Reply
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline

    Which Program Should I Switch to?

    I've been overweight a lot of my life and recently got into better shape. I've started eating a lot healthier and working out, but realistically I probably have no idea what I'm doing.

    20 year old male, about 5'10" (181cm), 143lb (65kg) recently dropped some weight
    Diet is volatile, I need to work on it. Usually breakfast will be 3-4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs over toast. I'll try to eat canned tuna 2-3x a week. I have a protein shake after workouts and sometimes have another for breakfast or at night to get as much protein as I can. Lunch and dinner is usually something healthy-ish (sandwich, chicken) and I usually end up making more eggs and have a protein bar. I think I should be bulking, so I know I should be eating a lot more. Honestly some days I struggle to get over 1800 calories.
    Workout routine (feel free to skip past this if its trash)

    MONDAY and FRIDAY (Chest and Tris)
    - 4 sets Tricep Extention
    - 4 sets Skull Crushers
    - 4 sets Dumbell Press
    - 4 sets Dumbell Flys
    - sets of 10-15 pushups till failure (will usually get between 70-100)

    TUESDAY and SATURDAY (Shoulder and Back?)
    - 4 sets of Shoulder Press (barbell)
    - 4 sets of Arnold Press
    - 3 sets of Shrugs
    - 4 sets of Side Lateral Raise (light weight)
    - pullups till failure (can't do many, maybe 15 total)

    WEDNESDAY and SUNDAY (Arms. pls dont kill me for having a arm day)
    - 4 sets of Barbell Curls
    - 4 sets of Reverse Grip Curls
    - 4 sets of Hammer Curls
    - 3 sets of Concentration Curls

    I'll usually go on bike rides or little runs for my legs, or throw in squats on a different day to work my legs. My issue is that I only have access to a barbell (EZ grip curl bar) and dumbells. I'm starting to out grow the weight I have too, so I'll either need to join a gym or get more weight soon. Also taking creatine. I have some experience working out but not much. I have a really weak back, weaker legs, and bad posture.

    Any opinions? Im certain my routine could be heavily improved upon. I see a lot of the beginner workouts, but I also dont want to only train 3x a week. I'm not very active during the day, so working out 5-6 times a week is more appealing. I'd add pictures but Im not allowed to yet. Should I cut? Bulk? Is there a routine I should switch to? Thanks
    edit: added pictures to my profile bio (progression pics)
    Last edited by SANTAN14; 07-08-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User paulinkansas's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Posts: 1,468
    Rep Power: 7603
    paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    paulinkansas is offline
    15 sets in one day just for biceps? No rowing? Read some of the stickies up there ^^^ for programs. Maybe try the Push Pull Leg or AllPro, they are similar to what you are doing but more structured and balanced with progression.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 1,706
    Rep Power: 5280
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    Essentially, it's chest, shoulders and arms. Biking and running with the occasional squats doesn't count, imo. It's garbage.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

    Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,886
    Rep Power: 15897
    BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BeginnerGainz is online now
    No reason you can’t find a 6 day PPL online for mostly dumbbells
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Essentially, it's chest, shoulders and arms. Biking and running with the occasional squats doesn't count, imo. It's garbage.
    Yep, pretty much.
    Any routines I should try out? Or should I take off some repetitive movements and add different workouts for different areas?
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,327
    Rep Power: 4089
    air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    air2fakie is online now
    You say you have a really weak back and weaker legs, yet have no rows and nothing for legs.

    You don't want to do a novice routine because you think they have to be 3 days/week, so you do 6 days/week but still have no room for legs.

    Does only having a barbell and dbs keep you from doing rows or leg exercises? Not sure what the issue is here.

    I'd offer suggestions but pretty sure you'll have a bunch of reasons why none of them work for you.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You say you have a really weak back and weaker legs, yet have no rows and nothing for legs.

    You don't want to do a novice routine because you think they have to be 3 days/week, so you do 6 days/week but still have no room for legs.

    Does only having a barbell and dbs keep you from doing rows or leg exercises? Not sure what the issue is here.

    I'd offer suggestions but pretty sure you'll have a bunch of reasons why none of them work for you.
    I try rows but they hurt my back a lot (I cant keep my back parallel to the ground), lately i've put them into my back day but I go really light and it doesn't really burn much, just going for form.
    You're right I should add a leg day.
    I'm not trying to be an ass but im really new and obviously im going to gravitate towards movements that are easy on my body at first. Im trying to incorporate leg days in but I get terrible DOMS, and my knees click a lot when I squat or lunge. Not trying to make excuses but thats literally why I avoid those movements.
    But I'm working on stretching a lot more to help fix my APT and help with leg movements.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,327
    Rep Power: 4089
    air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    air2fakie is online now
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post
    I try rows but they hurt my back a lot (I cant keep my back parallel to the ground), lately i've put them into my back day but I go really light and it doesn't really burn much, just going for form.
    You're right I should add a leg day.
    I'm not trying to be an ass but im really new and obviously im going to gravitate towards movements that are easy on my body at first. Im trying to incorporate leg days in but I get terrible DOMS, and my knees click a lot when I squat or lunge. Not trying to make excuses but thats literally why I avoid those movements.
    But I'm working on stretching a lot more to help fix my APT and help with leg movements.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    I've seen routines with an entire biceps day before, but I don't think I've ever seen one with TWO biceps days. Even putting the No Legs aside, there's still a lot to be fixed. If it makes you feel better, many novices have their own ideas of what works best for them specifically and sometimes it's a necessary experience for them to spend some time spinning their wheels rather than be pushed in a direction that's different than the one they want to go in.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I've seen routines with an entire biceps day before, but I don't think I've ever seen one with TWO biceps days. Even putting the No Legs aside, there's still a lot to be fixed. If it makes you feel better, many novices have their own ideas of what works best for them specifically and sometimes it's a necessary experience for them to spend some time spinning their wheels rather than be pushed in a direction that's different than the one they want to go in.
    Okay, so drop the biceps day and add those workouts into a different day and adding a leg day is my first change.

    Another question I had was if there were any good chest workouts I can add that only require a barbell or dumbbells? Im having to do one side at a time since I dont have enough weight (for DB press), and I do close grip pushups. I feel like my chest isnt getting enough attention..
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User paulinkansas's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Posts: 1,468
    Rep Power: 7603
    paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    paulinkansas is offline
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post

    Another question I had was if there were any good chest workouts I can add that only require a barbell or dumbbells? Im having to do one side at a time since I dont have enough weight (for DB press), and I do close grip pushups. I feel like my chest isnt getting enough attention..
    You can do dumb bell pull overs. hits chest and back
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 1,706
    Rep Power: 5280
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post
    I feel like my chest isnt getting enough attention..
    It's this kind of thinking that resulted in you having 2 biceps days. Don't create your own program. Pick one from the stickied threads.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

    Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User mdonnelly80's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Location: Billings, Montana, United States
    Age: 40
    Posts: 703
    Rep Power: 1957
    mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000) mdonnelly80 is just really nice. (+1000)
    mdonnelly80 is offline
    1. Don't write your own program.
    2. DON'T WRITE YOUR OWN PROGRAM.
    3. Find a quality novice program from somewhere and stick to it. Those programs are up for a reason; they're tried and true.
    4. A novice program will have you "greasing the groove" and becoming more proficient at compound movements (i.e. rowing form).
    5. You're only 143lbs; you shouldn't be cutting. Read through the nutrition threads, run a clean bulk and put on some muscle.

    Honestly, you're just shooting from the hip with your programming and diet which is never a good idea.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that youre a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline
    Originally Posted by mdonnelly80 View Post
    1. Don't write your own program.
    2. DON'T WRITE YOUR OWN PROGRAM.
    3. Find a quality novice program from somewhere and stick to it. Those programs are up for a reason; they're tried and true.
    4. A novice program will have you "greasing the groove" and becoming more proficient at compound movements (i.e. rowing form).
    5. You're only 143lbs; you shouldn't be cutting. Read through the nutrition threads, run a clean bulk and put on some muscle.

    Honestly, you're just shooting from the hip with your programming and diet which is never a good idea.
    Okay, I'll shift to a program.
    Which do you recommend?
    I prefer to workout 5-6 days a week because I feel like I have enough time to do so and it would yield the best results, is that wrong to think?
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 1,706
    Rep Power: 5280
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post
    I prefer to workout 5-6 days a week because I feel like I have enough time to do so and it would yield the best results, is that wrong to think?
    Yes, it's wrong.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

    Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User paulinkansas's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Posts: 1,468
    Rep Power: 7603
    paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    paulinkansas is offline
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post
    Okay, I'll shift to a program.
    Which do you recommend?
    I prefer to workout 5-6 days a week because I feel like I have enough time to do so and it would yield the best results, is that wrong to think?
    Yes, it's wrong. It's like learning math. First you learn to count, then you learn to add and subtract, then you learn multiplication and division, then you learn algebra, then you can branch off into physics, geometry, calculus, linear programming, or statistics.

    You don't see someone learning their multiplication tables while studying algebra and calculus.

    Source: Me, I've studied them all.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User RapidFail's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 768
    Rep Power: 4718
    RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    RapidFail is offline
    Based on the equipment you have, I recommend trying out the Fierce 5 Novice Dumbbell program. Yes, it's only 3 days. You could always do some cardio on your rest days.

    If you upgrade your equipment or join a gym, then the Ripped Body 4-day novice program (upper-lower) might be a better fit for you.

    https://rippedbody.com/novice-bodybuilding-program/

    I would not recommend doing any of the 5-6 day programs - they are for intermediate to advanced lifters which is not you. You will get better, more sustainable results by starting with a novice/beginner program and sticking with it until you can no longer keep up with the progression (and by then you should be a lot stronger, and if you've been eating enough, bigger too).
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User SANTAN14's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SANTAN14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SANTAN14 is offline
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    Based on the equipment you have, I recommend trying out the Fierce 5 Novice Dumbbell program. Yes, it's only 3 days. You could always do some cardio on your rest days.

    If you upgrade your equipment or join a gym, then the Ripped Body 4-day novice program (upper-lower) might be a better fit for you.

    I would not recommend doing any of the 5-6 day programs - they are for intermediate to advanced lifters which is not you. You will get better, more sustainable results by starting with a novice/beginner program and sticking with it until you can no longer keep up with the progression (and by then you should be a lot stronger, and if you've been eating enough, bigger too).
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go with that
    After learning a little, its kinda funny how every post here is about a beginner creating their own routine. Y'all must get tired of that...
    I'm gonna go with this for a few months:

    The Dumbell Full Body Program
    Workout A
    Split Squat 3x8 (each leg)
    Bench 3x8 (If you don’t have a bench do floor press)
    DB Rows 3x8 (One arm on bench, back parallel to floor)
    Reverse Flies 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset
    Workout B
    Walking Lunge 3x8 (each leg)
    Overhead Press 3x8
    Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8 (Use single leg version when you max out your weight)
    Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups (Once you reach 3x8 begin adding weight)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

    Hopefully its a good choice
    I think beginners like me want to see huge arm, shoulder, chest gains, so we just focus on those workouts and build a routine around that. Honestly this workout doesn't even seem that appealing to me, but I know its a good start and should build a useful foundation. I have ripped friends who said they can help me in the gym, so I'll be getting a membership once the virus is gone. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Might be a dumb question but how do I split this weekly? A > B > Rest > A > B > Rest? or A > Rest > B > Rest > A > Rest > B?
    Last edited by SANTAN14; 07-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User RapidFail's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 768
    Rep Power: 4718
    RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    RapidFail is offline
    Originally Posted by SANTAN14 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go with that
    After learning a little, its kinda funny how every post here is about a beginner creating their own routine. Y'all must get tired of that...
    I'm gonna go with this for a few months:

    The Dumbell Full Body Program
    Workout A
    Split Squat 3x8 (each leg)
    Bench 3x8 (If you don’t have a bench do floor press)
    DB Rows 3x8 (One arm on bench, back parallel to floor)
    Reverse Flies 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset
    Workout B
    Walking Lunge 3x8 (each leg)
    Overhead Press 3x8
    Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8 (Use single leg version when you max out your weight)
    Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups (Once you reach 3x8 begin adding weight)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

    Hopefully its a good choice
    I think beginners like me want to see huge arm, shoulder, chest gains, so we just focus on those workouts and build a routine around that. Honestly this workout doesn't even seem that appealing to me, but I know its a good start and should build a useful foundation. I have ripped friends who said they can help me in the gym, so I'll be getting a membership once the virus is gone. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Might be a dumb question but how do I split this weekly? A > B > Rest > A > B > Rest? or A > Rest > B > Rest > A > Rest > B?
    Pretty sure it spells it out for you in the thread. As it's a full body routine, you should ideally have a rest day between every workout. Mon-Wed-Fri is popular. You do three workouts per week, alternating between A and B, ie:

    Week 1 - A, rest, B, rest, A, rest, rest.
    Week 2 - B, rest, A, rest, B, rest, rest.

    Feel free to do some cardio on your rest days.
    Last edited by RapidFail; 07-10-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,886
    Rep Power: 15897
    BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BeginnerGainz is online now
    Too many people new to lifting only seem to care about that tiny little muscle in the upper part of their arm. Pity.

    OP I’m not gonna repeat why everyone else already said, other than that I’m in complete agreement with them.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 07-10-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts