View Poll Results: What Should I Do? (Options In Order By My Preference)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't Change Anything

1 33.33%
  • Add Progressive Overload Lifting After CrossFit

0 0%
  • Replace CrossFit Workouts With My Own Programming

0 0%
  • Other (Please Comment)

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    greglevine is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How Do I Make CrossFit Compatible With My Goals?

TLDR: My main goal is to look like the men in the photos I attached, and I started out skinny-fat and have made some progress since but plateaued. Should I change nothing, add progressive overload lifting after CrossFit classes, or replace the pre-written daily workouts with my own programming?

Hi, I'm a 22-year-old, 5'9 male who weighs 170 lb. I'm currently 21-22% body fat. I get 9-11 hours of sleep per night, often very late (e.g. 5 a.m. - 3 p.m.) but also pretty random. My BMR was professionally measured at 1,947 calories, so my TDEE is probably around 2,500 calories. I do CrossFit an hour a day, 5 days a week.

I did a lot of research and made myself a meal plan. I'll be attempting body recomposition (simultaneously building muscle and burning fat) by eating my maintenance-level 2,500 calories, but if that doesn't work, I'll ramp up to 3,000 calories for a lean bulk to put on the 7 lb. of muscle I lost during quarantine, then gradually cut down to 2,200 or so calories to get to 10% body fat. I'll be eating 200g protein, 55g fat, and 300g carbs, or if I end up lean bulking, then 200g protein, 67g fat, and 400g carbs.

Not to be overlooked, I have a cheat day once a week on average. On those days I'll pig out with my buddies and eat 4,566 calories, 159g protein, 140g fat, and 417g carbs worth of hibachi, Buffalo Wild Wings, and alcohol (1 25 oz. Smirnoff Ice Smash, 6 8 oz. Straw-Ber-Ritas - 9 drinks worth total, all 16 proof). These are the only days I can let loose and have fun, so I'd much rather work around this than remove/reduce it, but if I absolutely must, I will.

I used to be skinny-fat until I started doing CrossFit. That is, I looked somewhat scrawny (not quite like a twig) with a shirt on, but somewhat chubby with my shirt off. My lift numbers were downright embarrassing, and my metcon (main workout; high heart rate) times were abysmal. Now, I could still probably be put in the skinny-fat category, but at least now I'm a tiny bit muscular and slightly toned. My lift numbers are on the advanced end of intermediate, and my metcon times are respectable, but these have both plateaued.

My main goal is to look muscular and lean like the men in the photos I attached to this post. My secondary goal is to be as fit/athletic as possible - that includes raw strength, speed, endurance, explosiveness, mobility, technique, etc.

At my local box (CrossFit gym), the daily routine is usually 15-20 minutes of heavy lifting followed by the metcon for 12-30 minutes. On any given day, the heavy lifting portion is about 50% likely to show up on the whiteboard, and the metcon time lengths vary a ton. Ever since the box reopened, we haven't been able to do barbell bench presses, back squats, or 1RM front squats, nor have we been doing any progressive overload programs like we used to (e.g. 8-5-3-2-1 squats on Mondays, bench presses on Tuesdays, deadlifts on Wednesdays). At my local box, we are allowed to stay after class and use any of the equipment.

My question is this: is my current CrossFit regimen completely compatible with my goals, or do I need to make changes? More specifically, should I: change nothing at all, add progressive overload lifting after class, or write my own programming instead of the prescribed workouts? I've scoured the internet, probably 20+ hours, searching for answers, but every single bit of information I've found leaves some ambiguity that may or may not invalidate it, given my precise background. I won't leave my local CrossFit box, because I have tons of friends there, it's much cheaper in my area, and if need be, I can just use the available equipment and do whatever I want, basically treating it like a regular gym, while still socializing with my friends.

Photos of my my goal body, in case the attachments don't work:

https : // www . lfitness . net/wp-content/gallery/muscle-fitness/muscle-fitness . jpg
    https : // cravingideas . blogs . com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/10/cksabato . jpg
    https : // imagesvc . meredithcorp . io/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic . onecms . io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F20%2F2016%2F10%2Fzac-efron-2-435-28 . jpg
    Attached Images

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You ask a very broad question about a very specific goal. The best approach any way will be to just get stronger and eat lean but high protein foods. Follow a good novice program, calculate your tdee and eat lots of protein, sleep a lot to recover, and keep going for a long time.
    Currently cutting: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1616872851&viewfull=1#post1616872851

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've always wanted to be taller, if I attach pics of some professional basketball players could you advise how I can look as tall as them?

Or... I could stop comparing myself to others and just concentrate on busting my azz consistently long term to become "the best version of myself". Sure the expression is a cliché, but IMHO comparison to underwear models is as helpful as wanting to be as tall as Shaquille O'Neill or whoever

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't have a problem with CrossFit if you enjoy it, but IMO your current routine isn't compatible with your goals. Without knowing exactly what you do, so far it's gotten you from your own estimates of skinny fat @ 21-22% bf to still skinny fat but a tiny bit muscular/toned. You also talk about re-comping until you get to Zac Efron physique, otherwise you'll bulk up to gain 7 lbs of muscle and then cut down to 10% bf to achieve it, as if it all works that simple in reality. You also don't want to give up your weekly cheat day of pigging out and drinking and you don't want to give up CrossFit because of the cheap price and your friends there.

I agree with above that you shouldn't make looking like someone else the goal of your program. But if you are, and you've done tons of research, you should also research how your 3 specific people achieved their physiques. If their routines don't include a weekly cheat day or CrossFit, take that into consideration too, and consider whether you should try to make your current routine compatible with your goals or instead just pick a routine that actually is compatible.

You seem to think your only 3 options are to stick to CrossFit as is, add lifting after CrossFit or do your own programming. So rather than suggesting something that you won't want to hear, I wish you the best of luck and suggest you just aim to be a fitter and more muscular version of yourself.

SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SquatsnMilk82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you want to look more like those guys you are probably going to need more muscle mass. Get bigger and stronger first, then focus on all the frivolties around it. 531 for beginners will help you a lot I think. It focuses on getting stronger while allowing for some pumpwork and conditioning.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SquatsnMilk82 View Post
    If you want to look more like those guys you are probably going to need more muscle mass. Get bigger and stronger first, then focus on all the frivolties around it. 531 for beginners will help you a lot I think. It focuses on getting stronger while allowing for some pumpwork and conditioning.
    5/3/1 for beginners is a very good fullbody beginners' program
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 73kg (20/09/2020)