adam6798 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny fat - 174lb and 25-30% body fat - I don't know how to fix this

I'm male, 37 years old (I don't know why my profile says 50), I'm 174lb (12st 6), I'm 5'11 in height and from looking at example pictures on the internet I would estimate that my bodyfat percentage is somewhere between 25-30%. I'm weak and if I stand sideways and let my stomach go I look pregnant.
    I've wanted to fix this problem all of my life and I have lifted weights on and off but never made progress due to losing motivation.

About a month ago I decided to have one last go at fixing myself (at my age it feels as though I have to do it now).

I'm working out in my garage with a squat rack, bench and free weights, doing a basic push/pull/legs, doing each twice a week.
    I am currently eating above maintenance, up to 300 calories above (at least according to my estimates/calculations which could be wrong).
    I've been doing this for just over a month, my lifts are increasing, I can feel muscle building on my shoulders, arms, back, legs, everywhere really.

My problem is that when I look in the mirror all I see is fat and it demotivates me. I feel like I'm making progress but then I let my stomach go in the mirror and suddenly I feel like I've made no progress. I keep thinking maybe I should cut and get rid of this fat, but I have nothing to cut to. But maybe I could cut and rely on newbie muscle gains to get some extra muscle while shedding the fat too?

The other part of the problem is that I've just measured my belly and it's 40 inches - according to medical information I've seen that's the borderline where health issues start to escalate.
    Should I to cut at least enough to get my belly down to a safer measurement before carrying on with my slight calorie surplus? Will my belly ever reduce unless I do a cut?
    Or should I just plough on with my current calorie surplus and forget these negative thoughts and hope that over time my body starts to take shape and the belly reduces?

I've read so much about all of this stuff and I feel as though I understand my options but it seems like I'm screwed whichever course I take...I cut to nothing or carry on building but keep my 40 inch belly.

I'm currently reading up on body recomposition but I don't want to keep switching, I need a plan and stick to it.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?

(Just to reiterate, even though I say my belly is 40 inches and that I am maybe 25-50% bodyfat, I just look skinny)

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is no reason to be bulking at 25 to 30 percent body fat. Your intuition is correct, you need to drop body fat. If you want a good easy number to shoot for, try to get your waist measurement under half your height.

At 5 foot 11, or 71 inches you should shoot for a waist measurement of 35.5 inches. It's not a set in stone measurement but something good to aim for.

Continue to lift weights while you do this but dropping body fat should be your main goal at this point.
    IG @ JustShaneinGa

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Work on losing the fat but keep lifting to stress your muscle mass to insure that most of the weight lost is from fat and not from lean tissue.

Figure out your maintenance calories and aim for a deficit of about 500 calories/day below that to start losing roughly one pound per week. At the same time, start a proven weight training program for beginners like Stronglifts or Fierce Five and follow it to the letter. Do that consistently for the next six months and you should look a lot better overall.

And don't let "age" be an excuse for not getting it done. This is a comparison of me from 6.5 years ago (when I was 48) vs. today ...

It takes work but it can be done.
    Last edited by Luclin999; 08-16-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    There is no reason to be bulking at 25 to 30 percent body fat. Your intuition is correct, you need to drop body fat. If you want a good easy number to shoot for, try to get your waist measurement under half your height.

At 5 foot 11, or 71 inches you should shoot for a waist measurement of 35.5 inches. It's not a set in stone measurement but something good to aim for.

Continue to lift weights while you do this but dropping body fat should be your main goal at this point.
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice, it is helping me to refocus - I agree now the fat has to be the first thing to focus on. Having that goal in mind of 35.5 inches sounds useful.
    My main issue with the idea of cutting was always that all of my fat is on my belly and is pretty much hidden when I hold it in...what will the rest of me look like as I lose fat...I can only hope that working as hard as I can in the gym will counteract some of that.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Work on losing the fat but keep lifting to stress your muscle mass to insure that most of the weight lost is from fat and not from lean tissue.

Figure out your maintenance calories and aim for a deficit of about 500 calories/day below that to start losing roughly one pound per week. At the same time, start a proven weight training program for beginners like Stronlifts or Fierce Five and follow it to the letter. Do that consistently for the next six months and you should look a lot better overall.

And don't let "age" be an excuse for not getting it done. This is a comparison of me from 6.5 years ago (when I was 48) vs. today ...

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll try the deficit and will look at stronglifts. I mostly started doing my push/pull/legs routine because it was very similar to a pretty easy split that I'd already done in the past, i.e. back/biceps, chest/shoulder/tri, legs.

You look as though you started with more of a muscle base than I have, but hopefully I can do something similar, that's a pretty impressive transformation.

TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TooTallOver40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ive been in your situation for most of my life (im 42, 6ft 5 and 174pounds)
    maybe not as high bodyfat but all sticking on tummy (20 years of bad food and cardio) im still battling!

Ive decided to go for losing fat instead of bulking, i figure people already think im
    skinny and i would rather that then fat, but bare in mind if anything like me the amount you might be surprised how much you have to lose, ive been doing weights three times a week and walking a fair amount and 95% clean, lost 21 pounds in 14 weeks but still nowhere near anything like abs! Not sure how long i will keep going before eating more but at least this way ive got a handle on eating clean, counting calories and getting form ok for weights...assuming with that base it will mean when I (slow!) bulk it will benefit me, but also assume it might be cut/bulk 3 or 4 times to get where i want.

Dont go all out right away or might not be sustainable, i make small tweaks to improve diet every couple of weeks and i dont know anyone as picky an eater as me!

I seem to bloat, so im researching that next, maybe increase fibre

To summarise im pretty much planning on sticking to same workouts and just amending food intake (while tracking fat/carbs/protein) so effectively not switching much, but eating clean and not a lot is much easier than 3,500+ clean which i think i will eventually need.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by adam6798 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll try the deficit and will look at stronglifts. I mostly started doing my push/pull/legs routine because it was very similar to a pretty easy split that I'd already done in the past, i.e. back/biceps, chest/shoulder/tri, legs.

You look as though you started with more of a muscle base than I have, but hopefully I can do something similar, that's a pretty impressive transformation.
    Stronglifts is fun when run the first time if you've never done that kind of thing before. It's also convenient because it has a free app and *at first* the workouts are really quick. Fun+Convenient+Quick (initially) is a great combination because your reason to not achieve before was "...lifted weights on and off but never made progress due to losing motivation..."
    Even though you've lifted recently I'd suggest you start from absolute minimum (empty bar on squat, bench, ohp, 30kg pendlay, 40kg deadlift). The difficult but will be NOT doing extra sessions or adding extra exercises (except a small amount of pullups and jogging, which I recommend you add, otherwise do EXACTLY AS WRITTEN). Part of this will be frustrating as you'll want to do more (it won't feel even close to enough, in first weeks), but this frustration is good as it should drive you to continue to train.
    Eat sensibly, more fresh vegetables (sorry), eat at maintenance

Pace yourself for ultra long term, inconsistency was the problem and that's what you must defeat, not a question of which particular diet or program is theoretically "optimal"

Enjoy...
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Bodyweight 73kg (20/09/2020)

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Should I to cut at least enough to get my belly down to a safer measurement before carrying on with my slight calorie surplus? Will my belly ever reduce unless I do a cut?
    Or should I just plough on with my current calorie surplus and forget these negative thoughts and hope that over time my body starts to take shape and the belly reduces?
    At a 40 in. waistline, cutting should be your main focus. At your level of training, you should be able to gain muscle while in a deficit.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000) xTeTe is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with others that you should run a deficit and with what you do eat, making sure it's the right food. Newbie gains are a wonderful thing but you have to eat the high protein foods to fuel that muscle growth. You lose that "skinny" look while cutting your body fat.
    Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Thanks for all of the comments, you've definitely put me down the correct path.
    I created this thread about 6 weeks ago and I have been consistently losing 1lb a week (from 174lb to 168lb).

For the first 4 weeks I was also consistently increasing my lifts but I feel as though I've stalled quite a bit now. I'm mostly just pushing for extra reps rather than adding weight and in some cases I'm not managing it.

I guess I should just continue pushing for very slow progress in reps/weight while losing the weight...

I know this is normal on a deficit, but would you expect this to happen to a complete beginner only 4/5 weeks into a cut?

I'm also wondering what body fat percentage you think I should aim for before considering increasing calories above maintenance (someone above mentioned getting the belly measurement down to 35.5 inches first)?

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I'm also wondering what body fat percentage you think I should aim for before considering increasing calories above maintenance (someone above mentioned getting the belly measurement down to 35.5 inches first)?
    At 5' 11", a 35"+ waist would still be up over 20%-25% BF.

You probably need to look at getting your waist down closer to 30"-31" before considering an actual "bulk" cycle.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RTB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Figure out your maintenance calories and aim for a deficit of about 500 calories/day below that to start losing roughly one pound per week. At the same time, start a proven weight training program for beginners like Stronglifts or Fierce Five and follow it to the letter. Do that consistently for the next six months and you should look a lot better overall.

(IMG snipped)

Wow! That's an incredible change...very impressive. I've seen your fat loss log (which is great) but you know what they say about photos being a thousand words. Damn good work, and shows what even us "old" guys are capable of!

You probably need to look at getting your waist down closer to 30 to 31"

Have to admit I'm a bit confused about waist measurements.
    The jeans I wear are all 32" waist but my hips (by my measurement with a tape measure), where my jeans would usually sit, is 37" and my waist/belly measurement (by my measurement with a tape measure) at it's largest point is now 39".
    I'm starting to think there is something fundamentally wrong in the way I'm measuring...I just have one of those tailors measuring tapes, wrapping it all the way around me to measure circumference.

Also, if I suck everything in to an inhuman level I can only get my belly measurement down to around 35", 30" doesn't seem humanly possible (even though I'm not far off 30" in trouser size).

I guess when you say getting down to 30/31", you're talking about trouser (pants) size?

Registered User Eternalstuden79's Avatar
    Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Eternalstuden79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So no one wares their trousers round their waist we wear them under the waist and over the hips. And if you are a bit bored measure your trousers. My levi 29inch were closer to 32 when they were new.

For reference arnie was a 32 inch when competing.

The pics on my progress profile are currently me at 35inch waist. I would not consider eating at a surplus at this size.

https://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/p...en79/104994542

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know this is normal on a deficit, but would you expect this to happen to a complete beginner only 4/5 weeks into a cut?

Try not to get overly focused on details. You are doing a good thing here by training consistently. Good Job.

1) You are weight training

2) You are losing weight

At some point continue with #1 and stop #2. There is no harsh penalty for making small errors. In fact you need to have confidence making small errors in order to learn and grow. Don't gain or lose too much weight too quickly and keep training.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Waist measurements are typically taken at the mid-point between top of hip bone and bottom of the rib cage. Basically the narrowest part (about an inch above the belly button).

That said, the important things for tracking progress is to be consistent with your measurements so try to measure in the same place month after month. If you have only been logging measurements say, over your belly button, then so be it. Keep doing that.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The jeans I wear are all 32" waist but my hips (by my measurement with a tape measure), where my jeans would usually sit, is 37" and my waist/belly measurement (by my measurement with a tape measure) at it's largest point is now 39".
    I'm starting to think there is something fundamentally wrong in the way I'm measuring...I just have one of those tailors measuring tapes, wrapping it all the way around me to measure circumference.
    Once upon a time, waist size in inches = pants size. But for a couple of decades now, clothing companies have been adjusting the waist size scaling upwards because of increasing obesity rates and because men are very resistant to buying a higher number than what they have always bought.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pondman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At 5 ft 11 inches and 174 pounds, you need more muscle. Forget about all the bro talk. Eat the protein and lift weights. Your body composition will change, because your muscle % will increase. If you cut you'll look like a skeleton, because you have little muscle.