Closed Thread
    k0nstant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Health risks of cutting at 17? (started lifting 3-4 years ago)

Hello all, I have been running and doing light weights during the quarantine and started losing weight, only recently have I actually started paying attention to my calories.

After years of bulking I have finally decided I wanted to lose fat, and to do that a caloric deficit is needed. I'm prepared to lose muscle, I want to do a lean bulk after I get to a low bodyfat.

Problem is, it seems many people on the forum are saying it's not good to cut when you're a teen. Keep in mind, I have cut before when I needed to for highschool wrestling, so this idea was strange. It's been years since my first lift, so I don't think "noobie gains" are a part of the picture right now. If it's height or hormone related, I haven't grown in forever, so I think my puberty phase is over.

What are the health risks for cutting at my age? Is it really bad to be losing weight just because I'm 17?

Some more information:
    According to the bodybuilding.com nutrient calculator for "fat loss", I am supposed to eat 37g fat, 170g carb and protein. I do eat around that, just slightly less. What I eat in reality is 37g fat, 145(?)g carb and 160g protein.

1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Let's see if your current physique warrants a cut. How much real estate you have to work with.

Post a pic.

Many people think they have a foundation to work with, cut, and then up looking like they have Graves disease.
    Curing disease.

Strong mind+Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by k0nstant View Post
    After years of bulking I have finally decided I wanted to lose fat, and to do that a caloric deficit is needed. I'm prepared to lose muscle, I want to do a lean bulk after I get to a low bodyfat.
    Cutting and bulking is completely unnecessary as a teen. You can just eat at maintenance and build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

At 17 your body is still growing. It needs nutrients for many reasons. Going into energy deficit white you're still growing is a bad idea for this reason. It will also reduce your testosterone and impact other hormones. Just completely unnecessary, unless you're significantly overweight.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Cutting and bulking is completely unnecessary as a teen. You can just eat at maintenance and build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

At 17 your body is still growing. It needs nutrients for many reasons. Going into energy deficit white you're still growing is a bad idea for this reason. It will also reduce your testosterone and impact other hormones. Just completely unnecessary, unless you're significantly overweight.
    This. Eat at maintenance and lift. No cutting or bulking until you're at least 20 or get unhealthily fat ot skinny. Throwing in some cardio would be good.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Looks like your question is answered OP.