TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Over 50’s bulk / cut?

As I am over 50 should I be less inclined to cut and bulk than a younger person or more inclined? (I’m talking slow and and gaining no more than 10lbs)

Bonus question:

Should I be more or less inclined to
    use intensification techniques such as drop sets, rest pause, 1 & 1/4 reps etc etc?

PS I have been training about 10 years

(I think the answer to question 2 is more likely and question 1 is no difference)

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    As I am over 50 should I be less inclined to cut and bulk than a younger person or more inclined? (I’m talking slow and and gaining no more than 10lbs)

Bonus question:

Should I be more or less inclined to
    use intensification techniques such as drop sets, rest pause, 1 & 1/4 reps etc etc?

PS I have been training about 10 years

(I think the answer to question 2 is more likely and question 1 is no difference)
    Why don't you tell us your current stats? Also, an overview of your workout/diet?
    David

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Actually I’m just looking for a general principal.

I’m happy with my diet and routine

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I find bulking/cutting not to work as efficiently as before - in terms of muscle v. fat gained and lost. Not saying not to do it, just that your results may be different than you would have had when in your 20s/30s. (Not quite over 50 here, but on the way)

General answer to bonus Q: IMO you don't need to change that approach one way or another because of age specifically, just whatever works for you.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends on what your goals are.
    Really not a reason to cut and bulk for general well being unless your obese in the first place.
    At 50+having less body fat and more muscle is a good thing for health and longevity.
    Gaining muscle is harder the older we get but not impossible.
    A diet with protein as the main macro,an intense enough training session to inhibit muscle growth and probably more rest/recovery time than you think you need.
    And as you mentioned over a longer period of time,be patient.
    Natural muscle gain can be a slow process and five pounds a year could be considered good.
    The training protocols you choose need to be intense but shorter over all.
    There is really no right or wrong as long as your training hard.
    Have a journal for diet and training to track progress,take pictures month to month and compare.
    Good luck.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Then I have nothing to help you with since you think a general answer to whether you should bulk or cut based only on your age is going to be helpful.
    David

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I'm 54 and currently cutting to about 10% before shifting over to a lean bulk.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I find bulking/cutting not to work as efficiently as before - in terms of muscle v. fat gained and lost. Not saying not to do it, just that your results may be different than you would have had when in your 20s/30s. (Not quite over 50 here, but on the way)

General answer to bonus Q: IMO you don't need to change that approach one way or another because of age specifically, just whatever works for you.

Bulking and cutting is the most effective way to gain mass and strength (IF there are mass and strength gains to be had).

The only assement as to whether it is or can be effective has everything to do with where one is in their progress and nothing to do with age.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks all!

I conclude that being over 50 shouldn’t affect my decision as to whether I wish to use the cut/bulk approach.

PS

Whenever my weight goes up it’s usually because I start eating chocolate and Ice cream quite often - usually because Im a bit depressed.

Would anybody say don’t bulk if your going to do it like that, i.e. kind of dirty?

FWIW:

I’m about 20% bf (was around 15% pre-covid) I think I’m going to go to 13% and then drift up to 17%. (I have been tested previously so I can make a fair guess)

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bulking with sub par nutrition has never worked for me. I just get fat real fast 😂
    I'd also prefer to get closer to 10% and drift up to 14%. Just my opinion.

It seems I’m lacking ambition!

However -

I thought 15% bodyfat was optimal in order to maximise hormones or whatever? - and therefore gains?

I further thought 13-17 would be good as I would never be too far from 15%.

Obviously I wound not look as good as I would staying in the 10- 14 % range.

(I’ve also wondered whether the ideal bf% would increase for someone 50, 60 or 70 relative to a say a 25 year old)

An I making any sense?

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Many young people have difficulty gaining anything; They have to pound calories to gain muscle and fat.

Most older people need to drop body fat. You'd need exceptional genetics to maintain a 10% BF at any age.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pondman View Post
    Many young people have difficulty gaining anything;

Its because they dont eat enough....period.

Most older people need to drop body fat.

That is because they eat too much...period.

Very simple concepts here folks.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Form4U is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am 71 years old and fortunate to have good genetics to have aged well, I have no genetics for building an impressive musculature, but still building strength. I deleted a bio history that led me to where I am today, to support my response opinion, but a digression from my point. Over my years of experience of lifting and exercise, I found there is much wisdom in the very basics that include exercise and diet. One must keep in mind that we are all different in many ways and how our bodies respond to exercise and dietary needs must be monitored. Keep your progress real and not based on what your magazine hero can gain. Those magazine physiques are benefited with genetics that support huge muscular development. Not everyone can achieve their results, nor can everyone sing well, do well in mathematics, or do portrait paintings, but everyone can do a little of each, just not so well. You never know what level of achievement you can gain until you try. Lou Ferrigno was a skinny kid when he started lifting, but had the right gene that enabled him to development a monster physique. Most of us are not so fortunate in this regard, but we all benefit to some degree, it is up to us to find out how far we can go, hence discipline and commitment.

With this said, I have found at my age recovery from workouts a challenge and over-training to be avoided, but a reality. If my muscles are sore and I lose vascularity, I take another day to skip that muscle group. When I started my current routine I weighed 175 and now up to 185, this was only six months ago. Before starting my current routine with free weights and machines, I was using machines only. The free weights, smith machine, sled, chinning bar, also for triceps dips and machines are all I use and my routine only lasts 20 minutes or less. I take no rests between sets, except for the time to change weight and go directly to my next exercise. This provides me an aerobic component to my routine. My goal is to be the best I can be, but current progress has me optimistic that over the next few years I can rival my best when I was 32 years of age.

The purpose of my responding here is to emphasize the wisdom of focusing on basic power building movements demonstrated on most any weight lifting source. Listen to your body, if it is sore and your energy level is low, best to let your body recover and look to your diet. My 3 meals are small, but balanced and I snack with protein food throughout the day. Every day I drink at least one Premier 30 gm protein drink a day, usually a little at a time along with a snack, along with a whey protein and creatine shake after a workout.

In summary, keep your goal realistic, listen to your body, don't over-train, stick with basic movements to build strength and muscle, keep isolation exercises only to refine muscle that has first developed size, plan your diet over several meals during the day, with a focus on getting enough protein. This is what has been working for me at 71 years of age and still building strength and size.

One more thing, Reps: On any exercise, I do at least one set to failure and start with a warm-up set of at least 12-15 reps. My last set is to failure, but be careful how many sets you do, or you will over-train that body part. I often over due it and need to take an extra day or more to recover that body part. I work out 4-5 days a week, because my routine is only 20 minutes or less on any one day. I see people at my gym taking long breaks between sets and there over an hour, but not quality workout time. IMO this is a waste of exercise time and monopolizes time someone else might spend at that station. Also, over the years I have found that a workout partner creates a conflict with keeping with your partner's schedule and with the time you may need to take off for your recovery. Listen to your body and keep with what works best for you. I hope some older lifter has found this encouraging and motivating, exercise is a lifestyle choice with progress on a continuum.
    Last edited by Form4U; 08-29-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: correction