userXX9UGRHXAMS is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not sure how much to eat- special case (Kind of)

Ive posted on here before asking about advice on programs and what I should do to fix the way my body looks. I was told that I needed to gain muscle to look better so I have started lifting. I run at the collegiate level so it has been important that I don't put on too much body fat but also I need to make sure I am fueling enough to run my 7-12 miles a day. I eat all whole foods and a diet very rich in vegetables and fruit. I have been eating around 2300-2500 calories a day with the macros of 340-carbs 160-protein 60-fats. A nutritionist told me I need 3000-4600 calories a day with 500-carbs 190-220-protein and 90-100 fats. I tried eating to 3500 calories and felt incredibly sick the next day. Im not sure if something is wrong with me but when I eat this much I just feel bloated and sick for 2 days. I am 18 5'9 134-135lbs I feel my body fat is fairly low but I have no abs visible so im not sure. This is a picture of me to give an example of how I look and my fat levels.
    Attached Images

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your body fat is low, you just do not have much muscle mass, hence the lack of ab definition. I do not doubt that you need 4000+ calories, you run a lot and lift? That is a lot of activity.

You likely felt bloated and sick since you are not used to eating so much, and food choices can play a part as well. What did you eat to reach those calories? You might need more calorie dense foods, ice cream, peanut butter, fatty cuts of meat, melt some butter on your veggies, cook in oils, ect. to add calories with less food volume.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

userXX9UGRHXAMS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Your body fat is low, you just do not have much muscle mass, hence the lack of ab definition. I do not doubt that you need 4000+ calories, you run a lot and lift? That is a lot of activity.

You likely felt bloated and sick since you are not used to eating so much, and food choices can play a part as well. What did you eat to reach those calories? You might need more calorie dense foods, ice cream, peanut butter, fatty cuts of meat, melt some butter on your veggies, cook in oils, ect. to add calories with less food volume.

yes, I lift for about an hour a day and run at least 7 miles a day.

Typically to reach this many calories my day looks like this:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, fruit, all natural peanutbutter
    Post run: Gatorade endurance formula, banana, protein shake
    Lunch: Egg whites, sweet potatoe, watermelon, cherries, apple
    Pre- lift: Rice cakes with peanut butter and banana
    Post lift: protein shake
    Dinner: chicken breast or salmon, yukon potatoe, spinach, bell pepper, asparagus
    After dinner: bagel with jam and peanut butter, protein bar, banana
    Maybe im eating too clean but im not sure

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by userXX9UGRHXAMS View Post
    yes, I lift for about an hour a day and run at least 7 miles a day.

Typically to reach this many calories my day looks like this:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, fruit, all natural peanutbutter
    Lunch: Egg whites, sweet potatoe, watermelon, cherries, apple
    Pre- lift: Rice cakes with peanut butter and banana
    Post lift: protein shake
    Dinner: chicken breast or salmon, yukon potatoe, spinach, bell pepper, asparagus
    After dinner: bagel with jam and peanut butter, protein bar, banana
    Maybe im eating too clean but im not sure
    Gbullock gave you a great list of foods to start from. He's also right that you look skinny-fat simply because you have such little muscle mass despite being lean. You will almost definitely need 4k + calories per day to gain & you do seem to be eating too much low calorie high volume foods to gain from what you've listed. If anything, you could stand to significantly increase your peanut butter consumption.

Also, if you're lifting for a full hour every single day, you're doing yourself a disservice. You could probably see far better results by actually lifting a bit less and eating more. It's likely too taxing on your body to do such heavy lifting workouts on top of your running. Have you read the stickies? Try out the "Fierce 5" novice routine to get a better idea on how to structure your workouts.

πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸͺ³ snailsrus's Avatar
    snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ditch the egg whites, eat eggs
    Ditch the rice cakes, get granola with nuts you have very little fat in your diet, only peanut butter and salmon
    Switch out all the fruit at lunch to rice or just something more dense full fat yogurt one serving of fruit is fine but 3?
    You need to bulk
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, pay attention to what you're being told. Stop eating foods like you're on a diet, trying to be filling, but low cal. Caloric-dense foods are your friend.

πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸͺ³ snailsrus's Avatar
    snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    OP, pay attention to what you're being told. Stop eating foods like you're on a diet, trying to be filling, but low cal. Caloric-dense foods are your friend.
    ya when I read it I was thinking it was a bikini girls diet

Here’s some easy changes

Breakfast: Oatmeal, dried fruit, all natural peanutbutter
    Lunch: 3 Eggs, beans w/cheese, sweet potato
    Pre- lift: Trailmix 3/4 cup
    Post lift: protein shake not isolate
    Dinner: chicken with skin, beef or salmon use some bbq sauce for carbs, yukon potato with sour cream and bacon bits or ranch or cheese, spinach, bell pepper, asparagus (you do not need 3 servings of veggies) try like green beans and almonds, or more carby veggies like carrots with hummus or corn or cream spinach or peas!!! Peas are great imo fast easy dense
    After dinner: bagel with jam and peanut butter, protein bar this is actually good but you can also swap out the protein bar for full fat Greek yogurt which would give you some calcium and is tasty or some good pudding like cozy shack or milk shake mmmm does this much food before bed affect your sleep?
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    agree with above posters. 3500cals of mostly 'clean foods' would make anyone sick. Far too much volume, too much fibre etc.

Forget clean and eat a variety of stuff you enjoy. Occasionally Fry stuff, eat some dessert, add cheese to things, eat more nuts, have a burger, have a chocolate bar etc. So long as you're still getting your macros and micros it isnt going to damage your gains only help them.

The fact is including calorie dense foods means you have to eat far less food to reach 3500 calories so if you are struggling they are a big help. If you flip the logic around you can see it in the general population. People often gain weight without intending to because it is easier to overeat with a diet of calorie dense foods, which is why most people are overweight. Youre just doing it on purpose and in a controlled way for a good reason

Edit: BTW I am not suggesting you get all or even most of your calories from junk food. I am just saying loosen up a little and maybe include some "non clean" foods to make up the calorie difference if you are struggling