is muscle.

- Given your age and diabetes, consider consulting your doctor before undertaking any new exercise and nutrition program.

Thanks for your advice it is starting to get clearer, and i guess i will have to talk to my doctor too based on your advice thanks Edwin

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    In addition to advice above:

- Given your age, you may find light dynamic stretching useful in warming up your muscles and joints before your warmup sets. But if you don't feel it's helpful, no need to do it. In general, take things gradually and don't overdo it.

- A barbell with 120 lbs weights is a good start, but you'll need to upgrade per above at some point if you stick with it. You can get 100 lb spinlock dbs sold directly by big online retailers at affordable prices if you keep checking often, but they sell out quick once they come in stock.

- Don't put a time limit on when you want to see significant gains, otherwise you might give up if things aren't working according to your pre-determined timeline. Just try to make progress and get in better shape.

- 30 lbs in 4 months isn't a good rate of weight gain for anyone at any age, as you won't be happy with the results of your lifting. Bulking even when you get into your 40s can get tricky for many people, and even on a lean bulk people sometimes find more seems to be fat and go to the wrong places than it used to. So try to eat at a smaller cal surplus so a good portion of your weight gain is muscle.

- Given your age and diabetes, consider consulting your doctor before undertaking any new exercise and nutrition program.