Grahamjbob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting back a new journey

I was on here back in like 2012 maybe, when I weighed 320lbs. I lost a lot of weight thanks to people helping me, and I got into the military and got down to like 230lbs. After leaving the Army my life has spiraled and now I am 412lbs. I find myself not even able to keep up with my 4 year old child during playtime and its majorly depressing me to the point of not even caring anymore. Two days ago I made the decision to start back and lose the weight. I had a quick 1.5-2 mile walk in the morning yesterday. For foods I ate a yogurt for breakfast, Tuna sandwhich and low fat chips for lunch, Chicken tender salad for dinner and some popcorn for snack at night. Today I did the same 7am walk, 2 greek 80cal cups of yogurt for breakfast. Tuna sandwhich and chips again for lunch, Dinner will be grilled chicken, rice and veggies.

Overall I know this is a MAJOR calorie cut from what I used to have. I think my calories for yesterday were about 1500 total for the day. Today I am at 940 calories after lunch, and probably about 1800-1900 after dinner/snack I imagine. I will be posting pictures once I feel confident enough to do so, and I will continue to update this thread with my current weight incase anyone wants to offer motivation or just words of wisdom. I don't need anyone to tell me how fat and worthless I am, trust me I know I have made terrible choices in life, so please try to keep it positive.

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i feel like 1500-1800 isn't very sustainable for you long-term... personally i'd aim for 2500+ and then lower calories as time goes on

good job though, but just saying you might need a more sustainable plan in the future
    iifym crew

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Losing weight, especially going from morbidly obese to fit, requires a lot of hard work and dedication to that goal. Even more importantly, failing to understand that the process is a permanent change in lifestyle and not a "diet plan" with an end point is critical in keeping the fat off permanently. Trying to rush through the process is a serious mistake.

Failing to understand either of those points will ultimately lead to failure in either losing the fat or in keeping it off long term.

You have to be willing to learn how to weight/measure and log literally everything that goes into your mouth in order to re-learn concepts like "proper portion size", "Macro nutrient values", and calorie amounts for what you are eating each day and understand that while no food is essentially "forbidden" that there are some foods which are a lot better for you to eat than others.

Becoming more active is also critical in re-training yourself into becoming a healthier, leaner person. Walking more is a good start however you will also need to find ways to stress whatever muscle that you do have under the fat in order to cause your body to prioritize pulling calories from your fat stores while in a prolonged calorie deficit rather than breaking down lean mass. Weight training is optimal for this, however if you do not currently have access to weights or a gym, even a calisthenic program of body weight exercises (Squats, pushups, Etc.) is better than doing nothing at all to stress your body. Running or other high impact forms of cardio should not be attempted until you are closer to the 200 pound level as at your weight you can cause permanent damage to your joints from attempting those exercises.

Understand that at your body fat levels, this process when done right will likely take years and that even after the fat is gone that if you want to keep from simply re-gaining is all back again that you will still have to continue with many of the habits and eating patterns that you developed to lose the fat for the rest of your life.

Rather than trying to go from what was likely 4000+ calories/day to less than 2000, instead try eating at 2700-3000 cal/day for the first several months and work towards dialing in your TDEE and macro nutrient intake over that time. Even at that level you should still be able to lose roughly 2 pounds per week.

And if you are tracking your calories accurately and eating at an actual 2700-3000 per day then you will not likely need to reduce your calorie intake further until you are closer to the 200-250 pound range.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Just an update: I have now lost 43lbs so far and going strong!

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Grahamjbob View Post
    Awesome to hear man, great job.

Keep it up. Have you started incorporating lifting into your habits?
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Grahamjbob View Post
    Amazing job, keep it up! How did it feel?

Update: 50lbs lost milestone reached!

wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wilkinkc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thats awesome man, keep up the good work