Registered User PCRulesPSDrools's Avatar
    PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Rogue Urethane Dumbbell issue

For the price I paid for these I'm not impressed with the highly inconsistent knurling.

I attempted to purchase 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 Lb pairs back when Rogue was the only source left with stock. They refunded the 55's and 65's due to stock issues and sent me just the top 3 pairs.

the 95lb pair had knurling which was much too smooth and I can feel my hands slide around on them if I'm just beginning to sweat.

the 75lb pair has knurling I was call satisfactory, but still not as aggressive as the Cemco's I use locally

The 85lb is an oddball pair, one with good aggressive knurling comparable to the Cemco's, and one that is lighter than or similar at best to the 75's

======

Fast forward. I attempted to purchase 55's and 65's from Cemco, but the individual dumbbells I wanted went out of stock before I could, and have not been re listed for individual sale ever since.

So, I decided to chance Rogue again, hoping that after clearing out old stock, chances were better that I would get decent knurling. My 55's arrived today and they are smooth comparable to my 95's

95lb & 95lb <- Super Mild
    85lb & 85lb <- odd ball pair, one good knurl you can feel grip your hand, one medium mild
    75lb & 75lb <- matching decent knurl, not quit Cemco, but close enough.
    55lb & 55lb <- Super Mild
    65lb & 65lb <- Still in the mail

Really disappointed in this, especially for the 55lb's because I'll be curling them

ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PCRulesPSDrools View Post
    For the price I paid for these I'm not impressed with the highly inconsistent knurling.

I attempted to purchase 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 Lb pairs back when Rogue was the only source left with stock. They refunded the 55's and 65's due to stock issues and sent me just the top 3 pairs.

the 95lb pair had knurling which was much too smooth and I can feel my hands slide around on them if I'm just beginning to sweat.

the 75lb pair has knurling I was call satisfactory, but still not as aggressive as the Cemco's I use locally

The 85lb is an oddball pair, one with good aggressive knurling comparable to the Cemco's, and one that is lighter than or similar at best to the 75's

======

Fast forward. I attempted to purchase 55's and 65's from Cemco, but the individual dumbbells I wanted went out of stock before I could, and have not been re listed for individual sale ever since.

So, I decided to chance Rogue again, hoping that after clearing out old stock, chances were better that I would get decent knurling. My 55's arrived today and they are smooth comparable to my 95's

95lb & 95lb <- Super Mild
    85lb & 85lb <- odd ball pair, one good knurl you can feel grip your hand, one medium mild
    75lb & 75lb <- matching decent knurl, not quit Cemco, but close enough.
    55lb & 55lb <- Super Mild
    65lb & 65lb <- Still in the mail

Really disappointed in this, especially for the 55lb's because I'll be curling them
    My Rogue Hex dumbbells were the same exact way...knurling all over the place...some sharp, some smooth, some pairs with one sharp and one smooth. I had a 65 that was so sharp my hand would hurt after using them. I figured these were all Chinese made dumbbells with different branding on the side, rep, rogue, etc.

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ShreddedSikh View Post
    I figured these were all Chinese made dumbbells with different branding on the side, rep, rogue, etc.
    I have heard that's the case w/ Rogue, Rep, etc.

PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PCRulesPSDrools has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had the Cemco's in my cart but decided to do a little last minute research before pulling the trigger, then they were sold out the next day, this kind of thing happened to me constantly while buying gear. Now their store is only showing full sets for sale. I really wish I'd gone with Cemco, the ones at my gym are awesome and from what I can tell, perfectly consistent. They are older Steel ones though, maybe there's would have had the same handles in 2020.

For what I paid for these I would have expected perfection,

I wonder if it's possible for a millwright to fix this? I guess the Chroming might be an issue but I almost don't care.
    Last edited by PCRulesPSDrools; 07-17-2020 at 06:30 PM.

DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dang that sux. Always wanted to splurge for a full set, but no complaints with ironmaster perfect knurling. I always wanted a Hampton gel grips set as a keep forever set. No metal contact point.

SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sorry to hear, from what I've read and understand it's a "small district" in china that primarily makes all the weights/dumbbells/gym equipment, so the main difference between the rep or rogue or other brands are quality/accuracy, and "looks". I purchased rubber hex dumbbells to complete my set years ago from again faster and knurling was fairly inconsistent, that's also the case with the hamptons I've owned as well, ranging from super sharp to like almost no knurling. Since I flip equipment, I've had my hand on alot of different rubber dumbbell variations, and knurling typically is an issue. The dumbbells I currently have "Older GP Urethane Pro Styles" Are probably some of the nicest coated dumbbells I've had with the consistent, medium knurling, and thicker handles.

SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SomeIronBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DarthCholo View Post
    Dang that sux. Always wanted to splurge for a full set, but no complaints with ironmaster perfect knurling. I always wanted a Hampton gel grips set as a keep forever set. No metal contact point.
    One issue I've come across with these is the handles overtime get "soften" to where they are mushy and just rip off and there is no replacing them. The only set I've come across that were nice were Hamptons 5-50s from a hotel gym, that probably saw very few usage anyways, but I'd say that would be comparable to your usage as well.

ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddedSikh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PCRulesPSDrools View Post
    I had the Cemco's in my cart but decided to do a little last minute research before pulling the trigger, then they were sold out the next day, this kind of thing happened to me constantly while buying gear. Now their store is only showing full sets for sale. I really wish I'd gone with Cemco, the ones at my gym are awesome and from what I can tell, perfectly consistent. They are older Steel ones though, maybe there's would have had the same handles in 2020.

For what I paid for these I would have expected perfection,

I wonder if it's possible for a millwright to fix this? I guess the Chroming might be an issue but I almost don't care.
    Probably not what you wanna hear...but something to consider. Complain to Rogue, ask for your money back. If they won't go for it see if you can sell them on CL for what you paid....then start over. I wouldn't want to have to "fix" them. I offloaded my full set thanks to Covid and don't miss it one bit.

evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000) evankyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    I spoke to someone at Rogue and they said one company makes nearly all the dumbbells. Rogue is just the name put on but it is no matter than others.

Good news for me. My 65's showed up and the knurling is good. So now I don't feel so bad. Sucks that my 55's are so smooth though, a dumbbell is for life. You really only have 2 things to consider, weight accuracy and knurling. Finish too I guess, which now that I mention it was off on the 55LB pair as well, finish looks blotchy but was good on all my other pairs.