Mrbt17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can too high water intake and too low sodium give water retention?

I am sometimes wondering if too much water and too low sodium actually can give water retention? The last few days my face has been so puffy, but last night I ate sushi and woke up and the puffiness was gone?
    Last edited by Mrbt17; 07-10-2020 at 02:13 AM.

AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sodium is just an ion that creates a concentration gradient for osmosis to happen through membranes

Excess sodium can make you retain more water by making the sodium concentration in your tissues higher, thereby drawing more water into them.

However sodium is one of many factors that influence water retention such as other ions, cortisol, blood sugar, the amount of sleep you get (which can lead to changes in these other factors) etc etc.

So it does not follow that your overall water retention is governed entirely by sodium. you can have low sodium levels and still get a puffy face. I would just chalk this up to coincidence