ry1000111 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder instability/labrum tear and surgery

Wassup haven’t really posted in a minute but I been lurkin

Anyways I didn’t know where exactly to post this as the Misc. is too busy ... I have developed a labrum tear in the back of my left shoulder due to a variety of causes, most particularly my idiotic frequency of wide grip bench over the past year in combo with already “loose” shoulder joint... did PT exercises fairly religiously since February but they don’t seem to get me to desired functioning... I.e. still have trouble keeping left scap/shoulder stable on bench because of posterior subluxation ...
    Not as much of a pain issue as it is a instability issue

I have a visit with an ortho surgeon in a bit over a week and Based on his observations and my mri it’s looking like surgery will be the verdict followed by several months of rehab

Has anyone successfully dealt with shoulder surgeries, specifically labrum repair/stabilization? Been pretty god damn depressed since this ish started, thankfully I have SSB bar to squat.

Also any tips on dealing with this BS mentally are appreciated as I am an avid power lifter and feel like there’s a huge hole in me right now (never been injured really)...

TLDR
    -OP has posterior labrum tear and instability from overuse
    -Probably getting surgery
    -looking for experiences/advice with these types of things

Cheers

sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Look in the injury sub forum under exercises. And yes, many have recovered from labrum surgery. It takes 7 months to a year post op to get back to where you were. You will be shut down lifting for 4 months.

at1024 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I went in for a similar procedure last year. I had both a SLAP tear and distal clavicle osteolysis in my left shoulder. I am not entirely sure what caused it but I have an idea as I had been having issues with that shoulder for several years. You are doing the right thing by seeing an ortho. If you are not having much pain and can otherwise function how you would like in the gym, then surgery may not be needed. However that is entirely between you and your doctor. I was able to rehab through PT and kick the can down the road a few more years. I also was not aware that I had a tear since the first doctor I saw ordered the MRI without contrast, so all it showed was tendonitis of the RC.

Luckily when I had arthroscopic surgery the tear wasn't as bad as previously thought, and the ortho was able to just clean up the area without putting any anchors in. Keep in mind I also had part of my clavicle cut off, but I was back lifting in 6 weeks and fully recovered at 6 months.