XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Optimizing my gains

Looking for opinions on optimizing my gains. I am single father of 2 and work about 50 hours a week the kids are 7 and 9 and and while i could get to the gym more often I feel it would be pretty selfish to drop them in daycare even more when they already don't get a summer and already have 12 hour days in daycare/school. I have successfully built up strength and lost about 100 pounds at the same time over the course of 1.5 years i went form about 370 to about 280 currently though I lost about 20 that i regained at the start of the pandemic due to my laziness / falling off the wagon for the first time in over a year when it started and i just got it back off hooray. While I played sports in high school and was quite strong i never really weight trained at all and Im hitting PRs at 31. TLDR still a noobie lifter big guy always cutting.

Now that's all going great but I'm getting a bit more serious about the lifting and want to make sure I'm optimizing my time. Currently I have my mom watch them on Wednesdays for my first workout and thier mom watches them on Fridays while I lift this is about their schedules and works out as my kids like that time and are not stuck in daycare so not an optimal distance in the week but at least they are not back to back days. So while I could dump them in daycare on another day in addition this I'm simply not going to do that.

What do you guys think considering even the lighter regiments are 3 day a week programs what would you do in my position. Should I add in at home workouts to supplement on like Sunday or Monday? Should I be training full body and pushing my systemic limits on the days I can get in the gym? Should I be doing the same exercises on both days to get in reps more than once a week on any given exercise? Recently I have been trying to do more in my sessions once Im there I can be there 2-3 hours no problem but I find after about 2 hours even if every muscle I want to hit isn't fatigued my system overall is just done. Is there a certain split or order of exercises i could do to squeeze more in? How much benefit would it be to add in light dumbbell work and push ups / sit ups etc from home. Mostly trying to find a way to optimize my training to fit my schedule without dumping my kids in daycare to get in more gym sessions. Also if you know of some good 2 day full body programs i would love to look at them.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would

D1
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift assistance
    Press assistance
    Upper Back
    light upper back or rear delts.

D2
    Deadlift
    Press
    Squat Assistance
    Bench Assistance
    Upper back
    Light upper back or rear delts

start lower sets, maybe even as low as 2 proper work sets a lift. Add gradually when you recover well, or when it doesn't seem enough.
    assistance movements are close variations that are generally lighter absolute load, like a 2 count pause, a stiff leg deadlift. You also could use the same movement but do speed type work, low relative intensity, high sets, high effort.

Upper back I would generally row of some kind, 3-5 sets again recovery based and how hard a row variation you choose.
    Light upper back chins, inverted rows, lat pull (band or machine). Rear delts - face pulls.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I would

D1
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift assistance
    Press assistance
    Upper Back
    light upper back or rear delts.

D2
    Deadlift
    Press
    Squat Assistance
    Bench Assistance
    Upper back
    Light upper back or rear delts

start lower sets, maybe even as low as 2 proper work sets a lift. Add gradually when you recover well, or when it doesn't seem enough.
    assistance movements are close variations that are generally lighter absolute load, like a 2 count pause, a stiff leg deadlift. You also could use the same movement but do speed type work, low relative intensity, high sets, high effort.

Upper back I would generally row of some kind, 3-5 sets again recovery based and how hard a row variation you choose.
    Light upper back chins, inverted rows, lat pull (band or machine). Rear delts - face pulls.
    Thanks for the reply this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for Ill give this a go. Follow up questions is that the order you would do the exercises in? would you even bother supplementing those 2 workouts with at home stuff during the 4 day off period ? I'm not exactly sure what the assistance variations are but ill do some youtube/ googling. Thanks man.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by XinXom View Post
    Thanks for the reply this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for Ill give this a go. Follow up questions is that the order you would do the exercises in? would you even bother supplementing those 2 workouts with at home stuff during the 4 day off period ? I'm not exactly sure what the assistance variations are but ill do some youtube/ googling. Thanks man.

generally that order, but mixing up order isn't a big deal. Feel like benching first.. go for it.

I'd maybe do general mobility work as needed, some light band work (face pulls, band pull aparts, band curls) a few times a week at home if you felt like it. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Squat assistance -
    Beltless
    Pin (at parallel)
    Pause (various
    Tempo (303, 310 510)
    High bar (if you low bar)
    Front Squat
    Safety bar (if you have access).
    Box Squat
    Barbell lunges
    etc.

Deadlift assistance
    Pause (either 0.5s for quick tech work, or 2 count for harder assistance)
    Alternate stance (sumo-conv, conv - sumo)
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift

Probably wouldn't stray much into others.

Bench Assistance -
    If you Tng then short pause, if you pause then TnG
    2+ count pause
    Chest level pin
    Close grip
    Wider grip
    Floor press
    db bench
    low incline bench

Press assistance
    Db press
    seated press
    high incline press
    Pin press
    z press
    push press

I would stick with a assistance option for 4-6 weeks before rotating
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It might be a good idea to get some adjustable dumb bells and an adjustable bench. Make a corner of your living room your own home gym. Why? Because you can work out while your kids are reading/watching tv/playing in the living room. You don't have to take them to day care, and they don't need your mom or their mom to sit them. Bench, shoulder press, rowing, arms can be done with dumb bells. You can also do goblet squats and lunges with dumb bells. I bet you can find 45-60 minutes a day, 2-3 times a week to work out at home in addition to the 2 days at the gym.

If that becomes the case, you'll need some sort of split. One with home gym exercises and one with gym gym exercises.