TheWoodvine is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training & Calorie Intake and Expenditure - Have I got this right?

Hi folks - I was wondering anyone could have a read of the following and just make sure I've got my thinking right.

I've just lost a good chunk of weight - down to 75kg, 166lb. I've treated the weight loss as a "Body Reset" with the goal of starting weight training again when the gyms open next week here in the UK.

My aim is to initially tone up and lose the slight "skinny-fat" look that I currently have, then move to a fuller, muscular body.

For ease of reference, let's say my sedentary, do nothing TDEE is 2000 calories. If I was to start weight training again, burning an extra 400 calories a time, I'd eat 2400 calories on the days I trained. On the days I didn't train, I would eat 2000 calories. All calories would be quality ones, high protein and micro-nutrients looked after.

As I'm eating the same calories as I burn, I shouldn't see an increase in my body fat %, rather a decrease, with a % increase in muscle mass, with my effective "weight" staying roughly the same.

If I wanted to then increase my muscle mass, I'd increase the calories by say 200/300 calories on training days.

I appreciate I'm mixing terminology and the like, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that "Am I right in thinking that as long as my calorie intake matches my calorie expenditure, and I train with weights, I'll not get FAT AGAIN (even though I'm eating more than I did) and that I'll gradually look leaner than I do now?"

Really appreciate your thoughts.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Your results are likely to be pretty much the same if you just run the same calorie intake each day - but it will be less complicated. Actually 400 calories is probably an overestimate for the _additional_ calories burned. And your body also effectively smooths out any day to day variations in intake anyway so nothing is likely to be gained by trying to get too precise.

Just pick a calorie level, stick to it continuously for 2 weeks and see which way your bodyweight moves in that time (weigh in daily first thing in the morning after peeing)

TheWoodvine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Your results are likely to be pretty much the same if you just run the same calorie intake each day - but it will be less complicated. Actually 400 calories is probably an overestimate for the _additional_ calories burned. And your body also effectively smooths out any day to day variations in intake anyway so nothing is likely to be gained by trying to get too precise.

Just pick a calorie level, stick to it continuously for 2 weeks and see which way your bodyweight moves in that time (weigh in daily first thing in the morning after peeing)
    Thanks for the reply.

It does seem counterintuitive that I can eat more but not gain, as long as I weight train and also become leaner - but I've got to do it.

I'll try for 2300/day initially and see how it goes.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheWoodvine View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

It does seem counterintuitive that I can eat more but not gain, as long as I weight train and also become leaner - but I've got to do it.

I'll try for 2300/day initially and see how it goes.
    It's best not to think of calories being consumed and used within short time frames - because they aren't. You have large reserves of carbohydrate and fat in your body which you just top up by eating. Your body draws on those when it needs them. Feelings of hunger are often nothing more than hormonal shifts, you aren't literally running out of energy. The only thing that is in any way time sensitive is protein - but as long as you reach a sensible daily total of (say) 130g or more for an average male, you are golden.