Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Making your own bread?......what is concesus here?

Howdy....

Well....since living here in the heart land there are a few things that we miss coming from the bay area/California.
    One of them is a great loaf of sour dough....I could damn near live off sourdough/brie cheese/Sam Adams...you get the idea.
    I've found absolutely NO sour dough out here.
    What is available is typical white air bread in a sour dough configuration....guess that is supposed to fool us.

Seems to me the bread maker is surely the way to go.
    Much less time involved as you put in the ingredients, let the machine do it's thing and just wait the obligatory 4-5 hours. (just a guess)
    My wife doesn't mind tackling the process but I do want to make it easy in the preparation sense.

Anyone her making their own and satisfied with the outcomes?

What machine would you endorse with confidence? (I haven't checked the buckaroo factor yet)
    EDIT: holy shvt...they can be 200-300 bucks.....but, seems to me one might get what they pay for in this context.

Or...what the process more of a PITA and the bread maker ended up being another bulky, novelty kitchen device that takes up too much real estate.

Thanks to any that chime in and of course I'm glad to green anyone that I can.

A good day to all....
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 07-07-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes...well, my son (14) does for the family. It's his thing to contribute to meals among other things.

He specializes in baguettes which is great since we eat them with everything. Sometimes he'll make loafs of them and we'll slice them up and make sandwiches.

it's a great thing. Especially with the downtime we've been having, it's allowed him to perfect his craft. And we all get to benefit.
    OEF/OIF/OIR Vet (2007-2013)
    I Keep My Kicks Clean Crew
    SF 49ers Crew
    LA Lakers Crew

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I made bread once, soda bread to be exact. No bread machine, the old fashioned way. It was so good that fresh warm bread with that fresh bread smell, that I ate the whole phuking thing in one session. I never made bread after that, it's dangerous to my waistline.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like making bread from scratch. See my famous food thread (all donations go to a good cause).

I still buy good whole wheat, but I make bread for family gatherings and for the therapy.

Wayne, bread makers are fine. But, if you want the challenge and loads of fun, buy a standing mixer and watch some bread making YouTube videos. There are about 1.4 billion of them.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Doza.....

Sheesh...he's only 14 and baking homemade bread!
    You did something right.
    Ahhh...."baguettes"....love 'em.

Hey Flex....(on spread)
    Just checked the "Zojirushi" brand.....pricey muthers, but if that's what making a great loaf of home made bread requires I'd bite that bullet.
    Oh...let me know how that first loaf of sourdough comes out.
    If your bread maker scowls at you reminding her to try that option you can blame it on me.

Sy....(on spread)
    Ha...I hear you.
    Sour dough is like carbo-kryptonite for me too.
    So....you chose NOT to share it....good choice.

Thanks amigos....
    Original music:

"One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great thread idea Wayne, one I can sink my teeth into. I will be following to get any tips.

I grew up with homemade bread being baked twice weekly, no bread makers back in those days, grabbing a huge bun while it's still hot and slathering it with butter is just friggin awesome. Another meal that was made, was grabbing some dough while it was rising, shaping it into a doughnut shape and frying it in a cast iron frying pan, pouring molasses or syrup on it. That was amazing as well. I know very little about sourdough, I know I like it. An old friend of mine a trapper, used to make sourdough bread in a cast iron dutch oven, he would often make a double batch and bring me a loaf. It was the weirdest thing, he kept a container on his shelf and in it he had this stuff he called a starter, it was dry, he would break a piece off and put it in water bringing it back to life he called it. then in a day or so he would make the bread. It kind of creeped me out and I was hesitant to try it at first, but when I did, damn that stuff was good, great toasted.

Now days I eat store bought bread, except when I am in the bush, I make no knead bread in my dutch oven, I should be doing it at home, but I'm too lazy I guess lol

Enjoy your day Wayne and all who visit.

Talk me into getting a bread maker lol They have to be easy to clean, that's a rule I have about kitchen appliances.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    Great thread idea Wayne, one I can sink my teeth into. I will be following to get any tips. 1) Enjoy your day Wayne and all who visit.
    2) Talk me into getting a bread maker lol They have to be easy to clean, that's a rule I have about kitchen appliances.
    MTP....(on spread)
    1) Will do
    2) That's kind of what I'm soliciting too....I'll await being 'talked into' it.
    Yep....easy to clean and close to effortless prep time....I'll pay for those options.

MarkIT....(on spread)
    Yes....I've just started perusing YT bread making videos and they are countless ones out there.
    But, for me....I'll defer that process to my far better half.
    She's game to do it so I'll do the research.

Be well.....smell the bread.
    Original music:

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    Howdy....

Well....since living here in the heart land there are a few things that we miss coming from the bay area/California.
    One of them is a great loaf of sour dough....I could damn near live off sourdough/brie cheese/Sam Adams...you get the idea.
    I've found absolutely NO sour dough out here.
    What is available is typical white air bread in a sour dough configuration....guess that is supposed to fool us.

Seems to me the bread maker is surely the way to go.
    Much less time involved as you put in the ingredients, let the machine do it's thing and just wait the obligatory 4-5 hours. (just a guess)
    My wife doesn't mind tackling the process but I do want to make it easy in the preparation sense.

Anyone her making their own and satisfied with the outcomes?

What machine would you endorse with confidence? (I haven't checked the buckaroo factor yet)
    EDIT: holy shvt...they can be 200-300 bucks.....but, seems to me one might get what they pay for in this context.

Or...what the process more of a PITA and the bread maker ended up being another bulky, novelty kitchen device that takes up too much real estate.

Thanks to any that chime in and of course I'm glad to green anyone that I can.

A good day to all....
    When I had a bread maker, I found that it really didn't save that much work as compared to mixing the dough by hand and putting it in the bread pan. OK, I was less likely to make disastrous mistakes, but that's part of learning the skill anyway. Doing it by hand allowed me to be more creative and practice different mixes.

I'd be making bread now, but my wife doesn't eat it, and frankly I eat a lot less than I used to.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    When I had a bread maker, I found that it really didn't save that much work as compared to mixing the dough by hand and putting it in the bread pan. OK, I was less likely to make disastrous mistakes, but that's part of learning the skill anyway. I'd be making bread now, but my wife doesn't eat it, and frankly I eat a lot less than I used to.
    Hey ER....(on spread)

Well...my wife will be the one doing it so I'd want to do the bread maker thing provided it meets my 'ease of prep' factor.
    If you were making it with the bread maker was that some time ago?....like during the Pleistocene Epoch? (with levity)
    If so, I'm guessing the bread makers have had some significant advancements so it's not so involved....but, that's just a guess.

I hear you...I guess many are getting away from bread for what ever health reasons.
    Me...barring any specific food related health considerations, I'm too damn old (73) to give up some my preferred culinary joys in life....bread is just one of them.

Thanks for chiming in....
    Original music:

doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) doza808 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Doza.....

Sheesh...he's only 14 and baking homemade bread!
    You did something right.
    Ahhh...."baguettes"....love 'em.
    yeah, we have some close friends that are french and shared their family recipe. Huge win for us. He's been making it every month or so for the past couple of years. Pretty simple recipe but it's all about the way it's prepped. he's got it down pat now. doesn't even need to look at the recipe anymore.
    OEF/OIF/OIR Vet (2007-2013)
    I Keep My Kicks Clean Crew
    SF 49ers Crew
    LA Lakers Crew

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "It's got three speeds...."

Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61

Originally Posted by doza808 View Post
    yeah, we have some close friends that are french and shared their family recipe. Huge win for us. He's been making it every month or so for the past couple of years. Pretty simple recipe but it's all about the way it's prepped. he's got it down pat now. doesn't even need to look at the recipe anymore.
    Cool....
    It appears he's spoiled all of you with this talent he's acquired.
    If he does a YT video tutorial do let me know....then I'll inform my wife.

(just noticed....respect to you for serving)
    Original music:

Originally Posted by ajdahlheimer View Post
    "It's got three speeds...."
    Ha....(on spread)

Three on the tree?....it's been a long time since I've driven one.

(No hijack intended)
    Original music:

eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eomrat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have one. My wife is from Utah and is a boss at making bread. A very dangerous device in my opinion. It is quite easy to consume 900 calories of homemade bread.
    RWGFY

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shytheads"
    - COL Charles Beckwith

Registered User charlievanriper's Avatar
    charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    been making Sourdough, sprouted grain bread, and other flavored breads for yrs, love good healthy bread, its a staple of all my meals. Sorry cant reccomend a machine as Niether my wife nor I use one, we bake from scratch in our oven...
    Officially 65yrs old, Beef eating Conservative, Trump Loving Anti-Abortion Anti-Liberal, Pro Israel Christian MAN IF YOU don't like it or me SCREW YOU, I DON'T CARE. I lift heavy ass weight w/o the use of DRUGS / TRT or ANY unnatural assistance, I Own & Support Gun Ownership

"FUC JOE BIDEN & ALL DEMOCRATS, SCHUMER IS A TRAITOR. TRUMP 2024"

*Current Weight & Thread w/ Video's*
    Weight / 185.6
    [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179727593[/url]

Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    I have one. My wife is from Utah and is a boss at making bread. A very dangerous device in my opinion. It is quite easy to consume 900 calories of homemade bread.
    Ha....I've thought about that aspect.

Therefore....I'll have to plan accordingly.
    When I've finished up the first loaf (solo) she'll have to have another cooled to room temp for sharing purposes.

Hope all is well....

(on spread)
    Original music:

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not had a bread maker but wondered about getting one, but what I'd really like if I had any spare space would be a old fashioned mixer with a dough hook attachment. Only tried to make bread twice and my kneeding is no good because the weight and texture was bad. The bread was edible but not a pleasure to eat

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey ER....(on spread)

Well...my wife will be the one doing it so I'd want to do the bread maker thing provided it meets my 'ease of prep' factor.
    If you were making it with the bread maker was that some time ago?....like during the Pleistocene Epoch? (with levity)
    If so, I'm guessing the bread makers have had some significant advancements so it's not so involved....but, that's just a guess.

I hear you...I guess many are getting away from bread for what ever health reasons.
    Me...barring any specific food related health considerations, I'm too damn old (73) to give up some my preferred culinary joys in life....bread is just one of them.

Thanks for chiming in....
    Oh yeah, at least 20 years ago. I guess they've improved since then?

I started baking my own bread way back in the 1970's while I was still in the Navy, mostly out of curiosity. Turned out I really enjoyed it. I played with a lot of different flour recipes, a lot of scratch ingredients. Some of it was catastrophic, but a lot of it was delicious!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Registered User charlievanriper's Avatar
    charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Not had a bread maker but wondered about getting one, but what I'd really like if I had any spare space would be a old fashioned mixer with a dough hook attachment. Only tried to make bread twice and my kneeding is no good because the weight and texture was bad. The bread was edible but not a pleasure to eat
    I bought Crystal a full kitchenaide blender with pasta maker and meat grinder, about 8 or 9 years ago I think she had to show me how to use it but once she did bread pstries thier not to difficult anymore, lots of fun making stuff at home. Ive become not only a pretty good cook but baker as well lol
    Officially 65yrs old, Beef eating Conservative, Trump Loving Anti-Abortion Anti-Liberal, Pro Israel Christian MAN IF YOU don't like it or me SCREW YOU, I DON'T CARE. I lift heavy ass weight w/o the use of DRUGS / TRT or ANY unnatural assistance, I Own & Support Gun Ownership

"FUC JOE BIDEN & ALL DEMOCRATS, SCHUMER IS A TRAITOR. TRUMP 2024"

*Current Weight & Thread w/ Video's*
    Weight / 185.6
    [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179727593[/url]

Mr Flexy's Happy Protg LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Breadmakers have really jumped in price and are difficult to find right now. My Zojirushi is on the blink - it's fine for making dough but it isn't cooking the bread thoroughly, so I looked for a new one and could only find one at William Sonoma for over $400. It seems everyone has turned to breadmaking during the pandemic!

I really liked my Zojirushi (and I hear Breville is excellent as well), but I also had a pretty inexpensive Sunbeam that lasted me for years too and it was fine. I will say that the Zojirushi is heavy and large. It fits under my kitchen island, and I can certainly lift it, but I doubt that an elderly person could. And, the machine is tall. I use it on my countertop and have to stand on tiptoes to see into it and to read the display.

I am in no rush to replace it. I think I use my stand mixer (Mr Flexy bought me a Cuisinart that I LOVE!) or my arms more than I do the breadmaker now. The machine is convenient if you are short on time: you set it and walk away for a few hours, or, you can set it and put it on a timer so that you have fresh bread when you get home from work.

Before the pandemic I was working from home 80-90% of the time, so I'm not sure I need another machine. When I work from home, I can make the dough in the stand mixer at lunch time, and let it rise while I work the afternoon. Dinner rolls, hoagy buns, sausage/hotdog buns, burger buns, baguettes, bagels, pretzels (ohhh soft pretzels with cheese dip and beer!) and other different types of breads, I make in the mixer.
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Where do you put the bread machine?

By the rice machine.

By the air fryer.

By the toaster.

By the pasta maker.

By the George Foreman Grill.

By the pancake griddle.

By the damn juice machine.

I 'aint got no more room

Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Mr Flexy's Happy Protg LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Where do you put the bread machine?
    LOL! My toaster broke a few years ago. I threw it out and haven't replaced it. I can make toast in the oven.
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Originally Posted by LisaSkinnoble View Post
    LOL! My toaster broke a few years ago. I threw it out and haven't replaced it. I can make toast in the oven.
    A little more counter space

Originally Posted by LisaSkinnoble View Post
    1) Breadmakers have really jumped in price and are difficult to find right now. My Zojirushi is on the blink - it's fine for making dough but it isn't cooking the bread thoroughly, so I looked for a new one and could only find one at William Sonoma for over $400. It seems everyone has turned to breadmaking during the pandemic!

I really liked my Zojirushi (and I hear Breville is excellent as well), but I also had a pretty inexpensive Sunbeam that lasted me for years too and it was fine. I will say that the Zojirushi is heavy and large. It fits under my kitchen island, and I can certainly lift it, but I doubt that an elderly person could. And, the machine is tall. I use it on my countertop and have to stand on tiptoes to see into it and to read the display.

I think I use my stand mixer (Mr Flexy bought me a Cuisinart that I LOVE!) or my arms more than I do the breadmaker now. The machine is convenient if you are short on time:
    2) you set it and walk away for a few hours, or, you can set it and put it on a timer so that you have fresh bread when you get home from work. .

1) That figures....we late to this party.

Half a grand is getting up there that's for damn sure.
    I did see the Breville one....we have had the Breville oven for many years and it's great.
    We rarely (being only two of us) have to fire up the big oven.
    I'll research that one further.
    We use that Breville oven for our toast aslo....works perfectly.
    It was about 250$.

Ha...my is only 5'2" so she'd be on her tip toes too.

2) Now that's what I'm talking about!

Thanks all for the G2 on this new quest.

Carry on....
    Original music:

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sour Dough Starter

1 package dry yeast
    1/2 cup lukewarm water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cups warm water
    2 & 1/2 cups tablespoons all-purpose flour

Mix yeast with 1/2 cup water. Mix sugar with 2 cups warm water and flour. Add yeast with mixture. Let set in glass jar and cover with a cloth for 5 days.

Sour Dough Potato Feed

Put the initial starter (above) in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Take out and feed with this mixture:

3/4 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons instant potatoes
    1 cup warm water

Mix well and add to starter. Let starter stand out of refrigerator all day (8 to 12 hours) or until very bubbly. Remove 1 cup to make bread and return the remaining to the refrigerator. Keep in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and feed again. If not making bread after feeding starter, throw away 1 cup, but it may be fed 2 to 3 times before using for any bread. This is to avoid depleting your starter.

Sour Dough Bread

1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup corn oil
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 cup potato fed starter (above)
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    6 cups white bread flour

In a large bowl blend sugar, oil, salt, potato starter, water and flour. This makes a stiff batter.

Grease another bowl, add dough and turn it over so that it is greased on all sides. Lightly cover with foil and let stand overnight (do not refrigerate).

Next morning punch down the dough. Knead a little. Divide into 3 parts and knead each part 8 to 10 times on a floured board.

Put into a greased loaf pan and brush with oil. Cover with waxed paper or tea towel. Let rise until doubled - 4 to 5 hours or all day, since the dough rises very slowly.

Uncover dough and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread tests done. Remove from pan and brush with butter. Cool on rack. Eat and enjoy. Wrap well and store. Refrigerate. Bread may be frozen.

Starter:

Initial bread:

Risen bread:

Bread first in pan:

Bread ready to bake:

Ready to eat!

EX IGNORANTIA AD SAPIENTIAM
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreatOldOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The recipie I just posted makes some wonderful bread. If you make it, you'll end up with something delicious which you could happily serve at a family gathering or for guests...assuming that ever happens again.

It takes a little doing to get going, but it's well worth it.

I've had the best luck finding bread flour at Publix, because I think they limit your purchases to two.

Try it out and enjoy!
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
    The recipie I just posted makes some wonderful bread. If you make it, you'll end up with something delicious which you could happily serve at a family gathering or for guests...assuming that ever happens again. It takes a little doing to get going, but it's well worth it. I've had the best luck finding bread flour at Publix, because I think they limit your purchases to two. Try it out and enjoy!
    Howdy G.O.O......

Good tips.

Yeah...that necessary process is certainly a time vampire.
    That would take some getting used to.

So....that's all one recipe?
    The BOLDED: Sour Dough Starter - Sour Dough Potato Feed - Sour Dough Bread are actually (3) sequential steps?

Just want to be sure.....thanks again for the details and taking the time.

Carry on....
    Original music:

The recipie I just posted makes some wonderful bread. If you make it, you'll end up with something delicious which you could happily serve at a family gathering or for guests...assuming that ever happens again.

It takes a little doing to get going, but it's well worth it.

I've had the best luck finding bread flour at Publix, because I think they limit your purchases to two.

Try it out and enjoy!
    I will try. Good post and thanks.

Howdy G.O.O......

Good tips.

Yeah...that necessary process is certainly a time vampire.
    That would take some getting used to.

So....that's all one recipe?
    The BOLDED: Sour Dough Starter - Sour Dough Potato Feed - Sour Dough Bread are actually (3) sequential steps?

Just want to be sure.....thanks again for the details and taking the time.

Carry on....
    It is a few steps...you first make this "starter", and then you "feed" it, and then you make the bread. Because it is a few steps, it turns some people off, but it's really not that hard. Just look at the recipie and read the whole thing a few times. I tried to take pictures for the sequential steps.

Let me know if you try it out and have questions...
    EX LUCE AD TENERBRAS

It is a few steps...you first make this "starter", and then you "feed" it, and then you make the bread. Because it is a few steps, it turns some people off, but it's really not that hard. Just look at the recipe and read the whole thing a few times. I tried to take pictures for the sequential steps.
    Let me know if you try it out and have questions...
    Will do.....

It seems there is some patience/technique that one must acquire and I'd guess one small error in the process could screw up the desired outcome.

You say "1 package of dry yeast".....are all packages the same weight or volume?
    "1 package" (in my,and my wife's obvious ignorance) just doesn't seem specific enough.

Thanks again for chiming in and the good tips and hope it helps others.

A good day to all....
    Original music: