NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NextPound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Need to fix my diet for myself and family - calling nutritional science bros and gals

Other than breakfast, and occasionally lunch, I have not really put any thought into diet for dinners etc. I need to work on my diet game - like full on review and re-engineer our diet - I know, I know - incremental change, but still. What I want to do is to sort out meals with proper nutrition all around. I know this is a forum on nutrition, but honestly, there is a good chance a lot of posts are non-sense not backed up by real nutritional science.

For you actual nutritional science bros and gals - do you have a good book on nutrition and science you would recommend.

Maybe 1 for starting out and 2 more advanced?

Measlie reps for any help.

Thanks.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NextPound View Post
    Other than breakfast, and occasionally lunch, I have not really put any thought into diet for dinners etc. I need to work on my diet game - like full on review and re-engineer our diet - I know, I know - incremental change, but still. What I want to do is to sort out meals with proper nutrition all around. I know this is a forum on nutrition, but honestly, there is a good chance a lot of posts are non-sense not backed up by real nutritional science.

For you actual nutritional science bros and gals - do you have a good book on nutrition and science you would recommend.

Thanks.
    Hey man, you haven't quite specified your goal but I'm going to assume you just mean for general health so I'd say for "general family friendly advice" as opposed to bodybuilding advice:

1) Try and include source of protein, a source of fat and a source of fiber with every meal.
    2) Make sure every meal includes a serving of either fruit or vegetables including breakfast
    3) Avoid trans fats
    4) Try and stick to whole food ingredients as much as possible to avoid unnecessary preservatives and other chemicals such as colourants, sabilizers, artificial flavourings
    5) Be moderate with treats but no need to cut them out all together
    6) be moderate with portions and size them according to who is eating them
    7) don't over-salt food but some salt for flavour is fine
    8) keep extra servings of easy to eat fruit and veg around for snacks (apples, plums, carrot sticks etc)
    9) remove easy to reach servings of mindless snacks such as potato chips or chocolate bars from the house, these are occasional indulgences, not everyday snacks.
    10) Make water the go-to drink in the house. Sugar free squash for a bit of flavor if absolutely necessary. Keep fizzy drinks and high calorie drinks for BBQs, birthday parties, meals out etc.
    11) Include more fish and shellfish in your diet for healthy fat
    12) eat a higher ratio of lean meat to red meat but no need to cut out red meat
    13) include more nutrient dense foods to your diet such as beans and pulses (loads of fiber, protein, vitamins all in one), oats/other whole grains (fiber and slow release carbs for satiation), fish (as mentioned above), sweet potatoes (more vitamin dense than potatoes and slightly more fiber) but no need to go 'full clean' as you will find this is just restrictive and miserable.

EDIT: I've based this on you mentioning you want your whole family to rethink their eating habits so I haven't geared this towards fitness/your personal goals. I hope that's what you meant?

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks.
    Well the best place to start since you're already on the forum is the stickies here in the nutrition section.

You havent really listed your goals here as to why you want to reform your diet. If you just want to eat "healthier" there really isn't any need to go reading books about that in my opinion. The best thing to do is to eat a diverse range of different foods and try to stick to whole, unprocessed foods with little or no added artificial ingredients.

There are so many differences in the human diet both chronologically as well as geographically. You really have to decide what you wanna go for if you actually wanna stick to a sort of regimen.

There has been a lot of research done on Mediterranean based diets showing promise in the prevention of heart and vascular diseases. Lots of healthy fats, fish, whole grains, red wine...

If I were to give you my objective opinion I would say eat both a hearty breakfast and dinner, keeping lunch on the lighter side. Again it's just my opinion based on how I feel best throughout the days.

Reach for good lean sources of protein and incorporate healthy fats from oils, nuts, fish. Always strive to include several servings of green vegetables into each day and perhaps a multivitamin.

Most importantly in my opinion, don't punish yourself and demonize certain foods arbitrarily. If you like cake, candy, pudding, etc...THEN EAT IT. Is it bad for you? Yeah, probably. Although in moderation it isn't going to hurt. Live life enjoyably.

To end, this is really just my own opinion and I'm sure you could get way more complicated with it. Tell us your goals so others can chime in. Good luck!

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks.
    Read the stickies.
    Currently: traveling + MA Forensic Psych

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Albania 2021, Scotland 2021

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gelliebean1996 View Post
    Thank you for these kind reminders.
    Please leave this forum, we don't need your "motivational" spamming and your useless posts.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.