Tango0023 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can do pulldowns (heavier than body weight) more than pullups

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I don't think an introduction is relevant now, I'll go straight to the question

I weigh 65 KG I can do 8 pullups in a row, maybe 9 in a good day but definitely not more than 10 even if a gun was pointed to my head

The form:
    I place my hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart, start fully extended then retract the scapula and lift myself with normal speed imagining that I'm doing it with the elbows, I arch the chest a bit then when I hit the bar with the top of my chest/lower neck I go slow through the negative and repeat

OK what is confusing me is that I can do 12 reps pulldowns with 70 Kg, then do 10 and 8 with 80 KG and feel that I still have some more in the tank. As much as I'm aware I'd say I use the same exact form

The pulldowns definitely improved how many pullups I can perform but it's puzzling me why I can't do at least 13 pullups since I can do 12 pulldowns with a weight that is heavier than my body weight

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because they're 2 different exercises. There's a lot more going on with pullups in terms of stabilization and core. With pulldowns, your lower body is stationary and locked into place, plus it's easier to cheat unknowingly while on pullups it's obvious if you're swinging your body around. That's why tons of people at the gym like lat pulldowns, because they can do them.

Plus with any type of machine there's no perfect accuracy you can match up to other machines, free weights or calisthenics. For example, 4 plates on each side of a hammer strength seated BP machine could be easy... put those on the bar, much much harder.

Thanks air2fakie

Yeah, I never thought about it from that angle, stabilization and core work also I might unknowingly lean slightly back or forward in a pulldown which might allow me to pull more

I'll take the second point in consideration as well, now I'll start to notice my lifting capabilities between similar exercises when done with free weights vs calisthenics vs cable

Thanks again

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good answer above^^^.
    Two different movements but the same muscles worked.
    Pull ups you pull the body to the bar,pull downs you pull the weight down to the body.
    It's easier to to do more weight on pull downs as you can cheat easier and your locked in with the pad over your legs.
    Pull ups have to be done stricter or your body will be swinging all over the place.
    If want to get good at pull ups then practice your pull ups more frequently.
    Practice is just doing a few easy sets say 4-5 days a week nothing to tire you out.
    You are working the movement rather than trying to stimulate muscle.
    If you follow this in a period of time you will be able to increase your overall reps eventually.

Thanks Garage Rat, for the addition I already started to incorporate easy sets through the week very gradually

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To tack on to this, especially garage rat's point on practice, I did something similar with pullups. I did them everyday for about 3-4 weeks, never sets to failure. I just practiced the movement and form. After that period, just from practice sets everyday, I could do 6-7 pullups in a set to failure.

Just goes to show that even practicing the skill, even without high intensity, lends itself to the exercise. Skill in lifting is just as important as the capacity of your muscles to actually lift.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama