modernspartan7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Teen girl starting stronglifts 5x5

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some general advice on how my lifts are progressing after starting stronglifts about 5 weeks ago.

I am at

Squats - 42.5kg after deloading from 57 due to bad form

Over head press - 25kg

Barbell row - 32.5kg

Bench press - using the chest press machine for safety and am on level 6 with 5lbs added for 10x5 before progressing to level 7 for 5x5 which i struggled with upon trying

Deadlift - 60kg

What should I aim for? I am about 51-52kg at the moment and started off very weak.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Aim to keep progressing until you can’t. Eat well, get enough protein and rest.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by modernspartan7 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted some general advice on how my lifts are progressing after starting stronglifts about 5 weeks ago.

I am at

Squats - 42.5kg after deloading from 57 due to bad form

Over head press - 25kg

Barbell row - 32.5kg

Bench press - using the chest press machine for safety and am on level 6 with 5lbs added for 10x5 before progressing to level 7 for 5x5 which i struggled with upon trying

Deadlift - 60kg

What should I aim for? I am about 51-52kg at the moment and started off very weak.
    Aim for consistency and long-term development. Stick with the training and just ride out small setbacks. You sound clear-headed about it with the way you deloaded squat to improve your form, so that characteristic is a big plus in your favor.

Eat enough food and protein. Calculate your tdee and eat enough good calories to stay healthy and grow. Sleep is the best form of recovery.

Can you do dumbbell bench instead of the machine?
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Aim for consistency and long-term development. Stick with the training and just ride out small setbacks. You sound clear-headed about it with the way you deloaded squat to improve your form, so that characteristic is a big plus in your favor.

Eat enough food and protein. Calculate your tdee and eat enough good calories to stay healthy and grow. Sleep is the best form of recovery.

Can you do dumbbell bench instead of the machine?
    Thanks for the advice. I am also a boxer and so it is hard to manage the training whilst having enough rest but i think i am doing it well. I make sure to eat clean homecooked food so it is very hard to count calories for each individual tomato in a curry for instance...My weight is going up by a good amount each week though so i know i have enough.

I was thinking bulk up to about 54kg and then concentrate on my boxing training trying to preserve the muscle i have built - since when i start college i may not have much time to lift...

Really appreciate the advice..

Also about the dumbells - i could but the largest i have go up to 30lbs which i find too easy for 5x5 - it is hard to track weight on the machine but I figure would it be a good idea to keep building my strength on it until i am confident enough to bench the bar without a spotter and then can gradually add weight.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by modernspartan7 View Post
    Also about the dumbells - i could but the largest i have go up to 30lbs which i find too easy for 5x5 - it is hard to track weight on the machine but I figure would it be a good idea to keep building my strength on it until i am confident enough to bench the bar without a spotter and then can gradually add weight.
    Unless you’re competing in powerlifting, you aren’t missing out on anything using a machine/lever machine for your chest work.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Unless you’re competing in powerlifting, you aren’t missing out on anything using a machine/lever machine for your chest work.
    I'd disagree with that for a couple of reasons. Machines do not move the body in natural arcs. Machines do not work stabilizers nearly as much as free weights. Machines are boring and demotivating. If the machine is all she feels comfortable with for now, that's fine. But she should pick up free weights as soon as possible because any trainee is missing out on a lot by only using machines.
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061