Thread: Frustrated AF

weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Angry Frustrated AF

Ive been stuck on the same bench weight for 6 months now. It pisses me off so much..
    My PB is 145 kg which is about 320 lbs and thats where I am stuck. Pisses me off so much.
    My routine is pretty lame and its benching 4-5 times a week. Anyone with a big bench and lots of experience that can help me?
    Thx alot :-)!!

sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by weezystrong View Post
    Ive been stuck on the same bench weight for 6 months now. It pisses me off so much..
    My PB is 145 kg which is about 320 lbs and thats where I am stuck. Pisses me off so much.
    My routine is pretty lame and its benching 4-5 times a week. Anyone with a big bench and lots of experience that can help me?
    Thx alot :-)!!
    Are you using linear progression to get heavier every few weeks?

What does your program and accessory work look like?

weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezystrong is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    Are you using linear progression to get heavier every few weeks?

What does your program and accessory work look like?
    Hi, thx for the answer. I dont use any linear progression. I max out 90% of the time lol. So itll look like this: everytime i bench ill go for very high intensity and lots of rest. I usually finish my sets with burn out reps.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi, thx for the answer. I dont use any linear progression. I max out 90% of the time lol. So itll look like this: everytime i bench ill go for very high intensity and lots of rest. I usually finish my sets with burn out reps.
    The problem is your programming. You need to work at submaximal loads with volume and frequency for several weeks, and then go for max weights. Maxing out all the time isn't as productive as it seems. Take a look at the Calgary Barbell programs.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    The problem is your programming. You need to work at submaximal loads with volume and frequency for several weeks, and then go for max weights. Maxing out all the time isn't as productive as it seems. Take a look at the Calgary Barbell programs.
    Ok thank you haha.

sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This will lead you nowhere but to injuring yourself without making progress.

If you search for programs, there are A LOT! Two of the current most popular are Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler.

Research them and the variations of those, follow it.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    This will lead you nowhere but to injuring yourself without making progress.

If you search for programs, there are A LOT! Two of the current most popular are Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler.

Research them and the variations of those, follow it.
    If he's got a 320 bench then he's beyond Starting Strength. Linear progression will only frustrate him more.

A 531 variation might work, but more complex periodization like Calgary could be more mentally refreshing.

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    If he's got a 320 bench then he's beyond Starting Strength. Linear progression will only frustrate him more.

A 531 variation might work, but more complex periodization like Calgary could be more mentally refreshing.
    Yep, I'll look into calgary.

360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should also take a look at what part of the lift you're failing. Are you failing off your chest, at the middle, or at lock out. All of these different points of failure can be addressed by different assistance exercises.

Originally Posted by 360365LAWS View Post
    You should also take a look at what part of the lift you're failing. Are you failing off your chest, at the middle, or at lock out. All of these different points of failure can be addressed by different assistance exercises.
    Got it, appreciate it. Im strong off the chest and if I get the bar over 50% I usually finish the lift. Ive also cleaned my technique up a bit..
    Just trying to progress on accessory lifts aswell. 👍

Got it, appreciate it. Im strong off the chest and if I get the bar over 50% I usually finish the lift. Ive also cleaned my technique up a bit..
    Just trying to progress on accessory lifts aswell. 👍
    Low pin presses might help your sticking point, or Spoto press. Could swap either for incline if you run the Calgary.

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are 90% most of the time its potentially the issue. Go read scientific principles of strength training, just until before the SRA curves chapter. Dont just hop onto a 'bench programme' and hope you will get results.

Once your Bench (or any lift) moves into late intermediate or advanced just smashing heavy works less and less unless you are gaining size pretty consistently. Like others have said start periodizing your training, and review your technique. If you have cleaned it up, what does that mean, can you post a video ?

Quite a lot of factors can be causing your bench to stall including
    - Not periodising
    - Poor general recover
    - Not actually overloading despite thinking you are
    - Lagging supporting muscle (this is more likely the more advanced you are and less likely the less you are. In your case its probably not this unless you weigh under 74kgs)
    - Technique issue (more likely than lagging support muscle since a 5% deviation starts creating a leverage blocker)
    - Not getting bigger
    - Fried CNS (which is possible if you been smashing 90% for 6 months now with no deload)
    - A good few others
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew

Originally Posted by untranslatedZA View Post
    If you are 90% most of the time its potentially the issue. Go read scientific principles of strength training, just until before the SRA curves chapter. Dont just hop onto a 'bench programme' and hope you will get results.

Once your Bench (or any lift) moves into late intermediate or advanced just smashing heavy works less and less unless you are gaining size pretty consistently. Like others have said start periodizing your training, and review your technique. If you have cleaned it up, what does that mean, can you post a video ?

Quite a lot of factors can be causing your bench to stall including
    - Not periodising
    - Poor general recover
    - Not actually overloading despite thinking you are
    - Lagging supporting muscle (this is more likely the more advanced you are and less likely the less you are. In your case its probably not this unless you weigh under 74kgs)
    - Technique issue (more likely than lagging support muscle since a 5% deviation starts creating a leverage blocker)
    - Not getting bigger
    - Fried CNS (which is possible if you been smashing 90% for 6 months now with no deload)
    - A good few others
    Ok thanks alot. Ive always wanted to learn proper programming but I never knew where to start. Well in my previous technique my butt would come off the bench. Now I rotate my knees outward and rotate my heels inward so I can stay tight and get a big press without my butt coming off the bench. My arch is good so that is not an issue.
    Honestly I think my lack of progress comes down to like you said not overloading and not knowing how to program.