SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Itching for my first 1-2 specialty bars...what should I get?

Some info about me:
    -I have all the basics (rack, bench, barbell, db's, bike, etc) and would like to add 1-2 specialty bars to my home gym.
    -I'm mainly looking to add VARIETY into my workouts, rather than work around an injury, or "add pounds to my squat", etc.
    -I'm a casual lifter who lifts for general health and fitness.
    -The only specialty bar I've ever used is an EZ curl bar.

What 1-2 specialty bars would you recommend I look into to add variety and make home workouts more enjoyable?
    Last edited by SemperDeus; 08-05-2020 at 10:53 AM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my top 2 would be

SSB
    Football bar

Edit: didn't even slightly think you might not have a barbell, if that's the case then a decent power bar for sure
    Last edited by WolfRose7; 08-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SemperDeus View Post
    Some info about me:
    -I have all the basics (rack, bench, db's, bike, etc) and would like to add 1-2 specialty bars to my home gym.
    -I'm mainly looking to add VARIETY into my workouts, rather than work around an injury, or "add pounds to my squat", etc.
    -I'm a casual lifter who lifts for general health and fitness.
    -The only specialty bar I've ever used is an EZ curl bar.

What 1-2 specialty bars would you recommend I look into to add variety and make home workouts more enjoyable?
    Just an observation, but I noticed you didn't list a barbell. If that's the case then I recommend going that route first a power bar would be perfect such as one from American Barbell, Rogue, or Rep Fitness.

After that for variety purposes a Football bar with the angled grips are nice and so is a good quality trap bar/hex bar...I would go in the favor of a trap bar more since you're looking for more general purpose lifting.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Id certainly agree with wolf rose's comment.
    A SSBar is one i personally use quite a bit.
    The yoke bar EliteFTS is my go to.
    Also the football/swiss bar,i have the one with the angled handles so it can be flipped over for semi supinated or semi pronated but i do have an old one with straight handles.
    Good luck.

SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10) SemperDeus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have an American Barbell Elite power bar that I absolutely love. I went back and edited my original post to mention the bar, it totally slipped my mind to include.

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    my top 2 would be

SSB
    Football bar

Edit: didn't even slightly think you might not have a barbell, if that's the case then a decent power bar for sure
    I've heard a lot of people say that safety squat bars are their #1 used specialty bar, but it seems mostly from people who are powerlifters or folks with shoulder issues. Thats been the thing thats kept me from jumping on the titan SSB.

Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Just an observation, but I noticed you didn't list a barbell. If that's the case then I recommend going that route first a power bar would be perfect such as one from American Barbell, Rogue, or Rep Fitness.

After that for variety purposes a Football bar with the angled grips are nice and so is a good quality trap bar/hex bar...I would go in the favor of a trap bar more since you're looking for more general purpose lifting.
    Do you think a trap bar is "better" than a SSB for general purpose lifting? I've never used either bar, but have seen both of them in many home gym pics. Would you mind elaborating a bit more?

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not try an American barbell T-Grip? Thinking about getting on in the future, would be great for a wide variety of things.

https://americanbarbell.com/collecti...ith-solid-ends

https://americanbarbell.com/collecti...olympic-sleeve
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    my top 2 would be

SSB
    Football bar
    +1. I have the EliteFTS SSB and the Reps Direct football bar/American Barbell football bar is next on my list.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think you should figure out where you could use some variety in your workout routine and buy a specialty bar to fit that instead of just buying a specialty bar to buy one. You can do most things with a barbell and a lot of specialty bars are to make it easier working around an injury. For example, I use a multi-grip bar for bench and OHP because I have bad wrists, it makes pressing much more pleasant but I would just use a regular barbell if I could.

There are tons of squat variations you can do with a regular barbell so if you don't really need a SSB then is it really worth the purchase? Maybe if you just want another bar but if you can do all those variants then I wouldn't get one. If you just said I want to buy new bars because I'm like most people in the equipment forum and like to buy new gym equipment then I'd suggest a curl bar, multi-grip bar, SSB, and open trap bar in that order.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I'd suggest a curl bar, multi-grip bar, SSB, and open trap bar in that order.
    The T-Grip bar satisfies #1 and #2 on your list in one purchase, with the added benefit of being rack-able where most curl bars are not.

Wasn't a fan of SSB's myself, unless you have debilitating shoulder pain or are an aspiring Powerlifter I'd test one first.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Curl bar and hex bar.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SemperDeus View Post
    I have an American Barbell Elite power bar that I absolutely love. I went back and edited my original post to mention the bar, it totally slipped my mind to include.

I've heard a lot of people say that safety squat bars are their #1 used specialty bar, but it seems mostly from people who are powerlifters or folks with shoulder issues. Thats been the thing thats kept me from jumping on the titan SSB.

Do you think a trap bar is "better" than a SSB for general purpose lifting? I've never used either bar, but have seen both of them in many home gym pics. Would you mind elaborating a bit more?
    First, excellent choice on the AB Elite PB and as for the trap bar choice it mainly boils down to preference and opinion, but I see a lot of general purpose lifters who wouldn't even consider standard deadlifting due to the form and shear forces debate which is where a trap bar could come in handy as part of ones arsenal, not to mention being able to get away with heavier high volume work with it and there's a few other ways you can get creative with one for additional movements lower and upper body movements if you get a rackable, or open end version, also make no mistake about using one as even some competitive athletes train on trap bars.

This is obviously no jab to the Football bar which is a top favorite of mine as well (probably should've just called it a tie between the two), but since you said you had dumbbells and a curl bar along with the primary stuff I figured I'd put the trap bar up top since the Football bar could be somewhat replicated (although typically not as heavy) with the dumbbells in the meantime...that's not to say that the Football bar isn't nice to have and is great for upper body variations (bench, rows, OHPs, hammer curls, tricep extensions/skullcrushers).

As for pitting it up against the SSB, I'm of the camp of using a traditional power bar for squats if your shoulders are healthy and thankfully I haven't had any shoulder issues to justify a SSB (well that and a cramped space doesn't help so it would be a guessing game I wouldn't personally want to deal with previously and for now if I don't need it).

Opinions are subjective and others mileage may vary, but I find for specialty bars the rackable trap bar and Football bar to be more unique as far as variety goes and general purpose weightlifting is concerned.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 08-05-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    that's not to say that the Football bar isn't nice to have and is great for upper body variations (bench, rows, OHPs, hammer curls, tricep extensions/skullcrushers).
    I'd imagine the football bar wouldn't be hateful for front squatting either....

If a trap bar wins out, the Rickshaw from Edge (or Titan's knockoff) would be high on my list.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Curious, how high do your dumbbells go and in what increments? You can never have enough dumbbells, usable on just about every exercise. If not a complete collection(up to 200's in 5lb increments), i'd definitely work on building those up first.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    I'd imagine the football bar wouldn't be hateful for front squatting either....

If a trap bar wins out, the Rickshaw from Edge (or Titan's knockoff) would be high on my list.
    Absolutely, I forgot about those, but front squats work very well with the FBB. I always liked the design of the Rickshaw, it seems more portable than a traditional trap bar design as well (specifically rackable designs)...I guess there's give and take for both versions.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    The T-Grip bar satisfies #1 and #2 on your list in one purchase, with the added benefit of being rack-able where most curl bars are not.
    As a very happy owner of the T-Grip bar I completely agree and I ended up selling my curl bars after I got it. Still have a cheap Titan multigrip bar I paid $89 shipped for but I like it occasionally for some things the T-Grip bar doesn't do as well (close grip).

Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    As a very happy owner of the T-Grip bar I completely agree and I ended up selling my curl bars after I got it. Still have a cheap Titan multigrip bar I paid $89 shipped for but I like it occasionally for some things the T-Grip bar doesn't do as well (close grip).
    I like my FBB (due to the multiple grip variety) better than my actual curl bar, the only thing unique on my actual curl bar is that it's a custom 2.5" knurled fat grip, although that can be easily replicated (minus the knurl) with Fat Gripz.

Thank you for all the tips, i also went and watched a couple videos on safety squat bars. Doesn't look like its gonna be the way to go for me. Not to mention I have no problems doing low bar back squats, front squats, Bulgarian split squats, etc...i feel like thats an area where I actually have some variety. I'll do some research on a trap bar, and of the SSB and trap options, its likely the better fit. However, I have no problem doing regular deadlifts either..it's probably my most favorite exercise in the gym.

I'm very interested in the AB T-grip bar. Would you say it fully replaces an EZ curl bar for skull crushers and EZ bar curls, or more like a "well it kinda works ok". The reason I ask is I was waiting to pick up a rackable curl bar from Rogue as soon as it came back into stock, but if this T-grip bar replaces that and also gives me more variety, then that makes my decision pretty easy.

I think a saw a thread recently where someone had gotten the t-grip bar and posted pictures and a review of it. If i remember correctly it was a relatively recent thread, but I can't seem to find it now. Was it one of you guys?

Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sboarder1964 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You said you want variety: There's only 1-2 exercises you can do with an SSB - I would NOT go that route.

I'd recommend them in this order in terms of giving you the most variety.

1. Axle
    2. Trap Bar
    3. Swiss/Football Bar

Axle - cleans, deads, rows, bench, curls, you name it
    Trap Bar - Deads, rows, farmer carries
    Swiss Bar - Bench, rows, curls... awkward OHP
    York History - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dbRIGo0tZlrume27s3jusN2gtuEfLgQXOt1UPTZUfnI/edit

MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MajorTendonitis has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Fortunately I learned about MAG’s right here at BB , and find myself using them much more than my conventional bars for back . There the ones at the centre of the pic . I’ve got five , but I think I’m going to order the neutral one tomorrow now that you’ve got me thinking about it.

Here’s the link
    https://www.maxagrip.com/products/

Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 08-05-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    Asteroid 2020