AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50) AdamFrostburg will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How many calories am I burning rucking?

So I have decided to start speed/brisk walking while wearing a weighted pack.

Last week I did 6 miles while wearing a 30lb pack.

Today I did 3 miles wearing a 50lb pack. I did today's hike in less than an hour.

Approximately how many calories did I burn? How do I determine this?

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AdamFrostburg View Post
    So I have decided to start speed/brisk walking while wearing a weighted pack.

Last week I did 6 miles while wearing a 30lb pack.

Today I did 3 miles wearing a 50lb pack. I did today's hike in less than an hour.

Approximately how many calories did I burn? How do I determine this?
    I treat it as walking but as if I were a higher body weight. Once you get elevation in the mix it gets more complicated as well.

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pace, overall weight, distance, etc. Really just too many factors to give you an estimate that would be worth anything unfortunately.

If you are trying to lose weight, don't even worry about it. You aren't supposed to eat back calories from exercise to begin with. Just keep at it and keep tracking weight. It doesn't really matter how many calories it burns honestly, unless you're already just running a very large deficit.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Pace, overall weight, distance, etc. Really just too many factors to give you an estimate that would be worth anything unfortunately.

If you are trying to lose weight, don't even worry about it. You aren't supposed to eat back calories from exercise to begin with. Just keep at it and keep tracking weight. It doesn't really matter how many calories it burns honestly, unless you're already just running a very large deficit.
    ^This. The same way you prob don't worry about exactly how many calories you burn every time you lift weights.

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're really dead set on an estimate though OP, a general average of calories per mile is around 90-100 cals for a 180lb person, so use the overall weight carried to figure it, which will be body weight plus additional weights.

Still, you're likely to be massively off and it doesn't matter either way. Keep calories the same, track weight.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama