Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100)

Do you recommend The Multi Leverage Machine (Powertec or Body Solid Corner?)

So I thought I would make a new thread, since my last thread was about the Bowflex Home Gym. I was originally dead set on getting one, but after seeing some other alternative recommendations, I'm not so sure I should choose it over a Power Tec Leverage gym or a Body Solid Corner Leverage Gym.

While it doesn't give you chest flys, I'm very impressed with the ability to do all the compound movements and in addition to the cable exercises such as lat pulldowns, rows, curls, and tricep pushdowns. It even has an optional leg press accessory. Very impressive. Combined with dumbbells, you can do so many exercises.

I do want to make it very clear though that I'm not interested in free weight barbells or racks at this point in time. But I do like cables, dumbbells and some machines options. If I ever wanted to do barbells, I'd wait to go back to the gym one day, but becoming as strong and huge as humanly possibly for me is not my priority.

I'm not sure if the space I have would fit a leverage machine though. So the height of my room is about 7 foot 2 to 7 foot 4. It's about 12 to 13 feed wide and about 7 foot 8 in length. On the other corner is 8 foot 8 in length. I was reading that you need at least 7.5 feet in height to fit the Powertec Leverage machine. That's the biggest issue, the height. I'm not sure exactly how much the minimum would be.

But I'm surprised at how much I'm looking into other options. I was pretty sold on the Bowflex but after seeing a skinny guy on youtube doing 315 on the bench press admitting they could never do that in real life, makes me think that the Bowflex would be very limited in muscular stimulation. So what do you think? The PowerTec or Body Solid Leverage machine worth the costs? Where do you buy weight plates? I see none at the store or online.
    Last edited by Einhander12; 08-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.

JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    where are you located?

Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100) Einhander12 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    where are you located?
    San Francisco Bay Area. Actually I realized that the room I'm probably gonna put it in is a bit bigger. 11 by 11 and the ceiling is around 8 feet tall.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Einhander12,

If you're considering going with a leverage gym first, here's an in depth review I wrote on the Body-Solid version a few months back...

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=178407461

JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JustTheDad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's a good thread. rep'd both you and urbanlifter on it. There's probably someplace in the bay area Einhander can try one out too.

Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Einhander12,

If you're considering going with a leverage gym first, here's an in depth review I wrote on the Body-Solid version a few months back...

Awesome. I have a question. When you buy weighted plates, do you need a certain amount of weight to hold it down in the rack area in the back?

thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Einhander12 View Post
    Awesome. I have a question. When you buy weighted plates, do you need a certain amount of weight to hold it down in the rack area in the back?
    I can't comment on the BodySolid as I've never used one. I do have the PowerTec leverage gym, a much older model, and I don't need any additional weights to hold it down or make it steadier. I used to have a Powertec leverage squat machine that I did need additional plates on the storage horns to help keep it steady. I was able to get mine used. If I had to buy new, I'd probably opt for the BodySolid. Although PowerTec does make some nice add-ons for their leverage gym, like a fly/rear delt, preacher curl, and dip attachments.
    I honestly don't use my rack and barbell much anymore. I'm pretty much using dumbbells and my leverage machine. I can still lift the weights I used to in my 30s, but my joints will hurt much longer. I look for ways now to make lighter weights feel heavier, higher reps/volume, pre-exhaustion, drop sets, etc. Easier for me to do with the leverage machine. At some point soon I'll get rid of my rack and get an IronMaster IM2000, pretty much a smith machine.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I can't comment on the BodySolid as I've never used one. I do have the PowerTec leverage gym, a much older model, and I don't need any additional weights to hold it down or make it steadier. I used to have a Powertec leverage squat machine that I did need additional plates on the storage horns to help keep it steady. I was able to get mine used. If I had to buy new, I'd probably opt for the BodySolid. Although PowerTec does make some nice add-ons for their leverage gym, like a fly/rear delt, preacher curl, and dip attachments.
    I honestly don't use my rack and barbell much anymore. I'm pretty much using dumbbells and my leverage machine. I can still lift the weights I used to in my 30s, but my joints will hurt much longer. I look for ways now to make lighter weights feel heavier, higher reps/volume, pre-exhaustion, drop sets, etc. Easier for me to do with the leverage machine. At some point soon I'll get rid of my rack and get an IronMaster IM2000, pretty much a smith machine.

Yea, I'm in the same boat as you. I like to lift, but the barbells kill me. They hurt my joints.

Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Greybird2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Post 8 mentions Powertec assessories. I forgot about that. I have the dip, curl and leg curl/ext. They all work pretty well.

gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Einhander12 View Post
    Yea, I'm in the same boat as you. I like to lift, but the barbells kill me. They hurt my joints.
    If you have joint problems this kind of leverage set up may not be a great choice, I had the Powertec Multi Press, whilst it was a very good unit, I have shoulder problems and the straight leverage movement really didn't help my shoulders.

Machines where the levers are designed to converge/diverge feel more natural and are generally considered to be more joint friendly, at the time I owned Body Solid and Powertec equipment their levers didn't converge/diverge, of course designs may have changed in the last 10 years.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Post 8 mentions Powertec assessories. I forgot about that. I have the dip, curl and leg curl/ext. They all work pretty well.

Nice. What accessories come with the machine?

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    If you have joint problems this kind of leverage set up may not be a great choice, I had the Powertec Multi Press, whilst it was a very good unit, I have shoulder problems and the straight leverage movement really didn't help my shoulders.

Machines where the levers are designed to converge/diverge feel more natural and are generally considered to be more joint friendly, at the time I owned Body Solid and Powertec equipment their levers didn't converge/diverge, of course designs may have changed in the last 10 years.

Possibly. I was looking at the Bowflex before. I don't think my joints are horrible, but I sleep heavy on my shoulders sometimes. I know that the lat pulldown and cable row attachment will be perfectly fine for me. I'm sure I can do back rows, deadlifts, squats and calve raises on the machine with no problem.

Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000) Skidmarx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've owned both brands and had both or their largest leverage systems. IMO the body solid felt more solid and more accommodating to a tall person like myself. The only con I can think of is the body solid pad vinyl is some cheap sh@t that the outer covering flakes off over time. Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty but you need a receipt, so it has to be purchased new to have a warranty.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    The leverage dip was an attachment I was considering, but the pictures I've seen of it appears like you need to use it standing up. Every dip machine I've ever used was seated and had a seatbelt to keep you on the bench on heavier sets. How does the dip attachment feel when standing? Can you lean into it, like on a seated on to more target chest, and keep your torso more upright to target the triceps?
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.