Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ah ok. I wasn’t sure if it was a more serious injury. I’m a fan of doing banded shoulder workout for a warmup. I’ve noticed how much it helps.
    My “training log”
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178659261

Here to stay motivated and to motivate others

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    2ct paused squat 5 x 3 @8:
    - 120: 3,3,3
    - 117:3,3

Competition bench
    - 6 x 4 x 82

Feet up bench 3 x 4 @8:
    - 80:4
    - 77:4,4

Competition deadlift:
    - 3 x 5 x 125

Pullups: 1 set only due to shoulder issue getting in the way...

Annoying about the shoulder but bench wasn't affected as long as my groove was spot on.
    I think I'm getting better at judging RPEs too

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work on the paused squats. I’m sure you were feeling a nice burn on the last set. That takes mental fortitude!!
    My “training log”

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Raigs View Post
    Nice work on the paused squats. I’m sure you were feeling a nice burn on the last set. That takes mental fortitude!!
    Thanks, there were plenty of those "will it go back up again" moments...

2ct paused deadlift: 5 x 3 @8: 137.5kg -- improving fast...

touch and go bench: 3 x 12 @10:
    - 12 x 75kg
    - 12 x 72.5kg
    - 11 x 70kg

close grip incline bench: 4 x 7:
    - 4 x 7 x 50kg -- felt better form than last time - if anything the sets got easier after the first one

land mine one arm row: 6 x 10:
    - 2 x 10 x 32.5kg
    - 4 x 10 x 35kg

Competition squat:
    - 5 x 2 x 132.5kg
    - 2 x 4 x 112.5kg -- Looking forward to using E1RMs ... I think I've pitched my squat max a little too low

Competition bench:
    - 5 x 2 x 97.5kg
    - 2 x 4 x 80kg

Stiff leg deadlift: 4 x 8 x 115kg

Side plank (seconds): 45, 40, 35, 30 -- hardest exercise of the day lol, I was just begging for them to be over 8)
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 08-24-2020 at 11:19 AM.

My shoulder bothered me in bed last night... I am starting to suspect that my anterior delt is really not happy about benching to chest... I don't know if I can expect to adapt to this. I was doing a guillotine style press before only using the pecs (straight line stopping at the limit of pectoral movement with bar above the clavicles - not J shaped curve). I wonder if I should switch back to this - I know it won't be competition legal but I am never going to compete...

The question is should I persist and see if I adapt to benching-to-chest or will this risk accumulating damage...? My actual numbers are about the same for guillotine press vs. competition bench.

I don't want to abandon the program

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    My shoulder bothered me in bed last night... I am starting to suspect that my anterior delt is really not happy about benching to chest... I don't know if I can expect to adapt to this. I was doing a guillotine style press before only using the pecs (straight line stopping at the limit of pectoral movement with bar above the clavicles - not J shaped curve). I wonder if I should switch back to this - I know it won't be competition legal but I am never going to compete...

The question is should I persist and see if I adapt to benching-to-chest or will this risk accumulating damage...? My actual numbers are about the same for guillotine press vs. competition bench.

I don't want to abandon the program
    I'd say you're not abandoning the program if you change one lift for health reasons. If guillotine press gave you no problems before, then it could be best to switch back to that. It's still a bench press, no worries there. If your shoulder has gotten progressively worse since you started, then I'd guess it will continue getting worse with bench-to-chest, as bench volume remains high until weeks 7 & 8.

What's the issue with your shoulder? Does guillotine not bother it at all?
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    I'd say you're not abandoning the program if you change one lift for health reasons. If guillotine press gave you no problems before, then it could be best to switch back to that. It's still a bench press, no worries there. If your shoulder has gotten progressively worse since you started, then I'd guess it will continue getting worse with bench-to-chest, as bench volume remains high until weeks 7 & 8.

What's the issue with your shoulder? Does guillotine not bother it at all?
    No it's fine, I was doing it for a long time on my previous BB style routine - then trained shoulders separately with OHP and laterals etc.

When the bar gets close to the chest, my left anterior delt just feels 'crunchy' - sometimes it warms up to the point where the movement becomes relatively smooth but other times, it's always there slightly inhibiting a good bar path.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No it's fine, I was doing it for a long time on my previous BB style routine - then trained shoulders separately with OHP and laterals etc.

When the bar gets close to the chest, my left anterior delt just feels 'crunchy' - sometimes it warms up to the point where the movement becomes relatively smooth but other times, it's always there slightly inhibiting a good bar path.
    "Crunchy" sounds like tight tendons. Massage would help to loosen things up.

If guill. press fits your goals and if it's a reasonable accommodation you have to make, then it might be the best choice health-wise. Really not much different than deciding between low bar or high bar, sumo or conv. Unless you really want to do a competition legal bench.

What about your pre-hab or shoulder warmup?
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

Ok, thanks, that's encouraging. I think I shall switch to guillotine press. I just think my shoulder doesn't have the range of movement to bench to chest without issues. Maybe I'll try working on flexibility longer term - but if I just don't have the geometry for it without risking an impingement or something then it may have to be a permanent switch.

From this point on bench press == guillotine press which is the same setup but the path is straight down above the clavicle, as low as the pec ROM will allow. I'm forced to do this by problems in my anterior delts ...

Competition deadlift:
    - 5 x 2 x 160kg - still feels fast but the weight is starting to get significant
    - 2 x 4 x 132.5kg

2 count paused bench: 3 x 3 @8
    - 2 x 3 x 90kg
    - 1 x 3 x 87.5kg -- this is easier paused than conventional ... no complaints from shoulder at all.

Competition squat: 2 x 5 x 110kg

Seated band wide rows: 4 x 10 x Green

Stupid anterior delts! What do you do to fix that issues?

Also strong dead’s and squats!! At 160kg for reps and they feel fast. Ain’t no stopping you
    My “training log”

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    From this point on bench press == guillotine press which is the same setup but the path is straight down above the clavicle, as low as the pec ROM will allow. I'm forced to do this by problems in my anterior delts ...

Competition deadlift:
    - 5 x 2 x 160kg - still feels fast but the weight is starting to get significant
    - 2 x 4 x 132.5kg

2 count paused bench: 3 x 3 @8
    - 2 x 3 x 90kg
    - 1 x 3 x 87.5kg -- this is easier paused than conventional ... no complaints from shoulder at all.

Competition squat: 2 x 5 x 110kg

Seated band wide rows: 4 x 10 x Green
    whatever works man, gotta work around stuff
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

2ct pause squat: 4 x 5 @9: 4 x 5 x 117.5kg

bench: 6 x 3 x 85 -- I'm slightly exaggerating the pause because there is no doubt that this is easier than full competition bench...

feet up bench: 4 x 3 @8:
    - 3 x 85 - I didn't expect this to be much harder than with back arched but it was...
    - 2 x 3 x 82.5
    - 3 x 80

Deadlift: 2 x 5 x 132.5kg

Pullups: 4 x 8 @8:
    - BW: 8, 8, 7, 6 -- can do these without pain now. My numbers have suffered a little though...

2 count pause deadlift: 4 x 5 @8:
    - 2 x 5 x 132.5kg
    - 2 x 5 x 130kg -- exhausting!

touch and go bench: 4 x 7 @8:
    - 2 x 7 x 85
    - 2 x 7 x 82.5

close grip incline bench: 5 x 6
    - 3 x 6 x 55kg
    - 2 x 6 x 52.5kg

one hand landmine row: 6 x 8
    - 3 x 8 x 40kg
    - 3 x 8 x 37.5kg

2 count pause deadlift: 4 x 5 @8:
    - 2 x 5 x 132.5kg
    - 2 x 5 x 130kg -- exhausting!

touch and go bench: 4 x 7 @8:
    - 2 x 7 x 85
    - 2 x 7 x 82.5

close grip incline bench: 5 x 6
    - 3 x 6 x 55kg
    - 2 x 6 x 52.5kg

one hand landmine row: 6 x 8
    - 3 x 8 x 40kg
    - 3 x 8 x 37.5kg
    Just mentioning, I'm splitting up days 1 & 2 of weeks 5 & 6 into 3 days to avoid that kind of exhaustion. 6x5 sets are rough.

Good work all through. I think you'll see some good payoff in the coming weeks. How's the guillotine press working out?

All those dead’s just look exhausting. Nice work powering through
    My “training log”

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Just mentioning, I'm splitting up days 1 & 2 of weeks 5 & 6 into 3 days to avoid that kind of exhaustion. 6x5 sets are rough.

Good work all through. I think you'll see some good payoff in the coming weeks. How's the guillotine press working out?
    Thanks. I had thought of splitting days up too. I don't know what week 5 onwards is like yet - it looks like less volume so maybe I won't need to as long as I can get through week 4.

Guillotine press is going well. It always felt good at working the pecs. My shoulders are getting better, I still get a twinge if I move my arm too fast, especially reaching forwards.

Originally Posted by Raigs View Post
    All those dead’s just look exhausting. Nice work powering through
    Thanks bud, I think they were real RPE 8s so they made my heart pound.

Thanks. I had thought of splitting days up too. I don't know what week 5 onwards is like yet - it looks like less volume so maybe I won't need to as long as I can get through week 4.

Guillotine press is going well. It always felt good at working the pecs. My shoulders are getting better, I still get a twinge if I move my arm too fast, especially reaching forwards.

Thanks bud, I think they were real RPE 8s so they made my heart pound.
    Weeks 5 & 6 are actually pretty high volume because of the 6x5 back off sets on the comp. lifts on days 1 & 2. You might handle it fine if you were doing higher rep work before. Weeks 7 & 8 the volume really drops and your strength comes out from behind all that dissipated fatigue.

Good luck with the shoulders going forward.

^ I took a leaf out of your book. I'm splitting up 2 or 3 of the workouts into two days.

Week 4, day 1.1 (this still took nearly an hour):

Competition squat:
    - 4 x 3 x 132.5kg
    - 3 x 4 x 117.5kg

Stiff leg deadlift: 4 x 7 @8
    - 2 x 7 x 120kg
    - 2 x 7 x 117.5kg

Day 1.2:

Bench press:
    - 5 x 3 x 95kg
    - 3 x 4 x 85kg

Side plank: 45s, 45s, 40s, 35s -- yay no more of these
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 09-03-2020 at 03:14 AM.

2 workouts spread out over the last 3 days...

Deadlift:
    - 4 x 3 x 157
    - 3 x 4 x 140

2 count pause bench: 4 x 4 @8:
    - 2 x 4 x 85
    - 2 x 4 x 82

Squat: 2 x 4 x 115

Seated wide grip band row: 4 x 8 x Green band

2 count pause squat: 4 x 2 @9
    - 2 x 125 -- I underestimated... this was a 6 or 7
    - 3 x 2 x 127

Bench: 6 x 5 x 77.5kg

Feet up bench: 4 x 4 @8
    - 2 x 4 x 82
    - 2 x 4 x 80

Deadlift: 2 x 4 x 137.5kg

Wide grip pullups BW: 8, 8, 7, 7

-- everything is starting to feel easy. I don't know if this is intended at this stage or whether I'm just ready for the more self regulated part of the program next week.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 09-05-2020 at 04:23 AM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Adjusted to the workload and rep ranges would be my guess.

Remember with top sets @8, if it's actually @7 you can always add 4% ish to then get the real target.
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Adjusted to the workload and rep ranges would be my guess.

Remember with top sets @8, if it's actually @7 you can always add 4% ish to then get the real target.
    Thanks, I like the RPE chart but I probably shouldn't take it into the gym with me... but it's useful to know simple rules like this.

A question about week 5 onwards... when they say pin squat, what height do they mean? Also, do you lift off from the pins?

Thanks, I like the RPE chart but I probably shouldn't take it into the gym with me... but it's useful to know simple rules like this.
    RPE chart for a daily goal is great! but you do adjust on work ups higher or lower based on the day

A question about week 5 onwards... when they say pin squat, what height do they mean? Also, do you lift off from the pins?
    If they don't specify I'd take it to mean low, which is at depth or ever so slightly higher.

Yes you lift off, you settle the weight fully but do not come away from the bar at all.
    If you slack on back tightness or positioning these will get ya instantly, which is why they are awesome for drilling it.

5 day full body crew

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Wish I'd been around more to have seen this arise.

Given the pullup comments and bench tweaking this Actually sounds a lot more like a bicep long head issue and I'd have recommend a 1 board, rolled up towel, water bottle or yoga block ect instead of a guillotine.

Add that it sounds like you basically haven't developed and strength ms durability of the tissues in those ranges of motion due to never actually getting down into them

Id recomend you at least warm up to some degree with full rom to the chest to keep the mobility in the tendons and keep building strength in that rom you never use.

But it's your call big man!

And to superset your wanrmups for all your main work with
    Band facepulls
    Band Pullaparts
    Band ytws
    Or whatever you can do to really pump the upper back and build some extra low and mid trap strength and stability.

Log is looking good tho man!.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-05-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    FMH crew T-Rex.

Unrack/Liftoff from normal rack height. The purpose of pin squats is to overload your body and learn to drive up heavy weight. Lifting off from the bottom will really limit your development in this movement.

Pins at depth or just a touch higher. You want to train your sticking point.

That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make one of those sets pause squats once a week to keep training power out of the hole.
    Last edited by ECGordyn; 09-05-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Well I don’t have much to add after these two guys posted. Smart guys it seems like.

Keep going strong!
    My “training log”

Thanks guys, I would really like to get to the bottom of the shoulder issue... let me try to summarise it here:
    - previously did BB style training with pec isolating ROM on a single plane of movement (with DBs and BBs) - no rotation of shoulder, trying to keep anterior delt out of the movement
    - but also did plenty of overhead pressing without issues
    - when doing competition style bench, felt a tightness in left tricep where it meets the armpit. Tight enough to throw off proper bar path near the bottom.
    - after benching like this for a week or so, it became a pain in the left delt - typical 'impingement' pain near the front delt. Jerky movements or sudden reaching forwards (protraction) caused shooting pains

I think the comment re: pullups might be misleading because I tended to warm up for pullups by jumping up and lowering - so there would have been a lot of jerky movement which caused it to flare up. Of course once the shoulder starts barking, it doesn't want to do anything demanding...

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah man.

My honest feeling is you will need to slowly build up the tissue integrity and strength in those low ranges of motion and give them time to adapt to a 'regular' bench press.

The pain free Ohp is great!.. But they're is a small difference here. Elbows are always forward of the body on the sagittal plane and that never really stressed or puts you into shoulder rotation. Compared to (on the other end of the spectrum) a deep dip where the elbows ends up way behind the midline of the body. And obvious bench is somewhere in between.

I believe you will be able to "bench" just fine over time, it's just going to be almost like starting over as a novice to build up the tissues and rom you never really get into. - will come faster than an actual novice tho

Going to involve ensuring a grip that isn't to close (I too get torn up with too much shoulder rotation I don't have from sports injuries and skipping the rom) and to ensure back position is locked in so shoulders don't pronate or roll forward.

Id try a board press with the lower touch point in your wanrmups and try to work down slowly over the sessions to a chest touch while trying to not push past a 3/10 pain while you continue your guillotine press main work! This likely will let you access more rom over time and increase strength at those joint angles you n dont frequently enter.

Caveat. If you can dip deep pain free then ignore all of this and we can look into the pullups closer. Which we probably could look into anyway.

Disclaimer. This is not medical Advice and im not a trained doctor or physio (quack or otherwise) just a guy with a LOT of experience of this stuff. So Ymmv take it nor leave it ect

I have been in this very situation, all be it from an uber arched setup and short rom when trying to transition to a more mass building technique with longer rom and bigger workloads.
    I was just never getting close to my elbows breaking the level of the pad and had no strength or stability there in my tissues and constantly caused my self issues in and under my front delt at the supraapinatis and bicep long head tendon tie in area.

Doesn't help me have half an ac joint but I digress =)
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-06-2020 at 03:07 AM.
    FMH crew T-Rex.

Thanks man, that's great information. I think I'll do what you suggest. I can try putting a hip thruster pad onto my barbell during warmups.

Perhaps after this strength cycle, I'll do a period of high reps lower weight and try to work full ROM bench in.

One other telling clue is that this only affects my left side, the right side doesn't complain so I can't really say I'm just not structurally suited to benching to chest.

I might also try depressing the scapulae more - I think I'm elevating them when I set up.