futuregainzs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I be bulking?

Hello, I am 19, and I weigh 130 pounds and am 5'10 in height.
    I'm pretty skinny, and I want to get stronger and get a nicer body. I have bought some workout equipment and have been doing exercises 4 times a week for the past 2 weeks.
    I would love to have abs, but right now I have abit of fat over my stomach. I read that at my current weight, I should be eating abit more than I normally do and slowly gain weight, but I also need to be at a certain body fat percentage for my abs to show.
    I'm not sure if I should be bulking or maintaining my current weight as I exercise, what should I do?

iamduybu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by futuregainzs View Post
    Hello, I am 19, and I weigh 130 pounds and am 5'10 in height.
    I'm pretty skinny, and I want to get stronger and get a nicer body. I have bought some workout equipment and have been doing exercises 4 times a week for the past 2 weeks.
    I would love to have abs, but right now I have abit of fat over my stomach. I read that at my current weight, I should be eating abit more than I normally do and slowly gain weight, but I also need to be at a certain body fat percentage for my abs to show.
    I'm not sure if I should be bulking or maintaining my current weight as I exercise, what should I do?
    Yes, you should bulk with a bit more kcal than usual.
    What equipments do you have?

Originally Posted by iamduybu View Post
    Yes, you should bulk with a bit more kcal than usual.
    What equipments do you have?
    I have some resistance bands and some light dumbbells, can't really go to the gym at the moment

iamduybu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by futuregainzs View Post
    I have some resistance bands and some light dumbbells, can't really go to the gym at the moment
    You should search for some calisthenic routines. Build your base first then you can go to the gym later.

Originally Posted by alisaweaver View Post
    You should do some exercise at home regularly. It's really important to have enough calories to build muscles, take care of it. But don't start with complicated training. Think about the coordination of movements and stretching, that's essential things.
    I spend a day trying to focus on legs, another day on abs, another day on arms , and another day on my chest

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are currently light for your height regardless of whether you have a layer of fat on your stomach.

Go on a moderate surplus (maybe 3-400cals) and find a decent calisthenics routine you can adopt (think pushups with various grips, pullups, jumping squats, split squats, hindu pushups, ab work, dips), use bands and dumbells to progress the load in certain exercises (if you were to put dumbells in a rucksack you could immediately increase the weight on many of these exercises). Do not get trapped in a high rep, low weight dumbell workout which will lead to minimal mass gain.

With your stats you will not have decent abs no matter how lean you become. Focus on steadily gaining strength and mass for a good long while before you make any decisions about cutting (likely it will take several cut and bulk cycles before you get to a point where you look good lean)