Closed Thread
    FatFast2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Prolonged Water/Salt Fasting experiment (14-40 day)

I'm performing a fasting experiment and would welcome your input on how to improve/optimize the plan.

Background: Fat all my life, hit a high of 331lbs last year, dieted the right way (weighing, counting, tracking, macros) to 273lbs, slowly slipped back in to old habits and am back at 323. I've been reading about prolonged water fasting and would like to try it as an experiment to see what happens, before continuing on 'the right way' which worked last year.

Stats: 5'7", 323lbs, 37 years old. Sedentary af, especially with covid and working from home.

Plan: Extended water fast, with electrolytes added as needed (hoping the body will tell me when there is too much / not enough salt.)

- Plan to track weight loss per day, ketones, body measurements weekly.
    - Refeed meal/half-day when weight loss slows / ketone levels drop. High fat, low carb.

Things I'm considering taking other than water/salt:

- Black coffee
    - Small amount of lemon juice to make the electrolyte water palatable
    - 1-2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    - Experimenting with MCT oil, when I need a brain boost for work, or maybe pre-exercise?
    - Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D (started these a couple months ago and noticed an improvement in energy levels, would like to keep on it).
    - CBD oil (helps with muscle tension better than Robaxacet etc.)

Exercise: I'm a contender for the worlds most sedentary creature title, especially with COVID. I work from home, on the computer, and so move from bed>fridge>computer>toilet>fridge>bed. That has to change obviously.

The plan:

- Bought some powerblocks and a bench, intend on starting a beginners weight routine, maybe AllPro or Starting Strength with dumbbell modification.
    - Have access to a pool to swim laps
    - Bought some decent runners and plan on starting walking.

I figure I'll force myself to do at least one of these things each day. I know I probably won't be able to go hard on a severe cut.

My questions:

- Is tracking weight loss rate / ketone production an accurate way to gauge when a refeed is needed?
    - Would you guys change anything up supplement wise?
    - Recommendations on an easy to understand lifting plan I can do with dumbbells? (leaning towards Starting Strength w/ dumbbell mods)

What else would you modify?

I do intend on providing updates, no matter how good or bad this goes.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know this is a stupid idea right? Why not do something sensible like make sustainable changes right from the start? You'll find this forum doesn't support unhealthy dieting methods and this certainly falls in that realm.

What would I modify? Literally everything. Start with the stickies in the nutrition forum and come up with a realistic lifestyle change. Make a post on what you come up with and maybe you will get some help but this isn't worth commenting on further.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's just so unnecessary, and likely to be a more unhealthy, ineffective, and likely to be a lot of more unpleasant than just controlling calories. I can understand if you're just curious to try this out, but if you really want to get into shape and are serious about it, do it "the right way" like you have in the past and know works.

Calorie control. You won't achieve anything extra by doing this if calories are matched in both strategies.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

FatFast2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    You know this is a stupid idea right?
    Unconventional, yes, but I'm hoping it falls short of stupid. I've been studying the research of Dr. Peter Attia, Dr. Jason Fung, and followed the studies of people who have done this, and seen significant fat losses with no health repercussions. From what I can understand, an obese persons body has plenty of energy stores to use, it just seems to be a matter of not completely tanking ones metabolism, for which fasting / intermittent fasting seems to be better, according to the work of those doctors anyways.

Why not do something sensible like make sustainable changes right from the start?
    That's the plan, I did it last year and it worked, and I intend on going back to it after this experiment. This experiment is just that, an experiment. I personally find it easier to go without, than to eat a very small portion

You'll find this forum doesn't support unhealthy dieting methods and this certainly falls in that realm.
    I've seen fasting discussed here before. My intention isn't to do this as a long-term 'fix' for an unhealthy lifestyle, it's just an experiment, to kick off getting back on the track I was on last year. I'm trying to do it in the healthiest way possible, and medically supervised fasts have been used with good success in morbidly obese people before.

I forgot to mention, I am reaching out to my doctor in an attempt to get this fast medically supervised as well, but with the COVID, it's not as easy to pull off doctor visits and regular bloodwork as it would have been a year ago.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Terrible, terrible plan.

Any "fat loss method" which is as utterly unsustainable as this is not going to "fix" your problems nor will it address/correct the underlying issues that you have with overeating.

Literally the only way you are going to lose the fat AND keep it off is through a plan that is both sustainable as well as one that will help you relearn how to eat because if you don't develop better habits regarding both food choices as well as proper portion sizing then you are almost certain to gain back any fat you may lose (as you have already done in the past).
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FatFast2020 View Post
    I forgot to mention, I am reaching out to my doctor in an attempt to get this fast medically supervised as well, but with the COVID, it's not as easy to pull off doctor visits and regular bloodwork as it would have been a year ago.
    "I should get medical supervision but I can't so I won't."
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FatFast2020 View Post
    Unconventional, yes, but I'm hoping it falls short of stupid. I've been studying the research of Dr. Peter Attia, Dr. Jason Fung, and followed the studies of people who have done this, and seen significant fat losses with no health repercussions. From what I can understand, an obese persons body has plenty of energy stores to use, it just seems to be a matter of not completely tanking ones metabolism, for which fasting / intermittent fasting seems to be better, according to the work of those doctors anyways.

That's the plan, I did it last year and it worked, and I intend on going back to it after this experiment. This experiment is just that, an experiment. I personally find it easier to go without, than to eat a very small portion

I've seen fasting discussed here before. My intention isn't to do this as a long-term 'fix' for an unhealthy lifestyle, it's just an experiment, to kick off getting back on the track I was on last year. I'm trying to do it in the healthiest way possible, and medically supervised fasts have been used with good success in morbidly obese people before.

you don’t need a doctor for a bmp or CBC panel lab work. Order online and go to quest.

Your plan will end you in the hospital by the time your body is telling you, you need salt you’re already too dehydrated to be healthy and your potassium will be out of wack

Eat less food if you want fat loss
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000) XinXom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bad experiment I have a better one for you to do. Walk 3+ hours everyday for those 14-40 days and eat 2000 calories. Walking around in a circle watching youtube on your ipad is fine you can even watch videos of other dumb people fasting if you want. At your size walking that much will see you drop about the same amount as your plan maybe more and instead of developing an unhealthy habit you fix the core issues you have and form a healthy one instead. At over 300 pounds walking 10 miles burns about 1500 calories. Why starve yourself for weeks when you could just move instead?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    We don't advocate extreme or unhealthy diets on this forum.

If you are obese, I suggest reading Lyle McDonalds rapid fatloss handbook - this method (PSMF) is the limit of what you should do, anything more is not sensible and we won't offer you any advice regarding such practices.