faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10) faithbody is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lean bulk or recomp or something else?

Hey guys,

I'm 31 and have been working out on and off for about 15 years, I've just started training again after an 18 month break from the gym..... I've lost alot of muscle and I expect my body is screaming to put on muscle and I expect my body to react well for the first few months.

I'm 6ft, 176 lbs @ around 22% bodyfat - my goal is 187lbs @ 10% bodyfat.

From averaging out all the calculators it looks like I need to eat around 3,100 calories per day to be in a 200-300 surplus, I was considering 'lean bulking' up to around 195 lbs or so then cutting. I've done a little research on the recomp but it seems to be a slower process and I would like to make as much gains initially as possible, that being said I am doing all of this purely for aesthetics and I just wanted to get opinions from a few of you guys on what may be the most successful route.

I've always been a bit of a slacker but I feel like this time I'm taking it seriously - counting my calories etc. I'll do whatever it takes and I don't really care what I have to put my body through.

So currently, my plan is to gain around 1lbs per week until I hit 195 or so, then cut off the fat and hopefully look shredded - but this may change based on what I learn to be optimal.

If you haven't already gathered, I'm a bit of a noob so yeah just putting it out there for you guys to critique and throw any pointers my way

Much appreciated.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by faithbody View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm 31 and have been working out on and off for about 15 years, I've just started training again after an 18 month break from the gym..... I've lost alot of muscle and I expect my body is screaming to put on muscle and I expect my body to react well for the first few months.

From averaging out all the calculators it looks like I need to eat around 3,100 calories per day to be in a 200-300 surplus, I was considering 'lean bulking' up to around 195 lbs or so then cutting. I've done a little research on the recomp but it seems to be a slower process and I would like to make as much gains initially as possible, that being said I am doing all of this purely for aesthetics and I just wanted to get opinions from a few of you guys on what may be the most successful route.

I've always been a bit of a slacker but I feel like this time I'm taking it seriously - counting my calories etc. I'll do whatever it takes and I don't really care what I have to put my body through.

So currently, my plan is to gain around 1lbs per week until I hit 195 or so, then cut off the fat and hopefully look shredded - but this may change based on what I learn to be optimal.

If you haven't already gathered, I'm a bit of a noob so yeah just putting it out there for you guys to critique and throw any pointers my way

Much appreciated.
    If you're 22% BF, there's no sense in doing a typical 'bulk'.

You'd be better off eating in a mild deficit or recomping since muscle memory will be on your side.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try eating at weight maintenance first. Muscle memory will make recomping easy.

Only use a surplus when you have to.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by faithbody View Post
    Hey guys,

Much appreciated.
    1lb per week of weight gain is too fast and will result in unnecessary fat gain. Absolute.best case scenario is you gain half fat, half muscle. Assuming your 22% figure is correct, by 195lb you will be around 25% body fat. Assuming no muscle loss while cutting, you would need to get down to around 160lb to be 10% body fat.

Your goal is for 31lb of muscle gain and 20lb of fat loss. It's a fine target and should be possible, but will likely take 5 years or more of.repeated lean bulking and cutting cycles with excellent adherence to training and diet.