Thread: Bulk or cut?

Norhang is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bulk or cut?

Hello!

Not sure if I should bulk or cut. I’m partially lean despite lots of heavy lifting. I want to put on more muscle to add more shape as well. I might be answering my own question here. I’m 127 lbs bodyfat calipers day I’m 18% but I look more like 21% or more. Any advice would be appreciated!

Pictures posted in profile.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah you are around 19-20% IMO.

The choice is completely yours here, if you want more muscle and you have been weight lifting for a prolonged period of time then bulking would be the route as you are likely past the recomp level.

If you choose to bulk follow a progressive training program and aim to consume around 90g of protein with a small caloric surplus (around 200 calories above your maintenance TDEE).

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My answer is the same with this question.If you have to ask the question at all, then bulk. Cutting fat is relatively easy, building muscle is harder and takes more time. Use small surplus like above.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Yeah you are around 19-20% IMO.

The choice is completely yours here, if you want more muscle and you have been weight lifting for a prolonged period of time then bulking would be the route as you are likely past the recomp level.

If you choose to bulk follow a progressive training program and aim to consume around 90g of protein with a small caloric surplus (around 200 calories above your maintenance TDEE).

Thank you for the advice! Just to make sure when calculating TDEE does that also include taking into account the calories burned from my workouts? Or should I be looking for a small increase in weight in the scale only? Thanks!

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    My answer is the same with this question.If you have to ask the question at all, then bulk. Cutting fat is relatively easy, building muscle is harder and takes more time. Use small surplus like above.
    Thank you that is so very helpful!

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Norhang View Post
    Thank you for the advice! Just to make sure when calculating TDEE does that also include taking into account the calories burned from my workouts? Or should I be looking for a small increase in weight in the scale only? Thanks!
    Yes it does but remember online calculations of TDEE are just estimates it can't calculate everyone's individual TDEE. That is when tracking your weight changes over a prolonged period of time shows if you are in a caloric surplus or not. If you know a solid estimate for your own maintenance TDEE that makes things easier but if not then this is how to calculate it.

For example:-

https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

According to this online calculator your TDEE is the range of 1800-2000 calories

So start with 1900 calories a day and stick to this for 2-3 weeks monitoring weight every morning in the same conditions (no clothes and after urinating/ toilet)

If after your weight has not changed on a best line of fit then you have your maintenance. You can then add around 200-300 calories to your diet so your bulking calories would be around 2100-2200 and repeat the process.

Aim to add around 1lb a month, if you gain a significant amount more (e.g. around 2lbs) then this over the one month period(best line of fit) then simply reduce calories down a bit 100-200 calories. That is the calories sorted except the fact you may need to increase calories as you go further as more mass and having extra available energy can cause a higher TDEE so some months you may need to go higher then 200-300 calories but let your weight gain decide that.

If you know your personal maintenance TDEE through trail and error then simply add 200-300 calories and skip the steps mentioned above.

For macros its pretty simple:-

Protein = 127lbs X 0.7 = 88.9g so anywhere in range of 90g + would be near enough perfect.
    Fats = 127lb X 0.4 = 50.8g so anywhere above 50g would be fine

Full guide is here:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

The next thing is to follow a balanced decent weight training program you enjoy and progressively increase weights and volume. If you have one already you enjoy and its working carry on, if not many decent ones exist if required.

Last thing is basically patience and getting adequate rest personally I believe a correct bulk should last around 6 months+.

1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) 1stCoachJoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am in general agreement with the consensus answers you've received thus far. The response from Hardyboysare above is the most comprehensive and accurate in my view. Good luck on your continued path!
    '
    Without proper diets and effective meal plans dialed in, you might well be spitting in the wind.