Dmcc89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can I successfully workout with dumbbells alone?

Hey guys,

Wondering if you all can help me with some advice.

Covid has completely frigged everything up for me and my gym has closed until further notice. The closest gym to me is an absolute nightmare to try and use as you have to book via their app (that doesn't work) and you can't stick to a schedule because it's very inconsistent.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to work from home as I can't afford to waste time hoping I can get a gym session booked.

My only issue is: I have a jittery exercise bench and dumbbells that only go up to 12kg (not a big issue right now as I'm a beginner)

My question is: can I effectively work out/lose weight/bulk up etc with only using dumbbells? I've tried to purchase a reasonably priced barbell but everywhere is sold out or so expensive (again, downside of covid) and I don't want to be bogged down with waiting anymore. I've got my diet in check so I'm not too worried about that's.. it's just the equipment that concerns me right now.

Hopefully that makes sense and I can get steered on the right path

Thanks
    Last edited by Dmcc89; 08-02-2020 at 02:40 PM.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Dmcc89 View Post
    Hey guys,

My question is: can I effectively work out/lose weight/bulk up etc with only using dumbbells?
    Absolutely. 12kg won’t get you too far but you can buy more plates for them assuming they are adjustable. Lots of dumbbell exercises out there that cover all the muscles. I would still keep an eye out for a barbell down the road just to open up more variety and a pull-up bar (that fits in doorway) will also be useful.

steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Short answer for sure u can

Dmcc89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    Absolutely. 12kg won’t get you too far but you can buy more plates for them assuming they are adjustable. Lots of dumbbell exercises out there that cover all the muscles. I would still keep an eye out for a barbell down the road just to open up more variety and a pull-up bar (that fits in doorway) will also be useful.
    Yeah absolutely a barbell is a number 1 priority for me at the moment.. maybe a new bench as mine is very wobbly and I don't fancy falling out of it!

My dumbbells are adjustable but to be honest they aren't the greatest and I'll definitely be looking to upgrade whenever I am able to rep with ease on them.

Is a kettle bell worth the investment in your eyes?

Sizzilinzippo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes definitely as long as you are aware of techniques to use the dumbbells there is no need to heavyweights and other equipment to build muscles. Lie faceup with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, and hold a dumbbell with both hands at your chest yo are good to workout with dumbbells alone. there are plenty of techniques on how to work out with dumbbells, you can find them online.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Dmcc89 View Post

Is a kettle bell worth the investment in your eyes?
    I can’t speak for kettlebells as I never used them. For me personally, they seem better suited to a gym than a home gym simply because the gym can have a number of different sizes to choose from. Even with adjustable ones you are probably limited with how much weight you can add.

I know they are better for certain exercises than dumbbells but that is not enough for me to invest in them.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    I can’t speak for kettlebells as I never used them. For me personally, they seem better suited to a gym than a home gym simply because the gym can have a number of different sizes to choose from. Even with adjustable ones you are probably limited with how much weight you can add.

I know they are better for certain exercises than dumbbells but that is not enough for me to invest in them.
    Ironmaster has a kettlebell version that's an option for home.