menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Tuning your car - good or bad idea?

I've got one year left on my warranty but i'm itching to get a tune. it'll add another 100hp and 140tq from just software, no boltons required. the rs3 is already a quick car, but adding triple digits from a 30 min tune is so tempting at $1,300.

i'm not sure if it's worthwhile to throw away my warranty just to go faster. thoughts?

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd send it.

Doesn't VW/Audi let you keep warranty if you get APR tune from dealer?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.

sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000) sumolgi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've been wondering if a tune actually does negate a warranty given the Magnuson Moss Warranty act. It's more for after market parts but it does say the manufacturer has to prove the after market part caused a failure to void the warranty. I don't see a tune as a cause for failure but manufacturers and lawyers...

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sumolgi View Post
    I've been wondering if a tune actually does negate a warranty given the Magnuson Moss Warranty act. It's more for after market parts but it does say the manufacturer has to prove the after market part caused a failure to void the warranty. I don't see a tune as a cause for failure but manufacturers and lawyers...
    Not many people have the money to pursue it legally.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.

Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Krackerjacked has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do it
    Sloots Gon Sloot.

FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFailed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't semi recently VW/Audi start flagging all tuned cars that came in? Along time ago I had a '08 GTI I sent in for warranty work and wasn't bothered at all while it was stage 2+. The RS3 is pretty stout though is it not? With just a tune you'll probably be fine

nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by menseks View Post
    Tuning your car - good or bad idea?
    Depends on the car. Some are overbuilt and detuned. Pretty much anything that can be tuned will have a big car forum presence. Look up the reliability and if its good, go for it.

You get +100HP and +125TQ in the RS7. I did this 60,000 miles ago and drive the piss out of it. The car has never been in the garage.
    Eat in a deficit to lose weight.
    Hit your protein and fat minimums to stay healthy and keep your gainz.
    Lift heavy and do HIIT to look and feel awesome.
    Use the internet to learn why you should do these things and how to do these things.

menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) menseks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FFailed View Post
    Didn't semi recently VW/Audi start flagging all tuned cars that came in? Along time ago I had a '08 GTI I sent in for warranty work and wasn't bothered at all while it was stage 2+. The RS3 is pretty stout though is it not? With just a tune you'll probably be fine
    yea, i think the flag is "TD1". i don't think i have an issue with the engine, it's the tranny that i'm having 2nd thoughts on. with increased torque and clamping force, i don't know how long clutches will last or how the tranny will handle it.

KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KilaByte has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    yea, i think the flag is "TD1". i don't think i have an issue with the engine, it's the tranny that i'm having 2nd thoughts on. with increased torque and clamping force, i don't know how long clutches will last or how the tranny will handle it.
    Do it. My buddy did the e85 tune on his RS3, no issues at 500awhp
    Me caveman, put round things on bar, lift, pound chest.

2jz, S55

nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nosirrahx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are not willing to deal with the potential fallout from TD1, don't tune. You have to pay to play and stuff breaking while under TD1 is on the table. There are ways around getting flagged when you come in for service but if you break down on the side of the road you are probably screwed.
    Eat in a deficit to lose weight.
    Hit your protein and fat minimums to stay healthy and keep your gainz.
    Lift heavy and do HIIT to look and feel awesome.
    Use the internet to learn why you should do these things and how to do these things.

yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000) yabbayabba is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nosirrahx View Post
    If you are not willing to deal with the potential fallout from TD1, don't tune. You have to pay to play and stuff breaking while under TD1 is on the table. There are ways around getting flagged when you come in for service but if you break down on the side of the road you are probably screwed.
    If you aren't willing to eat the cost of replacing the engine or tranny yourself then don't bother. Your still going to have this tune well after the warranty has expired so it will always be a lingering issue. Having said that, VW/Audi seem to do a pretty good at making pretty stout engines that can take quite a bit more power then what is stock. As a personal aside, I'd be weary of a tune giving 100 HP if it is upping boost by quite a bit (if that's how your tune would work). Unless the bottom end is built nothing takes you to snap city faster than a lot of boost.

When I still took my GLI to the dealer I always told them the car was tuned and they never seemed to car. I never had anything done other than warranty or recall stuff so who knows what they would have said if something major had came up.

Transracial gigaTyrone elterrible987's Avatar
    elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I did a unitronic tune on my GTI while under warranty and its now past warranty, no problems yet. There was a tune for the DCT transmission as well that changes the shift points and clutch force that I got with it.

People have put on the bigger turbo from the R on the same engine so Im well below what others have done so not super worried about it.

I dont really floor it all that often but the performance per dollar ratio was too good to pass up.

You get so much for your money with it that I think its worth the risk. I would pick a tune level that is a bit below the more common higher end tunes so that atleast you have a factor of safety. If people are doing 120hp stage 2 tunes and usually not having problems then I think a stage 1 100hp tune would be worth it while keeping risk at a reasonable level.

Transracial gigaTyrone elterrible987's Avatar
    elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) elterrible987 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jax05 View Post
    I'd send it.

Doesn't VW/Audi let you keep warranty if you get APR tune from dealer?

I think it is in a weird grey zone area. Dealers will try their best to get you warranty repairs but the decision is ultimately corporate VW and I think the "warranty gaurantee" is more of a dealer level promise. I dont believe VW/Audi has ever endorsed it. The dealer has to send off whatever information corporate wants and if thats a scan that can detect a TD1 flag then you could be denied if you blow your turbo/engine.

Originally Posted by sumolgi View Post

Its not really an issue if your weather stripping or something fails, it doesnt void the entire warranty. But they are talking about big money repairs for a blown turbo or destroyed engine where it would be an issue. Also for example the initial MK7 GTI 2015 model year had some problems with some turbos blowing that were completely stock. Maybe you got a bad turbo but if you also were tuned they could deny it with no real way to prove if it would have failed anyways at stock pressures.

There was all kinds of stories on forums with not really an official answer ever on what the td1 flag does, because some tunes you can uninstall them and flash stock ECU software back on but then people are saying that the TD1 flag is a flash counter that can tell if youve ever messed with it. I would be worried about even something like electrical faults if VW would argue that since you messed with the software and sent code through the obd2 port you violated the integrity of all their electrical systems.

Originally Posted by elterrible987 View Post
    I did a unitronic tune on my GTI while under warranty and its now past warranty, no problems yet. There was a tune for the DCT transmission as well that changes the shift points and clutch force that I got with it.

People have put on the bigger turbo from the R on the same engine so Im well below what others have done so not super worried about it.

I dont really floor it all that often but the performance per dollar ratio was too good to pass up.

You get so much for your money with it that I think its worth the risk. I would pick a tune level that is a bit below the more common higher end tunes so that atleast you have a factor of safety. If people are doing 120hp stage 2 tunes and usually not having problems then I think a stage 1 100hp tune would be worth it while keeping risk at a reasonable level.
    yup. looking at the unitronic stg 1+ tune. it requires TCU stg 2 tune with it which increases the clamp and shift points.

i think 100hp is insanely good, yet reasonable. guys are making 6-700hp. but the 140ft-lb seems a little wonky. the DQ500 tranny is rated for 600nm and we're past that at 496ft-lb after the tune.