georockgal is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein consumption

My meal plan has me eating two meals w 55g protein. Been told by some that the body can only absorb 35g and the rest goes to waste, and others say that’s a myth and it just takes longer to process 55g. I’m doing intermittent fasting, two meals w 55g of protein each meal (plus other macros). So which is it?

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by georockgal View Post
    My meal plan has me eating two meals w 55g protein. Been told by some that the body can only absorb 35g and the rest goes to waste, and others say that’s a myth and it just takes longer to process 55g. I’m doing intermittent fasting, two meals w 55g of protein each meal (plus other macros). So which is it?
    The protein will not be "wasted". Protein is utilized by the body in many ways, not just building muscle. Any excess will be used for energy, albeit inefficiently, converted to carbohydrate, etc.

However, there is evidence to suggest in respect to protein synthesis that you may be better off spacing it between 3-4 meals. Tends to stimulate protein synthesis more often and more optimally. This could definitely be a benefit if you're looking to build.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lambo2579 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would rather consume more and the body waste excess than consume less and body still waste...
    Left handed manlet with a C&C permit from Georgia

CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50) CPancer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    The protein will not be "wasted". Protein is utilized by the body in many ways, not just building muscle. Any excess will be used for energy, albeit inefficiently, converted to carbohydrate, etc.

However, there is evidence to suggest in respect to protein synthesis that you may be better off spacing it between 3-4 meals. Tends to stimulate protein synthesis more often and more optimally. This could definitely be a benefit if you're looking to build.
    Best response on here,

+ I personally also try to consume sources of casein proteins for the last meal of the day so that my body digests them slowly through the night.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by georockgal View Post
    For muscle building and retention 3 meals with 35 grams protein will be slightly better than 2 meals with 55.

Nicksosure explained it well.

alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alriva37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The protein isn't wasted so much as its not being used optimally. If you were to space out the protein, it would be more optimal and you would probably see better results. However, depending on your level of advancement it might not even be necessary for you to do so. Honestly if IF works for you and you're happy with your rate of progression then I wouldn't change a thing.