ETG2020 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chest exercise question

Hey, I have a question about my chest exercises on my second push day, where I aim to do more volume. I start off with incline DB bench since my upper chest is lagging a bit, and then I usually go to flat DB bench. But the thing is I struggle To feel the stretch in my chest on flat DB bench so I am debating switching over to the hammer strength chest press. However I’m a bit hesitant to do this because I know that it isn’t the best idea to use a machine instead of a compound exercise. If it makes a difference I also do pec deck and incline cable flies in this workout, and then in my other push day (lower rep range) I do flat barbell bench.

So my main question is would it be counterproductive to swap out flat DB bench for the hammer strength chest press

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Unless you lose strength and/or size, no, it's not counterproductive.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not necessarily but you make some incorrect assumptions, so switching may not resolve what you consider to be a problem. It also sounds like your PPL may not be very good, but just guessing.

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ETG2020 View Post
    So my main question is would it be counterproductive to swap out flat DB bench for the hammer strength chest press
    I say yes, it would be counterproductive to use the machine instead of DBs, because when you come back to DB or BB bench, you won't have developed any of the useful stabilizer muscles (rotator cuff, core) or techniques (upper back tightness, leg drive). You'll have to step way back in order to develop those things, and overall it would slow you down.

My focus is powerlifting, not bodybuilding, so that's just my approach.
    Currently running Calgary Barbell 8 Week again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1611786081&viewfull=1#post1611786081

AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do you have a similar issue with your BB press?

I used to really struggle to get a good mind-muscle connection with DB bench.

Really it comes down to form (as ECGordyn mentions) keeping your shoulder blades retracted, your shoulders depressed, core tight etc. and essentially just being able to focus the movement on your pecs.

It might be worth decreasing the weight to get this down before you progress further. I would also agree not to sub this for chest press

curiousbody81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What are good step by step procedures in chest exercise for a slim person like me?

AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by curiousbody81 View Post
    What are good step by step procedures in chest exercise for a slim person like me?
    What do you mean, as in a program or how to do the actual exercise?