Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FullBodyAddict is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Opinion on Athlean X Full Body Program

What do you guys think of athlean x program for strength and size development? Is it optimal ? I like his explanation and the exercise selection.
    Seems like a much more well rounded ss/sl

The name of the video is „ The Perfect total body workout ( sets and reps included)

For those who don’t have the time to watch I’ll paste the workout here

Workout A:

1. 3D Lunge Warmup - 2-3 x 7 Reps each direction
    2. Barbell Squats - 3 x 5
    3. Barbell Hip Thrusts - 3-4 x 10 - 12
    4. Barbell Bench Press - 3 x 5
    5. Weighted Chin Ups - 3 x 6 - 10 to failure
    6. DB Farmer’s Carries - 3 x 50 steps with half bodyweight
    7. Face Pulls - 2 x 12 ( using 12 sets of 1 mentality)

Workout B:

1. 3D Lunge Warmup - 2-3 x 7 Reps each direction
    2. Deadlifts - 3 x 5
    3. Barbell Squats or Barbell Reverse Lunges - 3-4 x 10
    4. Barbell OHP - 3 x 5
    5. Barbell Rows - 3 x 10-12
    6. DB Overhead Farmer’s Carries - 3-4 50 steps with one quarter bodyweight
    7. Face Pulls or other corrective ( using 12 sets of 1 mentality)

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bah of course the prick names it the perfect program. Bet it solves cancer too.

That said the general exercise selection is fine. What's the progression and intensity?
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Bah of course the prick names it the perfect program. Bet it solves cancer too.

That said the general exercise selection is fine. What's the progression and intensity?
    Athlene-x... progression
    Pick one
    FMH crew T-Rex.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Usually his videos just tell me I've been doing every exercise wrong all these years, but this program seems ok if you like the exercises - volume may be a bit much for some total beginners. As noted above, you should nail down progression for yourself if he doesn't give instructions.

Do you guys it Think it would be fine to add bicep curls at the end of workout a and skullcrushers at the end of b to get that extra arm work

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FullBodyAddict View Post
    Do you guys it Think it would be fine to add bicep curls at the end of workout a and skullcrushers at the end of b to get that extra arm work
    It's not the end of the world if you add a couple sets, but I suggest running it as-is for a few weeks and see whether you feel you need more. Those farmer's walks towards the end might wear you out more than you think.

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That program looks like a modified Fierce 5 with some additional leg work. It could be called the Super 7.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    That program looks like a modified Fierce 5 with some additional leg work. It could be called the Super 7.
    Then add curls and skullcrushers and you have the Notorious 9

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Then add curls and skullcrushers and you have the Notorious 9
    It's already the "perfect total body workout". Any changes by definition will make it worse.

jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Although I am not a big fan of him, because clickbait titles and repetitive videos, it looks decent:
    - He has this face pull fixation (not to mention his anti upright row fixation)
    - add a flexion movement for biceps and an extension one for triceps
    - a lateral raise, maybe but too much volume, too much volume
    - I wonder how many of the people who comment on his videos can do weighted chin-ups...

You can use Greg Doucette's progression method:

HARDER THAN THE LAST TIME!

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Although I am not a big fan of him, because clickbait titles and repetitive videos, it looks decent:
    - I wonder how many of the people who comment on his videos can do weighted chin-ups...

More weight than last time is good.
    Harder could be counter productive.
    It's a nitpick but it's true and applicable
    5 day full body crew

84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 84p2v5vrcxy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’m a fan of his videos. But Idk about his workout programs. The slight variations to movements to change it up are great but that program seems heavy on volume if you are a beginner. Try it out and let us know how it goes. Be the guinea pig 😁

The volume should be fine since I am not a complete beginner. I’ll just stick to this and use The stronglifts Progression since it’s very similar to this. I think I’ll leave out the additional isolation stuff for now. The push pull movements plus the Carries and even the facepull which involves a biT of biceps I think should be enough for the arms I guess. Also I’ll do the rows on workout a and chin ups on b because I always struggled to do rows after deadlifts

The volume should be fine since I am not a complete beginner. I’ll just stick to this and use The stronglifts Progression since it’s very similar to this. I think I’ll leave out the additional isolation stuff for now. The push pull movements plus the Carries and even the facepull which involves a biT of biceps I think should be enough for the arms I guess. Also I’ll do the rows on workout a and chin ups on b because I always struggled to do rows after deadlifts
    Sounds good, if you do the weighted chins with good form that'll work your biceps really well.

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seems like you already decided not to add in dedication arm work. But just to chime in, I’m doing fierce 5 upper lower and I always feel my biceps pumped much more on upper B when I do face pulls, weighted chins and Pendlay rows than upper A when I do wide grip pull ups, barbel row and bicep curls. So yeah, definitely a strong believer that weighted chins work your biceps far more....

Spoiler!
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

Originally Posted by TonedJordan View Post
    Seems like you already decided not to add in dedication arm work. But just to chime in, I’m doing fierce 5 upper lower and I always feel my biceps pumped much more on upper B when I do face pulls, weighted chins and Pendlay rows than upper A when I do wide grip pull ups, barbel row and bicep curls. So yeah, definitely a strong believer that weighted chins work your biceps far more....

Spoiler!
    You can load chin ups much more than curls since it’s a compound so that’s great too. I did this today and the pump was amazing I felt my arms working on the farmers Carries too so I really don’t think additional isolation work is needed. Not a fan of those anyway tbh. Doing skullcrushers is like math for me
    Last edited by FullBodyAddict; 07-24-2020 at 03:16 AM.

TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    I’d be interested to know if the force generated by the biceps during chin ups/close grip pulls downs is actually higher than if you do bicep curls though. Yes you are moving more weight but your biceps can only generate so much force, regardless of the exercise. It’s not just your biceps pulling the weight during chin ups, hence why you can lift more.

I would guess the reason why Chinups work so well is because you start with your elbows fully extended above your head, and end with them by your sides, so the movement is actually very different due to the shoulder movement. Your bicep is elongated considerably when you have your arms above your head, which might suggest a better stretch reflex. However surely the biceps are at a mechanical disadvantage when in the starting position of a pull up.

The bigger stretch of the muscle during the chins ups could also be the reason why it hits them so hard. You are going from a long stretch to a close flex.

Any one got any studies on this to link?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Menno henselmans has some articles explaining why and where isolation exercises have an effect that you don't get from just compounds (e.g. biceps vs. pullups). It's worth seeking them out. Experienced lifters with bodybuilding goals will generally benefit from isolation of both the bicep and the tricep as well as doing main compounds like presses and pulls. Same applies to quad and hamstring too BTW.

I’d be interested to know if the force generated by the biceps during chin ups/close grip pulls downs is actually higher than if you do bicep curls though. Yes you are moving more weight but your biceps can only generate so much force, regardless of the exercise. It’s not just your biceps pulling the weight during chin ups, hence why you can lift more.

I would guess the reason why Chinups work so well is because you start with your elbows fully extended above your head, and end with them by your sides, so the movement is actually very different due to the shoulder movement. Your bicep is elongated considerably when you have your arms above your head, which might suggest a better stretch reflex. However surely the biceps are at a mechanical disadvantage when in the starting position of a pull up.

The bigger stretch of the muscle during the chins ups could also be the reason why it hits them so hard. You are going from a long stretch to a close flex.

Haven't read any studies but if you're looking for which is the better exercise to target biceps it'd be curls. If you pick the right variations and use proper form, it'll be a full ROM and because you're isolating the muscle, when you fail it'll be because of the biceps, while on chinups your limiting factor could be back, grip, etc.

That being said, depending on the person for some programs many or any biceps isos aren't necessary just because you get plenty of work from compound lifts if you progressively overload - here with things like weighted chins, rows, farmer's carries. So I wouldn't say weighted chins are better, just that they may be enough - although OP may find that he wants to add some isos on later as he continues.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post

I tried this. Turns out switching from rubber weights to cast iron weights made no difference WHAT DO I DO

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Actually I'd expect the stretch on the biceps to be the least when they are high above your head. See a quick blurb on the anatomy here: https://www.kenhub.com/en/library/an...brachii-muscle . Holding your arm behind your body as if starting a low pulley curl will likely put the greatest stretch on it. There is some debate to what degree the biceps act as a shoulder flexor; assuming they do then doing curls with your arms above your head may allow a slightly better peak contraction. I imagine part of the reason chins feel really good is the supination component as most people are going to supinate their arms more than typical when simply holding a chin up bar. You'll notice most people use an EZ curl bar for curls; that's less s

The other thing to always consider is the strength curve of the movement and where the tension is placed. With a barbell curl if you have your hands above your elbow at the top then very little weight will be on your biceps as your forearms will take the load axially. If you stop the curl at the top with your hands in front of the elbows then the force will remain on the biceps but some will still be transferred to the bones so the weight will lesson as you get to the top regardless. With weighted chins, when you pull yourself up at the top there is not going to be axial loading on your forearms as the weight isn't in your hands, rather it is on your body, and thus the weight will be puling you down via the shoulder; as your biceps are going to be at an angle to your trunk at the top they are going to keep more of the weight on them at the top of the movement when biceps contraction will be at its highest.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I can try to create some some of paint document to explain but fair warning, I am not an artist.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Menno henselmans has some articles explaining why and where isolation exercises have an effect that you don't get from just compounds (e.g. biceps vs. pullups). It's worth seeking them out. Experienced lifters with bodybuilding goals will generally benefit from isolation of both the bicep and the tricep as well as doing main compounds like presses and pulls. Same applies to quad and hamstring too BTW.
    I’d be interested in reading that. If you find it could you post the link here?

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Actually I'd expect the stretch on the biceps to be the least when they are high above your head. See a quick blurb on the anatomy here: https://www.kenhub.com/en/library/an...brachii-muscle . Holding your arm behind your body as if starting a low pulley curl will likely put the greatest stretch on it. There is some debate to what degree the biceps act as a shoulder flexor; assuming they do then doing curls with your arms above your head may allow a slightly better peak contraction. I imagine part of the reason chins feel really good is the supination component as most people are going to supinate their arms more than typical when simply holding a chin up bar. You'll notice most people use an EZ curl bar for curls; that's less s

The other thing to always consider is the strength curve of the movement and where the tension is placed. With a barbell curl if you have your hands above your elbow at the top then very little weight will be on your biceps as your forearms will take the load axially. If you stop the curl at the top with your hands in front of the elbows then the force will remain on the biceps but some will still be transferred to the bones so the weight will lesson as you get to the top regardless. With weighted chins, when you pull yourself up at the top there is not going to be axial loading on your forearms as the weight isn't in your hands, rather it is on your body, and thus the weight will be puling you down via the shoulder; as your biceps are going to be at an angle to your trunk at the top they are going to keep more of the weight on them at the top of the movement when biceps contraction will be at its highest.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I can try to create some some of paint document to explain but fair warning, I am not an artist.
    Absolutely does make sense, thanks a lot. You explained it well enough so don’t worry about your artistic ability.

In fact when I woke up this morning I stretched, and then for some reason remembered this thread and suddenly realized that my bicep isn’t stretched nearly as much when my arm is above my head anyway. It seems I didn’t think properly before my last post.

people lookin at me like I’m from another dimension doing carry’s, hip thrusts and face pulls. Some guy even asked me what face pulls are good for.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm all for any routine with farmer's walks included in it!
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    I'm all for any routine with farmer's walks included in it!
    do you see arm gainz on them ? which muscles does it work the most anyway and are the muscles used on the standard farmers carry different from the overhead carry?

do you see arm gainz on them ? which muscles does it work the most anyway and are the muscles used on the standard farmers carry different from the overhead carry?
    It'll be mostly forearms n high traps on handles.
    Overhead there is a lot of stabilisers going on, but most muscles need more than just an isometric contraction too.. Is tricky to say how much you'd get out of them.

Overhead shrugs are excellent though
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    It'll be mostly forearms n high traps on handles.
    Overhead there is a lot of stabilisers going on, but most muscles need more than just an isometric contraction too.. Is tricky to say how much you'd get out of them.

Overhead shrugs are excellent though
    well i said i wouldnt add curls and crusher but now i changed my mind again haha i need those arms that fill my shirts guys

Guys coming back to this thread cause I have some questionS. Should I do 10 reps for each leg or 10 reps total on the reverse lunges ? He didn’t explain that in the video.

What about Progression on face pulls ? Should I just stick to low weights or should I try to get heavy as possible on this too ?

Also the heaviest dumbbells in my gym are 70 lbs. after I manage to carry those around shoukd I switch to a trap bar carry so I can continue loading this exercise ?

jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaxqen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well i said i wouldnt add curls and crusher but now i changed my mind again haha i need those arms that fill my shirts guys
    but squats and bench will... just joking, do curls and skulls!

Guys coming back to this thread cause I have some questionS. Should I do 10 reps for each leg or 10 reps total on the reverse lunges ? He didn’t explain that in the video.

What about Progression on face pulls ? Should I just stick to low weights or should I try to get heavy as possible on this too ?

Also the heaviest dumbbells in my gym are 70 lbs. after I manage to carry those around shoukd I switch to a trap bar carry so I can continue loading this exercise ?
    Each leg, I assume.

Lower weights 12-15 reps

Or increase the time or the number of steps