Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to do when finished cutting

I'm skinnyfat, 5'9 and 78kg (down 10kg/22lbs) and conflicted on what to do once I get back to the gym at the end of August. I've been lifting heavy and nothing but heavy from Jan-March(lockdown), but didn't know about nutrition, so I was just permabulking and probably lucky to get 60g of protein in a day. I see a lot of people saying that once you've cut the 'fat' from skinnyfat, go straight into lifting heavy - but I've already done that for a few months, albeit with the wrong nutrition. I'm not stick-thin but I'm still 'skinny' in photos and the like, and it drives me nuts and makes me feel devalued as a guy. I'd like to just jump straight into the hypertrophy workouts to pack on what I can, but I get conflicting answers saying you should lift heavy instead. What's the best way to go?
    5'9 180lbs/82k

Bench - 70kg/154lb

Squat - 105kg/231lb

Deadlift - 145kg/320lb

Iamlagging2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Matt11222 View Post
    I'm skinnyfat, 5'9 and 78kg (down 10kg/22lbs) and conflicted on what to do once I get back to the gym at the end of August. I've been lifting heavy and nothing but heavy from Jan-March(lockdown), but didn't know about nutrition, so I was just permabulking and probably lucky to get 60g of protein in a day. I see a lot of people saying that once you've cut the 'fat' from skinnyfat, go straight into lifting heavy - but I've already done that for a few months, albeit with the wrong nutrition. I'm not stick-thin but I'm still 'skinny' in photos and the like, and it drives me nuts and makes me feel devalued as a guy. I'd like to just jump straight into the hypertrophy workouts to pack on what I can, but I get conflicting answers saying you should lift heavy instead. What's the best way to go?
    once your done cutting, go into a bulk. and also hypertrophy does not necessarily mean low weights high reps, it is more like medium/high(8-12) reps and a weight(75-85% of 1RM) that is challenging enough to make your muscles grow at those rep ranges, make sense? also incorporate heavy sets of compound exercises at the beginning of your workouts and move into more accessory work after.

Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt11222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Iamlagging2 View Post
    once your done cutting, go into a bulk. and also hypertrophy does not necessarily mean low weights high reps, it is more like medium/high(8-12) reps and a weight(75-85% of 1RM) that is challenging enough to make your muscles grow at those rep ranges, make sense? also incorporate heavy sets of compound exercises at the beginning of your workouts and move into more accessory work after.
    ye, I know the whole RM% and rep ranges(I'll probably go for 8 reps to incorporate strength too), but I mean more in that 8-12 rep range for the beginning compounds, since they're the big lifts that shape your body the most. I'd like to see my chest grow(got that noob chest that isn't fully filled out), as well as my erectors/back from DL's, so my question is just do I stay in the 3-5(strength) rep range for my compounds(even if I want to do hypertrophy work and see more growth), or do I move on to that 8-12 range? I was thinking about doing a split of 2 weeks strength, 2 weeks hypertrophy or something along those lines, but I'm not sure how feasible it is
    5'9 180lbs/82k

Bench - 70kg/154lb

Squat - 105kg/231lb

Deadlift - 145kg/320lb

skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skymech94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You dont have to bulk or cut, just eat slightly above your maintenance and eat between 100-200 g of protein each day. You dont have to be fat(bulk) to get muscle. Just go slow and pack muscle slowly. Dont go crazy on calories unless you want to powerlift.
    My best lifts so far, going to edit as i progress.

ATG Squat with pause
    315x1
    Front squat ATG
    265x2
    Bench Press
    205x5
    Deadlift 405x2

You can follow me on this log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168081103&p=1375070453#post1375070453
    Instagram: yuriysergeevmech

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Firstly, if you haven't already, go into the nutrition section and read the stickies. There is a wealth of knowledge condensed in those handful of pages.

Second, you're still a beginner. Don't get so focused on rep ranges, RM, etc... Just get on a good structured program and be consistent. I always recommend the AllPro Beginner Workout. Nightanole usually recommends it be started on a modest cut for the first cycle and then reevaluate and decide if you want to slow bulk or continue to cut.

The program is simple, easy to follow, and in my opinion very rewarding and enjoyable.

Don't worry so much about your appearance right now. You should be more focused on progressing with your lifts, and the growth will follow.

allthevitamins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Matt11222 View Post
    78kg is 172 pounds for those who appreciate the conversion. Okay cool, so you got a bit of training time and you pin pointed your main issue, which was diet. Low protein intake while also overeating calories. The most urgent and beneficial thing is to take care of your diet. The quality of each thing you are eating and how much "bad" food you will allow yourself. Use an app like cronometer.com to figure out your estimated intakes using the food base and measurements, which can be approximations. Try to find foods that help you fill out all your micros and macros. At your weight, let's say you're going for a high protein intake that is adequate even in a deficit, like let's say you were in a deficit for a day or two and this is the amount you wanna eat to not lose gains you feel me. So let's say you're eating a ballin' 200g a day, easy math. If you're still skinny fat, it means you have fat to burn and muscle to build. You know you can do both at the same time, and honestly, you can still do that with your amount of experience. By the way, your sig lifts are great for your time lifting. Especially the deadlift and squat man. Good ****. Looks like you made solid gains with a ****ty diet. Really if you don't want to go the math and calories route, try 4 to 6 meals a day with 25 to 45g of protein per meal. More protein per meal if less meals per day. Less protein per meal if more protein per day. If you use whey or any kind of powder, you can easily eat regular "healthy" meals with a moderate amount of protein in them, and drink a half shake on the side to make a meal more high protein. Just figure out how you'd personally prefer to include high protein foods in your meals. I used to use greek yogurt as sour cream and eat reduced fat cheese and adding cans of fish to meals, or adding whey to yogurt or oatmeal, things like that, whatever you like. Egg whites mixed with whole egg scrambles, etc. Just get that **** sorted out homie. Try to develop a solid feel of how much you need to eat and how your digestion feels and just eat more when sore or working out or when you need to do more **** and maintain high protein and less cals when chilling at home watching TV, that type of thing. That's if you want to go the feel route. Could just use an app for a month or two to see how you can improve and that's gonna be amazing for your future dieting by feel. You're basically gonna have to do both hypertrophy and strength work. It's different, but for real you just can't have one without the other. If your strength improves thru hypertrophy work, but you wanna just be doing hypertrophy work, your weights you use for your hypertrophy sets will be heavier and then you're gonna make strength gains, and so on. At least for a while. Just do both and try to remember your work outs and improve them. With either a log or a general memory of where you're at for sets and reps for different lifts and then go in and try to improve in some way. really, where you're at right now, it sounds like you need to improve your diet to serve you properly. Maybe you also want to have treats. Try to figure out how to have treats and now have them **** your whole diet plan and cals up. Good things to consider: many many types of low cal cooking oils and dressings or sauces or salsas, lower cal high protein bread, protein powder, food swaps like using more egg whites in scrambles, making desserts like flavored whey with yogurt (good taste, junk food like but great macros and healthy and satisfies sweet tooth), lower calorie protein bars, finding a way to flavor chicken breast and like it (lol), low cal beverages of any kind (diet energy drinks, teas, flavored water, diet soda, etc). You're basically going to continue growing no matter what you focus on, for a while more. Just make sure you're maximizing your body's response to your hard efforts. Really take good care of your health for a while and improve all the aspects of it in any way you can. Honestly, with a great diet, you could at least get lean and somewhat muscular while half-assing your work outs. Of course I'd recommend paying honor to you busting ass permabulking by treating yourself to a dank high protein nutritious balanced diet, boss.