Filmguyuk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink Post Covid - Getting Into Shape - exercise recommendations needed

Hello, this is my very first post - so go gentle

I'm approaching 40 and prior to having COVID towards the end of March, my weight had steadily increased to just under 18 stone. Since getting ill and generally having some major job interruptions, the one thing I really had some control over was my weight. Over the course of the past 90 days, I've been able to shed about 3.5 stone mainly by doing gentle exercise and really controlling what I was eating/drinking.

It's been a real revelation, mainly due to having a locked-in strong mindset and learning about consistency. Being away from my old sedentary office has removed a lot of my old snacking temptation - which is great.

Anyhow, due to some ongoing COVID issues around nerve pain in my neck, I've been gradually using weights at home. I'm really trying to develop my arms, chest and core but some things are simply not possible due to aggravating the nerve pain. I've found specifically pushups trigger this pain and anything that puts pressure on my neck. I wondered if anyone had some recommendation for exercises or weight reps. I've currently got a curl bar and some free weights and would really welcome some input from people in the know. I'm a total novice and know very little but have become excited by the weight loss and want to build on this progress.

Thanks again - Matt.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you seen a doctor about the pain? A lot of people with COVID-19 are having lingering cardiac issues so if you get any chest pain at any point stop exercising and let your doctor know.

There are lots of sticky threads in the workout programs section that go over different routines. You can find any good beginner routine you like (ie, Fierce 5) and then make a thread how to modify it to accommodate your limitations.

Filmguyuk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the response! I've had CT's with contrast (ink tracing), an MRI and also a lumber punch - which was the single worst thing ever. Thankfully it's being put down to lingering nerve pain and nothing more serious. I'll check out the Fierce 5 and see how I could work with that. Thanks again for your response.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Filmguyuk View Post
    Thanks for the response! I've had CT's with contrast (ink tracing), an MRI and also a lumber punch - which was the single worst thing ever. Thankfully it's being put down to lingering nerve pain and nothing more serious. I'll check out the Fierce 5 and see how I could work with that. Thanks again for your response.
    By lumbar punch do you mean lumbar puncture? I honestly didn't think they were that bad, lol (I've done them on children but they do typically require sedation if they are not babies).

Hopefully the nerve pain continues to gradually improve. The loss of smell/taste is thought to be due to nerve issues and most people are getting that back (though it is lingering for some). I haven't come across a lot of discussion of persistent neck pain but this virus seems to be hitting everybody very differently. What exactly does your pain feel like and where do you feel it? Does it radiate anywhere?