JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thoughts on push pull leg split?

I've been doing a 3 day full body routine for the past year and after seeing a physio about some hip pain he informed me I have weak hips and glutes. He recommended a push-pull-legs split instead, on top of some other home exercises to help. Just wanted to know if this a good split for going gym 3 days per week also what exercises would be good for this split, any good routines you recommend?
    Yours Sincerely

Just That Brah

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PPL 3 days/week isn't ideal IMO since you're hitting muscle groups only 1x/week, but I assume your physio feels you should only do your lower body 1x/week to allow for more recovery given your issues? If you're happy with your current full body program, you could probably just take it and break it up into a PPL format, with a few tweaks on exercises and volume.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like a crappy physio. That's all I have to say.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Sounds like a crappy physio. That's all I have to say.
    Expanding a little OP, in addition to not being optimal, doing a PPL 3 days/week may not actually help strengthen your hips and glutes, but I don't know the nature of your issues.

JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustThatBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Expanding a little OP, in addition to not being optimal, doing a PPL 3 days/week may not actually help strengthen your hips and glutes, but I don't know the nature of your issues.
    After showing him my current workout he mentioned there isn't enough glutes and hamstring exercises so I guess 1 day dedicated to legs would help. For PPL to be efficient how many times do you have to go gym?
    Yours Sincerely

Just That Brah

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JustThatBrah View Post
    For PPL to be efficient how many times do you have to go gym?
    6 days/week
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

OP, if you only want to work out 3 days/week, you could do an Upper/Lower/Full Body setup if you feel that'll let you squeeze in a little more glute/ham work. Personally I think you could also do that with a 3-day full body, but this will give you a dedicated leg day if that's important to you while also hitting muscles 2x/week.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's difficult to give an answer, without more details. Many people on full body, do the big compounds, are focused on strength, and over time will develop lagging parts, such as shoulders.

It's possible that you are quads dominant, and you could use some focus on your hamstrings and glutes. That's actually common, even for people who do squats and deadlift. Their quads want to take over.

But, I don't know if you need to go with a Leg/Push, Pull-- unless your focus is more on ascetic.

I do a 3 workout Leg/Pull/Push split. However I keep it in rotation everyday, and I'm working out 6 days per week, at home and in a gym, so I'm working through all parts 2 times per week. My leg workout is typically leg curls, leg press, back squats, Romanian deadlifts.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What leg exercises were you doing?

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    6 days/week
    Yup. Six days just to hit each muscle group twice per week lol. It’s inefficient compared to UL or even ULPPL imo.

Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    It's difficult to give an answer, without more details. Many people on full body, do the big compounds, are focused on strength, and over time will develop lagging parts, such as shoulders.

It's possible that you are quads dominant, and you could use some focus on your hamstrings and glutes. That's actually common, even for people who do squats and deadlift. Their quads want to take over.

But, I don't know if you need to go with a Leg/Push, Pull-- unless your focus is more on ascetic.

I do a 3 workout Leg/Pull/Push split. However I keep it in rotation everyday, and I'm working out 6 days per week, at home and in a gym, so I'm working through all parts 2 times per week. My leg workout is typically leg curls, leg press, back squats, Romanian deadlifts.
    Yea he mentioned being too quad dominant, so would you say keep the current workout but put more focus on the hamstrings and glutes?
    Yours Sincerely

Just That Brah

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    What leg exercises were you doing?
    Over the 3 workouts,

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calf raises
    Rear kick back
    Leg press
    Yours Sincerely

Just That Brah

Originally Posted by JustThatBrah View Post
    Over the 3 workouts,

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Calf raises
    Rear kick back
    Leg press
    You might want to swap the DLs with RDLs, and maybe swap the rear kickback with a hip thrust or glute bridge - regardless of whether you stick with the 3-day FB or do a different split. Maybe add leg curls somewhere too if you have room.

AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000) AndyLausmax is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    PPL 3 days/week isn't ideal IMO since you're hitting muscle groups only 1x/week, but I assume your physio feels you should only do your lower body 1x/week to allow for more recovery given your issues? If you're happy with your current full body program, you could probably just take it and break it up into a PPL format, with a few tweaks on exercises and volume.
    I agree with this. Ideally, you have to hit each body part at least twice a week for optimum results. A three-day PPL programme won't cut it.

MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AndyLausmax View Post
    I agree with this. Ideally, you have to hit each body part at least twice a week for optimum results. A three-day PPL programme won't cut it.
    I personally disagree

For me training 4 or 5 days a week worked best

IMHO If you recover in 3 days you are not working out hard enough

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MadFury View Post
    I personally disagree

For me training 4 or 5 days a week worked best

IMHO If you recover in 3 days you are not working out hard enough
    I guess it just depends what you consider to be recovery. A growth cycle typically ends at around 3 days, so whatever you’re feeling after this is usually muscle soreness from (probably) junk volume, which has no bearing on hypertrophy and typically dissipates with frequency. And the growth response you triggered probably occurred at a fraction of the volume you ended up completing by the end of the workout, so there is good sense in 2x/wk frequency.

With that said I’ve run bro splits in the past and have gotten good results, but not as good as splitting it up throughout the week. Anyway, as long as you’re seeing results, keep doing what you’re doing.

Registered User nattyjucicer420's Avatar
    nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nattyjucicer420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try doing push pull legs but 6 days a week.