mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Back in it after 8 years, have some questions

Hey y'all! Man, this brings back memories. Was an avid forum member back in 2007-2013 when I was 18-23 yrs old looking to really take my nutrition and weight lifting serious. Had a horrible leg accident and I lost my focus / was unable to workout for 3 years. After that was up, my pain and PTSD prevented me from getting back into it.

Happy to say one grateful thing about Covid is that I was able to take serious and slow time to prep to get back on the weights. Now being 31 yrs old, I have a lot of questions I'm asking myself bc I'm no longer a young guy in college that could just lift and eat whatever you want to find massive gains.

That being said, was curious if I could lean on the community regarding some top questions I'm trying to answer. Today was Day 3 back on the weights, I'm going light and higher reps in the sets / supersetting a 4th on both muscle groups I targeted that day. Feels amazing. For now, doing the classic Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, Legs/Abs/Traps. Might look to start a 4th arm day in a couple weeks if I can handle it. If anything, my arms are still able to take a pounding and get past DOMS within 24-36 hours.

Anyways, questions on nutrition for a 31 yr old male, weighing in at 183 lbs at the moment. Not sure on body fat, but I've lost a lot of weight as I still watched what I ate, etc. Was 197 in February before Covid hit.

My goals are to gain lean muscle and strength. Not looking to bulk / cut like I did back the day. Have held onto some of those real gains I did make, but life is different for me now and not trying to push up the big weight for my ego.

1. What should my macro count be? Was starting at the 40/30/30 split with protein at 40%. Any advice here would be great. I seem to always get more fats in and less carbs due to the fact I love almonds and avacadoes.
    + Carbs also always make me bloated and tired. Not like I can't move, just feels like I'd like to lay down and watch Ozark on Netflix.

2. I'm an early AM guy. Like to workout and refuel all day. Struggling to figure out what to eat prior to my pre-workout supplement (Transparent Labs Bulk - I love the testosterone boosting formula and it gives me great focus without the jitters). Today I took a scoop of Naked Pea Protein + 8oz 2% milk, a cup of Greek yogurt with blueberries, and pre 75 min after. Seemed to be good, but as mentioned I do like the empty stomach feeling when I lift.
    + What would you suggest to ensure I don't eat muscle fibers if I lift straight on pre?

3. Post workout glucose needs. I always bring a banana and drink two scoops of the Naked Pea Protein + BCAAs (5g on 2:1:1)
    + Was looking at Jyms Carb supplement, but would it just be as good to stick with the banana? Or would you suggest both, or kick the banana and get Jyms Carb supp?

4. Lastly, how many calories should I shoot for? Been eying 2850 a day, but still just seems tough to do (as always). Used to eat 4500 a day and find it odd I'm struggling to get 2850.

PS - I am cutting back heavily on red meat, so not eating a steak or burger a day. This is what is making it hard. Eating Tuna and other fish, so I can see how the calories are harder to hit as I was crushing lean steaks and burgers alot back in the early 20s.

PSS - Looking at Naked's One & One grass fed whey protein + sweet potatoe formula for the possible AM. If anyone can chime in here on if that'd be better than a meal to keep me less bloated, was thinking that logic.

PSSS - was reading about Jyms pre and post supplements. Reviews are nuts. I am taking Naked's BCAAs which I enjoy. Wondering if itd help to make a switch if y'all suggest doing Jyms Carb supp?

Whew, that was a ramble Thanks for any help and attention.. Had to even create a new username because I don't have the Yahoo address I used back in the day. Feels great to be back, thanks for any help and stay safe out there.
    Last edited by mpg5068; 07-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Welcome back to it.

1. No need to use macro ratios, it just makes meal planning harder. Good idea to control total calories - but within that all you need is to hit (or exceed) minimum levels of protein (about 150g) and fat (about 70g). Carb level is a matter of choice - do what makes you feel best.

2. You can train fasted. I do at 11am and it's fine. As long as you eat soon after there will be no real difference in results. If you feel you must have something, a banana about half an hour before is fine.

3. No need to specifically time carbs. Protein is more sensitive to timing - and I would say spread out your protein intake to 3 or 4 feedings per day but everything else, the timing doesn't really matter (intraday)

4. Seems reasonable. By the way, you might have to at least have a bias towards either fat loss (lower calories) or muscle gain (at most 200 cals over maintenance). No need to dirty bulk and then cut.

Red meat is fine in moderate amounts. Chicken and turkey could be viable alternatives. Even pork loin is actually pretty lean (not that you can't fatty meat).

Honestly don't give much thought to supplements, they make almost no difference. Creatine is a no brainer. Protein powder to make up your daily needs if required. Vit.D if you don't get much sun. Fish oil if you don't get oily fish. That's it apart from maybe tactical caffeine.

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seems like you might be overthinking things a tad, especially after a long absence from lifting. I suggest first you go read the stickies in the nutrition section. All of your questions regarding macros, protein intake, etc. will be answered there.

As far as your workout you haven't listed any stats on your current lifts. That will be helpful for others to chime in on your workout. Personally if you have regressed significantly, I might first consider jumping back into a full body program at least for a couple months to recondition before moving to a split. I think you will find the quickest route to recovering what you lost by doing that.

All in all, K.I.S.S. There's no reason to get caught in your own over-analysis. Eat good nutritious food, watch the scale and adjust calories to move in the desired direction. If you're consuming enough protein already I wouldn't worry about a shake too much. Maybe a pre-workout since you get up and lift first thing, but again, it isn't completely necessary.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Welcome back to it.

1. No need to use macro ratios, it just makes meal planning harder. Good idea to control total calories - but within that all you need is to hit (or exceed) minimum levels of protein (about 150g) and fat (about 70g). Carb level is a matter of choice - do what makes you feel best.

2. You can train fasted. I do at 11am and it's fine. As long as you eat soon after there will be no real difference in results. If you feel you must have something, a banana about half an hour before is fine.

3. No need to specifically time carbs. Protein is more sensitive to timing - and I would say spread out your protein intake to 3 or 4 feedings per day but everything else, the timing doesn't really matter (intraday)

4. Seems reasonable. By the way, you might have to at least have a bias towards either fat loss (lower calories) or muscle gain (at most 200 cals over maintenance). No need to dirty bulk and then cut.

Red meat is fine in moderate amounts. Chicken and turkey could be viable alternatives. Even pork loin is actually pretty lean (not that you can't fatty meat).

Honestly don't give much thought to supplements, they make almost no difference. Creatine is a no brainer. Protein powder to make up your daily needs if required. Vit.D if you don't get much sun. Fish oil if you don't get oily fish. That's it apart from maybe tactical caffeine.
    This ^ forget a lot of what you learned from bioscience back in the day. Most of it is completely unnecessary. Most importantly (again for emphasis):

1) you do not NEED to eat pre workout if you don't want to. You will not go 'catabolic'

2) you do not NEED to eat post workout if you don't want to. If you do it can be whatever you want. No need for specific macros, types of carbs etc.

3) supplements tend to make little difference. Pre workout may give you a boost but you might as well have a strong coffee (caffeine is the only supplemented substance besides creatine proven to improve performance in workouts, which is why most pre workout uses it as its main ingredient along with other herbal stimulants).

4) macro ratios are completely mythical. Minimum quantities on protein, fats and a good dose of micros are all that matter, fill the rest with whatever makes YOU happy/perform best

mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpg5068 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Welcome back to it.

THANK YOU, mate! This is very helpful. Totally do feel like I am overthinking it due to where I was at one point and havnt been in the game for so long.

The meal before a workout in the morning always gets me. I train amazing on an empty stomach, preworkout like Transparent Labs, then a shake/BCAAs/banana afterwards. Always just let some people get in my head on that Im "eating at my muscle fibers" lifting empty.

Carb people always get in my head as well on I have to have it. I prefer fats like those almonds/avocados/pure cacao, etc. Carbs feel fine after my post-workout shake, and for dinner, but in the morning they mess with me and later in the night I hate the idea of doing them. This really, really helped. Ill focus on the protein and fats as you said, because I truly enjoy them and feel better overall.

Great point on deciding b/w muscle gain or fat loss. I am happy where I am at on the fat scale, and prefer to get the muscle back as such, then go from there. I forgot to mention I play tennis 3-4 times a week and some hard singles matches. Burn minimum of 700+ when it goes the distance.

Seriously, thanks again. Be safe and stay healthy.

Originally Posted by cljolley View Post
    Seems like you might be overthinking things a tad, especially after a long absence from lifting. I suggest first you go read the stickies in the nutrition section. All of your questions regarding macros, protein intake, etc. will be answered there.

As far as your workout you haven't listed any stats on your current lifts. That will be helpful for others to chime in on your workout. Personally if you have regressed significantly, I might first consider jumping back into a full body program at least for a couple months to recondition before moving to a split. I think you will find the quickest route to recovering what you lost by doing that.

All in all, K.I.S.S. There's no reason to get caught in your own over-analysis. Eat good nutritious food, watch the scale and adjust calories to move in the desired direction. If you're consuming enough protein already I wouldn't worry about a shake too much. Maybe a pre-workout since you get up and lift first thing, but again, it isn't completely necessary.
    You hit the nail on the head. I was a big over analyzer when I got to 220 on 5% body fat at 20 yrs old. Just feels weird to go in now and not be able to do anything close to what I did. I am noticing ill be getting the rookie gains again, so its a pleasant surprise.

Thank you for reiterating the morning meal. I like to be in the gym at 730am latest and love the pre-workout Im on now. No jitters at all and if I do the small meal beforehand it always pushes me into 8am+.

Current stats right now on Day 3 after such a long hiatus I will spare. I really am just focusing on form and using the 20s-30s for arms. 45-60s for chest/back. Ill report back after 3 weeks when I can start seeing that difference on being able to pick up the heavier things. That being said, Chest/Back are 1st exercise 4 sets - 12 reps twice on lighter weight, 8 reps twice on heavier weight. From there its been the following 3 sets (last supersetted with tris or bis) x 8 reps.

Good point on going full body. What would you suggest I lay out? Cant do some of the things like deadlifts because of my leg, but I never really went for full body workouts even when I was starting at 18 (I know, big mistake, but got through it over time).

Right now Im on a Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, Legs/Abs, OFF, Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, Legs/Abs. Legs have been mostly bodyweight or holding lighter dumbells on squats and lunges. The leg injury really gives me mental PTSD to try to go heavier, so just conditioning and also making sure I can walk to play my tennis games 3-4 times a week.

THANK YOU as well. Really appreciate the input. Great to come here and find I am overthinking it. Missed this community so much, everyone out there is just so knitpicky. I will say I was anal about all of that back in the day. Thought "if I dont consume my protein shake 30 min after my workout it was useless to do." Haha, that type of thinking. Young and dumb.

Stay safe and be well. Thanks again.
    Last edited by mpg5068; 07-30-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    This ^ forget a lot of what you learned from bioscience back in the day. Most of it is completely unnecessary. Most importantly (again for emphasis):

1) you do not NEED to eat pre workout if you don't want to. You will not go 'catabolic'

2) you do not NEED to eat post workout if you don't want to. If you do it can be whatever you want. No need for specific macros, types of carbs etc.

3) supplements tend to make little difference. Pre workout may give you a boost but you might as well have a strong coffee (caffeine is the only supplemented substance besides creatine proven to improve performance in workouts, which is why most pre workout uses it as its main ingredient along with other herbal stimulants).

4) macro ratios are completely mythical. Minimum quantities on protein, fats and a good dose of micros are all that matter, fill the rest with whatever makes YOU happy/perform best
    THANK YOU as well, mate. Great to hear 3 times in a row I am overthinking it. Back in 2007 it was all about the macros, supps, etc or you wouldnt get results. Haha little how we were wrong.

Also, I love my pre supp and will decide to just go in fasted on that in the AM after yall Gents great feedback. I enjoy it and have great workouts when I do. In fact, I sometimes have worst workouts when I do a small meal, wait 75 min, then take it and hit the gym later. Just get in my head alot with the "fasted means youll eat all your muscle fibers for energy" crap. Really needed to hear this.

Also, thanks for reiterating my over analyzing macros and post workout supps. I do love my Naked BCAAs and Pea Protein + a banana. Just seen so many reviews on Jym it got me remembering the vast amount of supps I took back in the day. At 31, I was a bit weary on this especially bc I dont have the same goals.

Do you have any suggestion on Naked's One & One? I solely use Pea Protein from them and love it, but did want to get at least some whey in there. Also loved the carbs, was thinking this would be my post workout shake with the banana as the sweet potato in their is complex. I like my Pea Protein sometimes in the AM if I dont get in the gym immediately, and definitely before bed. the Amino Acid profile really stands out for me and I do like the taste. Feels pure and no bloating whatsoever.

I cant post a link since I have a new account, but if you have time to google Naked Nutrition's "sweet-potato-grass-fed-whey-protein" - id really love your thoughts on this. Then itd be that post workout (maybe sometimes morning shakes on rare days I cant get in by 7am) and Pea Protein once between post workout meal / dinner and before bed.

Thank you again. Be safe, stay healthy - really appreciate your time and help.
    Last edited by mpg5068; 07-30-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Forgot to mention I am 6ft tall. Big detail, especially mentioning I am 183 lbs. Thanks again, fellas!

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No problem man, feel like at some point in their lives everyone was a little bogged down in meaningless details before the enlightenment kicked in. Used to be on a strict 6 meals a day a long time ago (only complex carbs of course and chicken breast) with all kinds of expensive supps I didn't need, cottage cheese before bed etc. Then this forum filled my head with real knowledge and I ditched literally everything I thought I had to be doing and have far better results with 0.001% of the stress, only focusing on the things that matter.

With protein supplements I only tend to use them during a cut as a little extra protein boost for fewer calories. I generally stick with whey. However for me the main criteria is taste and cost so if you've found one you like that is reasonably priced just stick with it. Sweet potato sounds interesting however I see no reason to get carbs from powder supps, I just eat some carbs. There is essentially no difference in how 'effective' they all are as all they are doing is adding to your protein number. Any other 'effects' they claim to have are negligent and best ignored.