BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Whey-free weight gainer?

Hey folks! Long and short- I can't do whey at all, it gives me absolutely horrible kidney pains regardless of the brand or type. So for years I'd usually use a substitute like egg. I want to get back into gaining but in a more cost-effective manner (I used to do it by eating as much (and then some) of food I loved which would work, but that's a $20-$30 a pop proposition, and I realized recently I can go back to weight gainers for much cheaper.) I haven't purchased a weight gainer in 20 years, no joke, so I have no idea what's good and what's out there, and, critically, what doesn't have whey in it.

I don't even know what's considered the best alternative these days: pea? egg? something new?

Anyway, your help is very much appreciated.

Oh, also, sans creatine as well if it exists.

Thanks!!!

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Weight gain doesn’t require $20-$30 food each time bottle does it require weight gain supplements.

Throw more calorie-sense foods into your existing meal rotations - Nut butters, fattier cuts of meat, whole eggs, nuts, ice cream etc. And you’ll soon pile the weight on whilst being able to control exactly how much protein, fat & carbs you’re consuming which you can’t really do with pre-made weight gainers. It’ll be cheaper and you’ll enjoy it better because you have control over what you eat and not just chugging back the same flavour liquid.
    Strong & Unstable

BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BigBrother70 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by faipdeooiad View Post
    Weight gain doesn’t require $20-$30 food each time bottle does it require weight gain supplements.

Throw more calorie-sense foods into your existing meal rotations - Nut butters, fattier cuts of meat, whole eggs, nuts, ice cream etc. And you’ll soon pile the weight on whilst being able to control exactly how much protein, fat & carbs you’re consuming which you can’t really do with pre-made weight gainers. It’ll be cheaper and you’ll enjoy it better because you have control over what you eat and not just chugging back the same flavour liquid.
    Not sure if I read the first part right, but I was planning to *replace* $20-$30 meals with $30 a month shake powder.

Re: the second part, what you describe is not feasible or practical for me right now. Due to my work/life schedule I need something dumb easy which is really either only: A) take in much more at my already occurring meals, almost always purchased outside the house (due to convenience, time, and other factors), or B) have something that takes me two seconds to make at home and gives me a shed load of calories quickly.

Even milk + banana + peanut butter + protein powder is not feasible for me right now.

So yeah, I need a shake that will replace the costly approach of basically double ordering at restaurants (which, believe it or not, actually worked fine for me as I'm about as hard a gainer as they come).

Thanks!
    Last edited by BigBrother70; 07-14-2020 at 02:21 AM.

faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigBrother70 View Post
    Not sure if I read the first part right, but I was planning to *replace* $20-$30 meals with $30 a month shake powder.

Re: the second part, what you describe is not feasible or practical for me right now. Due to my work/life schedule I need something dumb easy which is really either only: A) take in much more at my already happening meals, almost always purchased outside the house (due to convenience, time, and other factors), or B) have something that takes me two seconds to make at home and gives me a shed load of calories quickly.

Even milk + banana + peanut butter + protein powder is not feasible for me right now.

So yeah, I need a shake that will replace the costly approach of basically double ordering at restaurants (which, believe it or not, actually worked fine for me as I'm about as hard a gainer as they come).

Thanks!
    The only thing I’ve got time to reply to their is that you’re not a ‘hardgainer’, no one is. It’s a marketing term to give a ‘diagnosis’ to people who aren’t eating as much as they think they are.
    Strong & Unstable

The only thing I’ve got time to reply to their is that you’re not a ‘hardgainer’, no one is. It’s a marketing term to give a ‘diagnosis’ to people who aren’t eating as much as they think they are.
    Then please explain why I have, throughout my life, eaten more than friends 2X my size, consistently, and not gained a pound, not to mention seeing roommates eat the same thing as me night after night, right beside me, and gain 5 lbs. in half as many weeks while I remained unchanged.

Or here, go fight science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_...erences_in_BMR

Some metabolize many more calories than others. Period.

Now let's get this thread back on topic, shall we?
    Last edited by BigBrother70; 07-14-2020 at 02:05 AM.

Then please explain why I have, throughout my life, eaten more than friends 2X my size, consistently, and not gained a pound, not to mention seeing roommates eat the same thing as me night after night, right beside me, and gain 5 lbs. in half as many weeks, while I remain unchanged.
    There are too many variables but basically they’re likely burning fewer calories Off on a day to day basis, may be eating more throughout the day when you’re not by their side or may have other reasons, such as medical, for why they’re gaining weight. There are a million reasons why someone might appear to be doing better than you are.

Believe me when I say, as someone who’s worked in the supplement industry in a number of fashions over the last 10 years, ‘hardgainer’ is marketing for ‘not eating enough’.
    Strong & Unstable

There are too many variables but basically they’re likely burning fewer calories Off on a day to day basis, may be eating more throughout the day when you’re not by their side or may have other reasons, such as medical, for why they’re gaining weight. There are a million reasons why someone might appear to be doing better than you are.

Believe me when I say, as someone who’s worked in the supplement industry in a number of fashions over the last 10 years, ‘hardgainer’ is marketing for ‘not eating enough’.
    Brother you're saying the same thing as me. I KNOW I'm not eating enough. The difference between me and your average bloke is that "enough" for me is usually well over 3K calories. I know. I've been there and measured that. See the link I posted above about differences in basic metabolic rate.

I require lots of calories. More than now. Great. We all agree.

I'd like to get those in the easiest, most convenient, most affordable way possible, which in my experience is weight gainer shakes.

I need one without whey.

Can we get this back on topic now?
    Last edited by BigBrother70; 07-14-2020 at 02:26 AM.

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Am I reading this right? You're spending $20-30/meal??? WTF are you eating?

You'll have a hard time finding a gainer not using whey. The reality is that you know you need calories so, find easy calories. You can buy any protein powder and then mix table sugar with it. That's what most gainers are, protein powder and sugar of some sort.

I also think you're making things up. Not sure how whey would cause you kidney pain, but chicken or beef would not.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Originally Posted by lucia316 View Post
    Am I reading this right? You're spending $20-30/meal??? WTF are you eating?

You'll have a hard time finding a gainer not using whey. The reality is that you know you need calories so, find easy calories. You can buy any protein powder and then mix table sugar with it. That's what most gainers are, protein powder and sugar of some sort.

I also think you're making things up. Not sure how whey would cause you kidney pain, but chicken or beef would not.
    1. It's not what I'm eating, it's how much. And recall I'm not cooking at home. So, figure how much you spend on even something as cheap as an average fast food meal. Now double it, if not more. Yeah, that's how much I eat. Now you see why $20-$30 is the norm for me, especially for dinner and/or after a workout.

2. Yeah, protein powder + sugar (and maybe some fat) might be the way to go.

3. Why do people online so often jump to calling a poster a liar just because they don't understand or agree with something? Yes, yes I'm making this up for <what reason exactly?> I must just be imagining the sharp pains in my kidneys that begin about 5 mins after I consume literally anything with more than 10g-15g of whey protein added to it. Again, why am I exactly lying about this? There's so much for me to gain by it! Ah, never mind, your sig, complete with typos, explains it all.

lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. It's not what I'm eating, it's how much. And recall I'm not cooking at home. So, figure how much you spend on even something as cheap as an average fast food meal. Now double it, if not more. Yeah, that's how much I eat. Now you see why $20-$30 is the norm for me, especially for dinner and/or after a workout.
    That makes more sense.

2. Yeah, protein powder + sugar (and maybe some fat) might be the way to go.
    Whatever you want that boosts the calories. You don't even need protein powder if you're already doing well meeting your macro. Sugar, oils, nut butters, fruit, oats, chocolate sauce, whatever gets you the calories.

3. Why do people online so often jump to calling a poster a liar just because they don't understand or agree with something? Yes, yes I'm making this up for <what reason exactly?> I must just be imagining the sharp pains in my kidneys that begin about 5 mins after I consume literally anything with more than 10g-15g of whey protein added to it. Again, why am I exactly lying about this? There's so much for me to gain by it! Ah, never mind, your sig, complete with typos, explains it all.
    Why do people jump to correlations equaling causation when they don't understand something? See what I did there?

Not lying necessarily, just in your head. There is ZERO reason why whey specifically would give you kidney pain versus any other type of protein. And if protein did cause immediate and acute pain (eg. within 5 minutes) then you'd have an extreme and odd medical issue.

Digestion doesn't happen that quickly. Even with powdered food, so you drinking something and 5 minutes later you're having pain is not even possible. Especially when it's only one specific type of protein causing the issue. All protein would cause the issue if you had kidney problems and it definitely wouldn't cause it that quickly. Thus, you're making it up in your head (eg. it's psychosomatic)

There is nothing to gain by it actually, it's just a protein source. You could use anything to meet your macro. The issue here is that it's not whey causing you kidney pain. If there were kidney pain whenever you ate protein you should be talking to a doc, not randoms on the internet about weight gainers.

You not understanding the joke in my signature, and the misspelling made by the moron that made that quote, doesn't negate what I said. Did you not see it in quotations? LOL.

Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bosko has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    12 ounces of whole milk
    4 tablespoons of peanut butter
    1/2 of a cup of quick oats
    2 tablespoons of honey
    1 cup of fruit of your choice
    put in a blender(add ice as an option) and then drink it
    pretty simple
    Retired...no smartphone....no neighbors......just holes...

yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) yourinception has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Totally agree - you don't need weight gainers or similar supplements. Generally, they are very unhealthy anyway

Originally Posted by yourinception View Post
    Totally agree - you don't need weight gainers or similar supplements. Generally, they are very unhealthy anyway
    "Healthy" and "unhealthy" are subjective terms. It's just powered food. There is nothing wrong with it if someone needs help meeting their macros and caloric goals. It's not different than meeting those goals with non-powdered foods.

Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100) Darksidi is not very well liked. (-100)
    Cheap whey protein - eg Myprotein Whey
    Oats
    Milk
    Bananas
    Peanut butter Blend it all and you're done.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darksidi View Post
    Cheap whey protein - eg Myprotein Whey
    Oats
    Milk
    Bananas
    Peanut butter Blend it all and you're done.
    Do you actually read before posting?
    OP," I need a whey free shake"
    You, "Add Whey protein"
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    Do you actually read before posting?
    OP," I need a whey free shake"
    You, "Add Whey protein"
    Reds gonna red man.