xhobgoblinx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lose Weight, Build Muscle, Keep Waist Size?

Hey there, couldn’t find anything online specific to my question so I thought I’d hit the forums for actual advice.

Like many guys I’m sure, I fell victim to the quarantine weight gain. I’ve always been very active and decently in shape, but when quarantine hit and the gyms closed I really let myself go. Anyways, gyms are back open and I’ve been back at it with my ole 6 day routine for the last few weeks. I’ll take the judgement as it’s definitely deserved, but I’ve lost 10lbs of the 35lbs I gained in the last few months and have also starting building back my lost muscle. One thing I noticed after gaining weight is that my lower body, now bigger, was not really fatter. I actually really enjoy my waist size where it’s at, for its still strong and seemingly more muscular than before. So my question is, is as I lose my quarantine weight and build my muscle back (and then some)..is it possible to do all that without losing any size in my waist? Due to genetics I’ve always been lucky to have a well shaped lower body, but I’ve always wanted those tree trunk legs and a bigger butt. Now that I have them, I don’t really wanna lose them. Ya know?

So if anyone has any tips on how to keep my waist size where it’s at while getting back into shape, I’m all ears!

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In theory any 'size' you might lose in a well executed cut will just be fat anyway so would be misleading you in any case. You should retain any 'size' in terms of LBM you've gained in that area. I don't know why you would want to retain any non-lean mass just for the sake of 'appearing' stronger.

If you want to focus on your waist/hips you could maybe focus more intensity on movements like deadlifts that contribute to thickness in that area

xhobgoblinx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    I don't know why you would want to retain any non-lean mass just for the sake of 'appearing' stronger.
    It’s not to “appear stronger”, that’s not my concern aha. I just like the way it looks, simple as that. Don’t wanna lose that in the process of getting my body back into shape. Everyone has a different idea of what they want their body to look like, and that’s okay aha.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you prefer having a wide waist the only two solutions are:

1) don't lose the fat. Losing fat will only make your waist narrower
    2) try and bulk up the muscles around your waist and hips (obliques, hip flexors, lower back, abs etc)

It's nothing to do with different body images, it is that the question made no sense. If you prefer to stay looking thicker and are not fussed about how that is achieved then just stop losing fat at a certain point

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    If you prefer having a wide waist the only two solutions are:

1) don't lose the fat. Losing fat will only make your waist narrower
    2) try and bulk up the muscles around your waist and hips (obliques, hip flexors, lower back, abs etc)

It's nothing to do with different body images, it is that the question made no sense. If you prefer to stay looking thicker and are not fussed about how that is achieved then just stop losing fat at a certain point
    EDIT: just read the comment about the legs and butt. If you have actually built some good mass in these places they will stay developed if you lose the fat. If you haven't (most people vastly overestimate how much of their size is lean mass) then, as a good proportion of the size is fat, they will get skinnier. If you are losing fat you will have no control over how much you lose in this area

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xhobgoblinx View Post
    Lose Weight, Build Muscle, Keep Waist Size?
    Pick 2 and forget about the third.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.