bittersalt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

substituting leg day with running during quarantine?

Hi guys, I know it might trigger some of you hardcore lifters but is it okay to replace leg day with running during this quarantine? I am under a strict quarantine right now and gyms are closed, but I have access to an olympic size running track. My 30lbs dumbells just can't get the job done anymore because it's too light for me. Any suggestions?

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Huge difference between running and lifting, but when you lack another option, sounds OK.
    Maybe sprinting would be a good option.
    Have you tried one leg squats or one leg deadlifts?
    Or high rep lunges with those dumbells?

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bittersalt View Post
    Hi guys, I know it might trigger some of you hardcore lifters but is it okay to replace leg day with running during this quarantine? I am under a strict quarantine right now and gyms are closed, but I have access to an olympic size running track. My 30lbs dumbells just can't get the job done anymore because it's too light for me. Any suggestions?
    Weighted Jump squats, Bulgarians, pistol squats I sure will still push you. Do you have a bike? Pick a super steep hill and ride up it hard. Do 10 sets of that.

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got a band,heel and bosu ball by any chance?

I was restricted to 40lb dumbells myself during the lock down. Here's what I did:

Copied a set up which somewhat resembles a hack squat position by using placing the ball between my back and a wall ( could also work with a foam roller). Squatted all the way down, ass to grass. Set up the bands so that they were held down under my feet and looped around my upper traps. Had my heels slightly elevated using some plates or heeled shoes. Held each dumbell in each hand and did a set to complete failure with complete range of motion. Drop the bands, continue with the dumbells to failure. Drop the dumbells, continue with bodyweight to failure. Super set in with a wall sit hold. Rest 30-60 seconds, rinse and repeat for 5 sets.

And that's just the first exercise of the day Here's a link displaying the set up if it's hard to visualize - https://www.instagram.com/p/B-OJa80hmUt/
    Some regular lifting posts (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If you were serious about leg hypertrophy and strength before then the answer is no. Some good suggestions above. There is always a way to do something. Running is not the same kind of exercise.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Leg day is great, running is great... but the 2 things aren't at all the same. You can't compare the two.

Do running, AND do leg strength training.

Google "pistol squat progression" and treat the rep ranges and progressive overload (progressively harder variations) just like you should with weights

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't say how long you've been lifting. But if you don't consider yourself a "hardcore lifter" then I'd easily skip the pistol squats (experienced CrossFitters do sets of reps with weight). Sub these for one legged squats and full range of motion step-ups with DBs (do you have a very sturdy chair?). Try keeping that one foot off the floor throughout these exercises. This should be hard enough with full range of motion (high reps to muscular failure).

Good luck!! I know how challenging it is to train legs during quarantine with limited equipment. And I also know firsthand how challenging pistols can be when you are a beginner (you don't say how much weight you normally back barbel squat). I've been doing weighted and non-weighted pistols consistently for over a few years now, and I wouldn't recommend them to beginners with little weight training experience or a solid strength base anymore. If you're at a CrossFit box the instructors can personally teach you the correct form so you don't unintentionally tweak a knee (due to lack of balance skill/training or flexibility).
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get some cinder blocks and a galvanized steel pole, won't cost too much. Grab some bricks to add weight more incrementally while you're at it. Then if you have a floor, you can deadlift, RDL, Zercher squat, and hack squat.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get some cinder blocks and a galvanized steel pipe, shouldn't cost too much. Grab some bricks to add weight more incrementally while you're at it. Then if you have a floor, you can deadlift, RDL, Zercher squat, and hack squat.

UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100) UniLyfter is not very well liked. (-100)
    You can try sprints. When I first went into quarantine, I started doing single leg weighted pistol squats and lunges etc. You can find a calisthenics program to help with programming.