sethlsams is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help with appetite and weight gain

Hello, I am 33 year old guy, skinny 150lbs 5'9" and have been trying to gain weight for a long time. Long story short, my issue is that im not consuming enough calories and protein throughout the day. I am almost never hungry which I hate. I wish I had an appetite where I want to eat several meals a day. I am pretty active with going to the gym 5 times a week mostly focused on heavy lifting. Any suggestions or tips to help me gain a better appetite and also to consume more calories. One good suggestion I had so far is someone got me to start drinking Ensure Nutrition Plus drinks which have 350 calories in a very small drink which I can drink 2-3 times a day to add some extra calories but drinking too much of those hurts my stomach. Suggestions?

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Advice is not going to change much in 5 weeks https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=178496951

Eat treat foods you enjoy. Pizza? Milkshakes? Bacon cheeseburger? Ice cream?

MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000) MessyHairWutDo is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by sethlsams View Post
    Hello, I am 33 year old guy, skinny 150lbs 5'9" and have been trying to gain weight for a long time. Long story short, my issue is that im not consuming enough calories and protein throughout the day. I am almost never hungry which I hate. I wish I had an appetite where I want to eat several meals a day. I am pretty active with going to the gym 5 times a week mostly focused on heavy lifting. Any suggestions or tips to help me gain a better appetite and also to consume more calories. One good suggestion I had so far is someone got me to start drinking Ensure Nutrition Plus drinks which have 350 calories in a very small drink which I can drink 2-3 times a day to add some extra calories but drinking too much of those hurts my stomach. Suggestions?
    Skinny meaning u have no muscles and just stomach fat? I'm like 5'8 145lbs and muscley as fuk. Make sure u dont accidentally make urself fat lol.

Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Advice is not going to change much in 5 weeks https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=178496951

Eat treat foods you enjoy. Pizza? Milkshakes? Bacon cheeseburger? Ice cream?
    This. Don't be afraid of any of these foods and make peanut butter your friend OP. I have a 3.5k+ TDEE (more on certain days) and things like peanut butter (srsly go through a couple jars per week), avocado, and cereal are lifesavers for me.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MessyHairWutDo View Post
    Skinny meaning u have no muscles and just stomach fat? I'm like 5'8 145lbs and muscley as fuk. Make sure u dont accidentally make urself fat lol.
    I have a hard time believing you’re ‘muscley as fuk’ at that weight.

Anyway, for OP, as strawng said, eat calorie dense foods...

You can even buy very dense snack bars with a lot of protein and they freakin delicious.

Or, buy some full fat Greek yogurt and mash up granola, dates, nuts, and a banana in there... could easily get 800+ calories in a bowl of that
    The power of carbs compels me!

Registered User thewindofchange's Avatar
    thewindofchange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I have a hard time believing you’re ‘muscley as fuk’ at that weight.
    Jeff Nippard looks like this 15 lbs heavier than him at 2 inches shorter and is a professional body builder, so I honestly don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. Way more things than muscle play a role in your overall weight total, like height, bone structure and water weight.. just think how martial art fighters will drop sometimes 20lbs in mere days for a weight in. I'm 5'8 myself at 165 at a very low body fat and I've lifted for 15 years. Only putting on a pound or two a year so I believe I'm close to my limit. But with that being said I have very small bone structure and was 105 lbs at the same height before I started weights. In college at 135 after my first few years of bulking, I was called ripped/jacked/muscular on the regular.

I get that those numbers seem small but if you're thinking it terms of in relation to your foundation making a jump from something like 120 lbs to 150 is adding 25% of your weight in muscle. Theoretically, that's going to visual look similar as someone 180 lbs. going to 225.
    Attached Images

jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000) jaxqen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Peanut butter
    Almonds
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Dates
    Dark chocolate
    Hard cheese
    Fatty fish
    Sweet potatoes

Bacon
    Pizza
    Donuts
    Cookies
    Cake
    More cake
    Another piece of cake

I am getting hungry right now and I just ate

Seriously now...
    1. are they any foods you like to eat? No cravings at all?
    2. you should eat 2500 calories daily if you are moderately active and want to put on muscle
    3. like Adam said, full fat greek yoghurt with banana, nuts... you can add honey, dark chocolate, syrups... go crazy.

boxnutrition is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Struggling to eat enough? Worried it’s affecting your health? Try these tricks to get your appetite back on track.

-Go for six small meals a day, not three large ones
    -Choose nutrient-rich first
    -Fortify with healthy fats
    -Start early
    -Don’t drink with meals
    -Try meal-replacement drinks
    -Up your nutrient intake
    -Tackle stress

Here are 18 of the best foods to help you gain weight or add muscle, the healthy way.

-Homemade Protein Smoothies
    -Rice
    -Nuts and Nut Butters
    -Red Meats
    -Potatoes and Starches
    -Salmon and Oily Fish
    -Protein Supplements
    -Dried Fruit
    -Milk
    -Whole-Grain Bread
    -Avocados
    -Healthy Cereals